Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

A little insight with a BIG please

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default A little insight with a BIG please

Okay, there was some talk about manually shifting your auto trans and well Im a little confused. What Im really needing to know is, can I let my car shift by itself with it floored??

I do have a tuned PCM that is tuned to shift at 6K (im pretty sure) its from mike at milzy if that gives you any better idea.

And also, I was told by many people, including a very reliable sorce (actually a member here) that its okay to use the gearshift as long as you dont downshift. And the downside to this is I was told today in the specific post (also by a very reliable sorce) that its nothing but bad news, and a bad idea.

Now my question is, should I just be letting the auto do its auto business, or is it okay to use 1st from a roll and go to "D" from there??

The reason Im so concerned is, I went for a drive today after discussing this very topic in the post earlier to see what its all about (cause Ive never really used the gearshift in this manner (manually) so I did a little expirimenting (nothing drastic of course) and found that it shifts a little to high in the RPM range for me to be comfertable doing.

What Ive always done was let it get just to the faded kinda dotted redline ( what is it, about 57-58K?) and I would let off the gas just enough for it to shift to the next gear (usually just did it into 2nd, rarly 3rd, never any higher)

So, is there somthing Im missing, or should I just stay away from the gearshift all together? Will my car/trans be okay from flooring it and letting it just rev up to 6K and then shiift. What is the best route for me to go here.

Thanks ALOT in advance for clearing this up for me.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

dig out your manual and read up the gears are ment for holding a gear while towin, going up or down steep inclin/decline so you don't overheat the brakes, it's not going to kill your car if you shift it just don't beat the **** out it

Old 08-12-2010, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member

With having the half assed tuned pcm, would I just be better off letting it go on its own?? Id rather be doing the best possible option with it you know

Old 08-12-2010, 12:43 AM

i did it with my 86 monte and i loved the way it took off, ive also tried it with my 04 and i love the violent jerk when it takes off from 1st. the way i did mine was take off from 1st with traction ctrl off then when i felt it dragging, ill shift up to 2nd all the way up to D. im yet to figure out if it helps in anyway with a quarter mile and take off time. im sure bumpin96 got some words of advice for this.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

it's not the best for your motor or trans i don't know the specifics of newer cars but your better off letting it shift it's self when you get into the the higher rpm's you risk valve float as mentioned in the tread you where talking about

from what i've read on here going WOT from a dead stop will cause KR which is no good

it's all a drive at your own risk kinda deal

Old 08-12-2010, 12:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Don't waste your time shifting it. It's an automatic transmission, it's going to shift when it's supposed to anyway. And I don't recommend this, went through two transmissions doing that ****. Besides, if your shift points are at 6k, you don't need it going any higher or you're gonna pop a valve spring.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member

And just a FYI, I am a strong beliver in NOT going WOT from a dead stop. Im a huge fan of not doing that LOL. Its somthing I have said about 100 times here.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

If you are going to go WOT, just floor it, and let the transmission shift when its ready to shift, period.

DO NOT manually shift your automatic transmission, you're not going to see a performance difference, and its not good for it anyway.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:19 AM
10 Year Member

And there is the rare 4K neutral drop when I really wanna get em spinnin :p

Old 08-12-2010, 08:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There is no reason for this thread when your other one is still active.

Quick Reply: A little insight with a BIG please