Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

low end power?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Default low end power?

maybe its just me but my 3800 seems to have no low end power...is there anything i can do to maybe boost it up a bit??....i'm open to just about any options out there

Old 04-23-2007, 07:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: low end power?

As someone once said, "There is no replacment for displacement!"[sm=gears.gif]

Old 04-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

you mean the acceleration right??

get rid of the u-bend, get a high flow cat, and get rid of the resonator...once you do this the car is a lot more responsive and takes off a lot faster...cold air intake helps a bit in the low end...but works really well in the high end too

Old 04-24-2007, 12:05 AM

AddME and I'll help your low end power.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:39 PM

k sweet ive just done the mufflers and intake am still working on the cat though....that will be the next thing on my list....thx

Old 05-02-2007, 08:51 PM

Hey wiz... did you remove the U bend, change the cat and get rid of the resonator? We have this wonderful emissions (%*# that we need to keep in mind. Just curious.. not sure how this will effect emissions...

Thanks

Old 05-02-2007, 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: 2003 SS

Hey wiz... did you remove the U bend, change the cat and get rid of the resonator? We have this wonderful emissions (%*# that we need to keep in mind. Just curious.. not sure how this will effect emissions...

Thanks
Removing the U-Bend and resonator doesn't effect emissions one bit.

The U-bend is there to protect the oxygen sensor but is fine plugged into the side of a straight pipe replacement for the U-Bend.

The resonator acts more like a muffler to help "resonate" the sound waves. By removing it the exhaust will be louder but more free flowing. Those are the trade offs.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:16 AM

Thanks 04 Intimidator!!! I'm just a bit leary on making big changes due to the emissions tests we need to go through.

Thanks again!!

Old 05-05-2007, 01:10 AM

i could care less....in alberta we dont have to do emission tests......so anythings possible to do

Old 05-05-2007, 09:30 PM

top swap off a 3800 SC! that will give you a big boost in power!

there are just so many mods out there. what do you want?

they have cams, headers, rockers... all of those work wonders for low end. you could buy a PCM or tuner.

for cheep mods, try the following:
-fwi fender well intake. its a cold air intake. basicly the one of the first mods to do.
-remove the Ubend. also a begining mod. will increase exhaust flow
-180* thermostat. wont increase power now, but will help later and protect the motor better then the stock 195
-make sure all maintenace is up-to-date. oil change, plugs & wires, trany service, a shop based injector cleaner, tire pressure, ect.
***only with the above should you move on to the real Mods***
these include:
-headers. these will increase exhaust flow to make more top HP and yet create more low end tq
-Larger TB either a Northstar conversion, or a ported unit. or you can port it yourself if you buy a spare at a junk yard.
-Rockers these increase the lift of the valves and get air in and out of the motor faster.
-cam this changes the entire profile of when the car breaths in and out and also the amount. big gains are found here.
- PCM or PCM tuner. changes the computers programing to optomize all the fuel and spark settings. this will make more power thruout the power band and also increase your gas milage.

hope these help. websites to look are are:
ZZPerformance.com
Wbodystore.com
3800performance.com
pfyc.com
and the order is in my preference when it comes to finding the best products for moding the car.

Quick Reply: low end power?