Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

LS to SS Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default LS to SS Engine Swap

Hey im new to the site as a member, this site has been my Monte Carlo Bible for the past few months. I have searched high and low for any straight forward info on a engine swap on a 2000 LS 3400 NA to something that can be upgraded past a simple CAI or Exhaust system For any worthwile gains in power...
First question, What would best my best bet to swap with?

L36 3800 series II non- sc
L67 3800 series II supercharged
L26 3800 series III non- sc
L32 3800 Series III supercharged
Lz9 3900
LS4 5.3L V8 FWD (in new MCs, Impalas, and GPs)

Would there be any Engine mounting issues? I believe the 3400 and the 3800 mount the same way for '00-'05...

Would i have to do any initial upgrades as far as engine components... Starter, alt, ect. I could fine no infor to campare my engines performance stats to such as alternator output ect...

PCM... All new im expecting...?

General guess as to how much needs to be relocated? Brake lines, fuel lines, wiring harness diferences?

Any potential issues im overlooking?

I have been workin on cars my whole life so i believe i posess the skills to do the labor my self, but i have only worked on Classic muscle cars... no electronics, no computers, no a/c, but a huge *** engine.

Any help is good help,

I would really LOVE to have a V8 in it, will it fit??? 5.7L...

Old 12-13-2009, 11:13 AM

I would say the L32 series III S/C with trans and PCM/wire harness, as well as the donor car's axles. The S/C handles heat better than the L67 S/C, it has more horses than the L67 and offers better fuel economy than the V8. I don't think the car's break and fuel lines need to be relocated with the L32, Idk about the V8 but you shouldn't have to do many things to make it fit. If you get an L32 get the whole engine/trans/PCM/Harness/Axles, and then have someone who knows about tuning, tune the car for maximum gains.

Idk about the 5.7! I've never heard of one swapped into these cars.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:47 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

If you are really serious about it, hell try for the LS4, I wanted to for a while but then I realized it doesnt have alot of mods to be done besides a turbo, and those arent cheap. My next choice would be an l32 series 3, the superchargers are awesome and they are very potent motors.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

didn't we just have a member join not that long ago thats doing a ls4 swap into a 6th gen...

Old 12-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

Just bumpes his new member thread screen name Dredd

Old 12-13-2009, 02:07 PM

if you want to do a v8 it would probably be easier and more cost effective to buy one with it in it already. there fairly priced now.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The L67 would be the best power for money one.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

L67 is the best for the swap for sure...It can be found easier than the L32, and more mod's are available, over all it will be cheaper.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:25 AM

I have searched high and low for any straight forward info on a engine swap on a 2000 LS 3400 NA to something that can be upgraded past a simple CAI or Exhaust system For any worthwile gains in power...
I have an L67 swap post sticky'd in one of these forums, the info should be 99% the same for you coming from a 3400. The only main difference will be which wiring harness you use (you'd use the same year as your car with a 3800) and you wouldn't have to make custom axles.

First question, What would best my best bet to swap with?

L36 3800 series II non- sc
L67 3800 series II supercharged
L26 3800 series III non- sc
L32 3800 Series III supercharged
Lz9 3900
LS4 5.3L V8 FWD (in new MCs, Impalas, and GPs)
As said above, L67 is the cheapest out of all of them- best bang for the buck. The LS4 is probably the worst option since it will be the hardest, and most expensive. Really though, if you're considering an L36, L67, LZ9, or LS4 - you should probably first ask yourself why you want to swap instead of just switching cars completely- that would be a whole lot easier, and you'd end up with a factory reliable car. The reason so many swap L67's into 5th gens is because they never came with it.

Would there be any Engine mounting issues? I believe the 3400 and the 3800 mount the same way for '00-'05...
No issues.

Would i have to do any initial upgrades as far as engine components... Starter, alt, ect. I could fine no infor to campare my engines performance stats to such as alternator output ect...
None of this matters- you buy a complete powertrain (all accys, trans, etc) and drop it all in.

PCM... All new im expecting...?
Use the one from the donor car- hence why its a good idea to get the trans too, so you don't have to have one custom programmed.

General guess as to how much needs to be relocated? Brake lines, fuel lines, wiring harness diferences?
Nothing should need to be relocated. The wiring harness will need to be completely swapped to a 6th gen monte that came with the engine you're swapping in. Depending what setup you go with- this could be a 100% plug and play swap.

I would really LOVE to have a V8 in it, will it fit??? 5.7L...
You could do the LS4, thats a 5.3L- and if you specifically wanted it to be a 5.7 for some reason, you could always overbore it I'd imagine. Any particular reason you'd want a 5.7? For reference, GM did put an LS1 into a newer impala, that was probably the basis for the LS4 which is virtually the same setup with minor tweaks.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:47 AM

OK. Tons of great info,

The reason for the swap: 3.4L nothing can really be done with it, and i have alot invented in the rest of the car... not worth a new one.

L32 vs L67 im hearing its more of an personal opinion, would i be correct?

I would say the L32 series III S/C with trans and PCM/wire harness, as well as the donor car's axles. The S/C handles heat better than the L67 S/C, it has more horses than the L67 and offers better fuel economy than the V8. I don't think the car's break and fuel lines need to be relocated with the L32, Idk about the V8 but you shouldn't have to do many things to make it fit. If you get an L32 get the whole engine/trans/PCM/Harness/Axles, and then have someone who knows about tuning, tune the car for maximum gains.
but the L67 seems cheaper and easier to find...

Preference.

Im seeing about 3K for the L67 engine at Milzymotorsports.
and im not finding many places with the L32...

Quick Reply: LS to SS Engine Swap