Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Transmission
T56 Magnum
1
50.00%
4L80e
1
50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Opinion Needed: Manual or Automatic

  #1  
Old 02-05-2019, 02:31 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 22
Default Manual or Automatic

I am currently planning a LS3 build for a 83-88 Monte Carlo SS but I havent quite settled on a transmission type. Both have about the same pros and cons for me. If I go auto I will use a 4L80e and if manual i will use the T56 Magnum. What is everyone's thoughts?
 
  #2  
Old 02-05-2019, 03:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,216
Default

Not enough info to make an informed choice. What's the intended use - drags, road course, street car, daily, etc? How much power do you plan to make? What setup do you plan to run?

In general -

If dig racing is the goal (street or strip), it's got to be a 4L. It's far easier to go fast consistently with an auto, and itll be easier to live with a big nasty drag racing cam.

For a 'weekend's street car, I'd go t56. It's a lot more engaging to shift your own gears and becomes an enjoyable part of the experience IMO.
 
  #3  
Old 02-05-2019, 03:24 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 22
Default

It will be mostly a street car with some track time. Looking at about a 95% street 5% track, probably less than that for track honestly. It will be a N/A LS3 that I will be building from the ground up. I am looking to make around 500-550 at the crank.
 
  #4  
Old 02-05-2019, 04:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,216
Default

IMO, T56 all the way. It's a lot lighter, consumes less power, and will even give better gas mileage. Also would be a lot more fun (again, IMO- even a MVB isnt the same experience to me).

Clearly either will easily handle the power. Only downside I see to a t56 is the initial cost. Certainly 'built' models of each can be comparable, especially depending how crazy you go. But if you were planning to just get a stock junkyard unit and chuck it in, it's easier and cheaper to get a 4l80.
 
  #5  
Old 02-05-2019, 09:24 PM
JuniorCar's Avatar

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 5,566
Default

Every car I've ever driven feels like it has an extra 20% hp with a stick in it vs. it's AT counterpart and it's way more fun to drive. T56 all the way
 
  #6  
Old 02-06-2019, 06:55 AM
drivernumber3's Avatar
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,208
Smile

I would take a manual over the Automatic every time. However you may have a tendency to ride the clutch or shift a bit screwy, may cause some fineness on the part of the driver.
 
  #7  
Old 02-06-2019, 09:55 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 22
Default

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte View Post
IMO, T56 all the way. It's a lot lighter, consumes less power, and will even give better gas mileage. Also would be a lot more fun (again, IMO- even a MVB isnt the same experience to me).

Clearly either will easily handle the power. Only downside I see to a t56 is the initial cost. Certainly 'built' models of each can be comparable, especially depending how crazy you go. But if you were planning to just get a stock junkyard unit and chuck it in, it's easier and cheaper to get a 4l80.
With all things being equal I am planning on buying new. whether I get the auto or amnual. I plan on spending a good deal of money on this project for the motor. it would be foolish to skimp on the rest of the drivetrain. The good thing is I have some time to save and plan so when it comes time to buy I should have a good chunk needed already.
 
  #8  
Old 02-06-2019, 02:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,216
Default

Originally Posted by drivernumber3 View Post
I would take a manual over the Automatic every time. However you may have a tendency to ride the clutch or shift a bit screwy, may cause some fineness on the part of the driver.
TBH, if the OP has either of those issues, then the T56 is not the right trans for this project. A performance clutch and 500+ crank hp car is not the right way to learn the basics of how to drive stick.
 
  #9  
Old 02-06-2019, 07:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,216
Default

Originally Posted by MechMan View Post
With all things being equal I am planning on buying new. whether I get the auto or amnual. I plan on spending a good deal of money on this project for the motor. it would be foolish to skimp on the rest of the drivetrain. The good thing is I have some time to save and plan so when it comes time to buy I should have a good chunk needed already.
That makes it a toss up on price then depending how extreme of a build you go. I'd still lean towards the T56 though, I dont really see any benefits to the 4L outside of a drag race application.

Shouldn't have to spend much on the engine though as your power goals are very reasonable. Just grab a donor engine from a reasonable mileage car, chuck a cam and headers on there and you're done. Add some ported heads or a pretty aggressive cam and you could easily hit your upper target. LS3s rock!
 
  #10  
Old 02-07-2019, 08:41 PM
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Isanti, MN
Posts: 829
Default

I use to has a 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass with a 3 and a 4 speed manual transmissions. Banging gears is a great time but I would go with the 4L80E . Either way is a great choice.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.