Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Monte with a 6

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 04:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I think it would be cheaper and WAY easier to put a new engine in the camaro and call it a day. The amount of work it will take to convert your monte to RWD may not be reasonable for a DD. It will see alot of down time while it is being built and you will have to work out the bugs after its finished. The stock firewall and floor pans will need to be modified or replaced to make the car RWD. The rear structure of the car will need to be beefed as well, you cant just bolt the rear suspension into the rear of a FWD car and expect it to be stong enough to not flex. You wouldnt want to raise the car either. The montes are high enough in the first place, and raising it will just make the handling very poor.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:33 PM

thank you all for the help and advice...and ik what you mean that it wouldnt be a very good Daily Driver...but, itd be a sick car thats for sure...

Old 02-20-2011, 04:42 PM

5 Year Member

I dont mean that it wouldnt be good for a DD when finished, I mean it wouldnt be a good project to perform on your DD because of the time it would take and the kind of problems you may run into. If everything was done correctly and all the bugs were worked out, it would be an OK DD. Would be the kind of project you would want to have a beater to drive around until the work was 100% complete.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:43 PM

yeah, but even being a DD and the strains of driving it everyday could work something loose after awhile...i mean, yes this is true for every car...but even more so on something like this because of the tremendous amount of work having to be done

Old 02-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's always fun to dream. Dreams are free. It's where new and innovative things come from.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:50 PM

yeah, ive been dreaming about spending about 1,00 or more on ebay for interior and exterior lookin good...but i havnt really been dreaming too much about this...more the looks...ik it is already a fast car, and without the governor i can hit 135, so im happy lol...but i could take out the speedometer from that camaro too along with the engine and tranny and id most likely hit around 150...just sayin

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=26244

Old 02-20-2011, 05:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Might be easier to take the sheet metal from a monte and put it on an extended camaro or gto frame to go rwd....regardless it is something I would never even consider with so many rwd v8's coming out these days...

Entertaining thread...

Joe

Old 02-20-2011, 05:11 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by darkbb
yeah, but even being a DD and the strains of driving it everyday could work something loose after awhile...i mean, yes this is true for every car...but even more so on something like this because of the tremendous amount of work having to be done
Yeah, any custom built vehicle will likely never have the reliability of a factory car. They put thousands of hours and hundreds of millions of dollars into R&D, testing and quality control. Growing up around custom and classic cars you see examples of this all the time. No matter how much thought and attention to detail you put into building a vehicle, there will always be bugs and unexpected failures down the line. Its something you have to plan for with any project. If you dont, you are just asking for major trouble.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:12 PM

very true...

Old 02-20-2011, 06:36 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You need to just make one thread for all of this....