Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

metal sound??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Default metal sound??

ok i have a 02 3.8 ss and when i start it up it sounds like a metal on metal sound but its only for about a min when i start it sometimes not at all? i hit the gas sometimes it gets louder but goes away after about a min i heard a couple of people say bearings in the alternator cause i have been getting starting issues sometimes..does any know what this could be?

Old 12-04-2010, 08:00 PM

It's going to be damn near impossible for anyone to diagnose an issue based on a description of the sound the car is making on the internet.
You might have better luck if you can post a video, but honestly it's a stretch even then.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

If its a knocking/tapping sound and goes away after the car runs for a bit, then more than likely its the lifters. If its a louder knocking sound and gets louder with revs, but doesnt go away, it could be a rod bearing, but I doubt that with a 3800.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:01 PM

if you have a belt squeel it might be the altinator i agree with mrl390 i would do a oil change.i would let it warm up some when it it stone cold to let all the metel in the engine get the oil. in my opinion of corse but it is not to worrie to be honest i would check the level of oil it might be a shy low but other than that i would let it be as in do the oil and mantenence

Old 12-06-2010, 12:57 AM

Its not the lifters I had that problem wroth my 95 and I just had a oil change so its not thee oil.it sounds more like if somethings loose and Its metal but only sometimes it does it

Old 12-06-2010, 03:10 AM

Might be worth popping the flexplate cover off and taking a peek at it. Takes all of five minutes, and it's possible that a loose or cracked flexplate could be causing your issue.

What were the starting issues that you mentioned? What specifically was happening?

Old 12-06-2010, 01:38 PM

Ok I will try that...its like a delayed start sometimes when I go to start it..doesn't happen aol the timethough

Old 12-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Exclamation Same thing

thats what going on with my 00' monte but its worst when i go reverse its louder and when i brake it makes the most horrible sound i feel like its just going to break apart. grinds itself and gets stuck when reverse and brake is applied, maybe a oil change might do the trick ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Old 12-09-2010, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by BROWNIE-00'
thats what going on with my 00' monte but its worst when i go reverse its louder and when i brake it makes the most horrible sound i feel like its just going to break apart. grinds itself and gets stuck when reverse and brake is applied, maybe a oil change might do the trick ANY SUGGESTIONS???
Is one of your brake calipers stuck? Sounds like it would either be an issue with your brakes or with your transmission. I'd get it checked out by a professional honestly.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Cool

Ok hope its not anything serious, thanks!

Quick Reply: metal sound??