Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   l36 to l67? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/l36-l67-18168/)

gothkid 01-23-2010 10:15 AM

I belive MilzyMotorsports offers the kit free of warp example

Gen III Eaton M90 Supercharger w/ throttle body, free of rotor damage or coupler play

That was from the top swap kit, yeah it maybe 1 grand but its everything you need gaskets, pcm and all that

jarheadbobandmax 01-23-2010 07:55 PM

the kits from milzymotorsports are complete harness.pcm.gaskets bolts and they have been checked as well as comming with a 90day warranty.

gothkid 01-24-2010 12:56 AM

yeah that sounds like a better idea to me personally

biggriggs 01-25-2010 03:59 AM

the kits from milzymotorsports are complete harness.pcm.gaskets bolts and they have been checked as well as comming with a 90day warranty.
They're also $1500 plus shipping.
Sure makes the $400 one sound appealing imo.

-Riggs.

ChibiBlackSheep 01-25-2010 08:42 AM

If people have the money to blow on "kits" more power to them.

Enzo354 01-25-2010 06:41 PM

Is the $400 with used gaskets and 170k heads and S/C?? Im sure everything there would need to be rebuilt.

biggriggs 01-25-2010 08:28 PM

Is the $400 with used gaskets and 170k heads and S/C?? Im sure everything there would need to be rebuilt.
I seriously doubt that the guy is trying to sell junk parts. There were so many of these engines built, that they aren't expensive.
You can find all of the parts for relatively cheap. Even lower mileage long blocks (under 50k miles) go for around $600 if you know where to look.
(I doubt the $400 kit comes with gaskets, as there are no gaskets in a top swap that you should be reusing...so I can't imagine anyone trying to sell off used gaskets in a top swap kit).

I'm curious though, why would you trust some guy charging $1500 more than you trust a guy charging $400?
You figure that a big markup means that you're getting brand new parts?
Because he has a fancy website that says everything is checked and guaranteed (speaking of which, how far does a guarantee go if the vendor you buy from does not do the install)?

If you're in the market, you could talk to the vendor directly. I'm sure every vendor would be willing to tell you the condition/mileage of parts before sale. I'd be curious as to what the mileage on the heads and supercharger in the Milzy kit is, considering that his engine swaps use engines with 80k plus on them. If you click on the link to buy a straight L67, you pay significantly more for any engine under 150k miles.

All of the 3800 vendors are more of less just dudes making stuff in a garage.
Doesn't mean they're all sketchy, or trying to rip you off. This is just a small market that doesn't have big money pumping through it. One upside to this is that if a vendor does start to pull sketchy business with their customers, word gets around very quickly and it becomes pretty easy to find out who is reliable and who isn't.

If I were going to be spending that much on parts from a vendor, I would be damn sure to be checking forums and talking to people that have experience with that particular vendor before I spent a dime.

That said, I don't have experience with either Milzy or the guy selling the $400 top swaps, but I wouldn't just discredit one or the other immediately based on price or the look of their website.

-Riggs.

03SS/00GSE/93LX 01-25-2010 10:17 PM

You'll still have $800-1000 total into your $400 top swap- $400 is a great deal for the hard parts and the guy selling them on RegalGS.org (Murphinator) is a stand up guy who is NOT selling junk. That said, when you factor in the cost of fluids, gaskets, miscellanious fasteners (you will lose/break some- that's just how it goes), tools, and whatever other odds and ends you need, you'll end up with much more than $400.

Is it worth spending an exra ~$500 to buy from a vendor and get everything you need all at once? That's up to you.