Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Leaking antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Leaking antifreeze

Today I drove my 2004 SS Dale Jr edition for the first time since I bought it last Thurs. I noticed there was some antifreeze on the garage floor after I backed it out. I looked under the car and saw a little antifreeze on the right hand side Body mount which is under the overflow bottle. I looked all over and did not see any on the engine itself. The level in the bottle is at the line toward the top of the bottle. Could this antifreeze be coming from the overflow tube that comes out the side of the bottle? If so, why would it do this? The temp gauge shows normal so its not getting hot. The coolant was flushed last year and the green stuff put in. Thanks.

Wayne

Old 12-11-2009, 09:38 PM

If the reservoir is overfull, the coolant could rise up and out of the overflow tube once the engine reaches operating temperature. It could also be a sticky thermostat.

The best thing to do is check to make sure the coolant isn't above the "FULL COLD" line on the reservoir when the engine is cold. If it's below that line, start the engine and allow it to reach operating temperature (radiator fan will come on). Once that happens, keep an eye on the coolant level in the reservoir. If it keeps rising up and begins to overflow, you have a stuck thermostat.
Good luck!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:00 PM

Thanks, I will keep an eye on it.

Wayne

Old 12-14-2009, 08:03 PM

I still can't find where the leak is. That insulation stuff that covers the firewall is very wet at the bottom. The tube that comes out of the overflow bottle is dry so I don't think its coming from that. Its not under where the heater hoses go into the firewall.

Are there any hoses that go under where the overflow bottle is? Is there anything on the right side firewall that would leak coolant? Thanks for any help.

Wayne

Old 12-14-2009, 08:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Water Pump maybe? If a seal in the water pump is bad, maybe it is flinging coolant around when the engine is running???

Just a thought.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 PM

I don't see any antifreeze on the engine itself. Its just on the firewall and it ends up dripping off the body mount that is below where the overflow bottle is. I've felt the bottom of the bottle and its dry. This is just the kind of stuff I didn't want to have to deal with right off the bat.

Wayne

Old 12-14-2009, 08:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I totally understand where you are coming from, that sucks man. Sorry you're having to deal with this already.

Have you checked all the hose clamps to make sure they are all tight?

Old 12-14-2009, 09:13 PM

No, I haven't checked any of the hose clamps yet. From where it is leaking, I can't see anything that has antifreeze in it except the overflow bottle. I checked the ends of the heater hoses that go into the engine and they were dry. The ends of the heater hoses that go into the heater core is on the opposite side of the firewall from where its dripping. It doesn't leave very much antifreeze on the garage floor so its not a very big leak.

Yesterday when I checked under the car, I didn't see any antifreeze. Today when I moved the car out of the garage there was a little puddle The last day I drove the car before today was on Friday.

Tomorrow when they replace my tires, I'm going to ask if they can look under the car and see if they can see where its leaking.

Wayne

Old 12-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

that sucks for sure, make sure though that theres non on the body or paint work, it can eat right through the clearcoat and paint, wouldnt want that to happen on your new car or any car for that matter

Old 12-14-2009, 09:31 PM

I just went out to look at the car again. I think I might have figured out the leaking problem. The level in the overflow tank is pretty high. Its been about two hours since I drove it and its in the high 20's out right now. The level in the tank is about 1-2" from the overflow tube. There is a stain on the firewall insulation below the overflow tube. I'm thinking the antifreeze is splashing around in the tank while driving and coming out the tube. It is also possible its coming out when the coolant is hot. The cold level is way at the bottom of the tank. When I first looked at it the other day, I thought it was close to the top. I will have to take some coolant out and put it back to the correct level and see if I get anymore leaks.

Wayne

Quick Reply: Leaking antifreeze