Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

L36 - l67

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
Default L36 - l67

Hey guys im lookin to swap over on a budget, and i had a few questions

What is the difference between the L36 and L67 heads? and can i get head work done to make it work?

Are you guys happy with the swap?

Old 12-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know exactly what you mean when you say "can i get head work done to make it work" but if you're talking about will L67 heads fit on your engine block, then the answer is yes. The main difference between L36 and L67 heads are that the fuel injectors are in the L67 heads, whereas the injectors our in our LIMs in the L36.

It would be great for you to do a top swap, that way you have a little higher compression which will help you make more power.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You should also weigh your options in terms of just swapping an entire engine/ tranny from an L67 loaner car. It might be cheaper if you look hard enough. Then you can get a new tranny, and engine (with lower milage than you have already we are assuming).

Old 12-22-2009, 04:19 PM

What is the difference between the L36 and L67 heads?
As said above, fuel injector holes are drilled on L67 heads.

and can i get head work done to make it work?
As far as I know, the earlier L36 heads did still have the bosses, but as some point they changed and removed them. If you had the bosses in your heads- then you could have a machine shop drill them- but is it really worth the money? I've seen L67 heads go as cheap as $50/pair- and most go pretty cheap since there's nothing special about them- I imagine getting all the measurements and having a machinist properly drill/seat them would cost just as much as just buying the L67 heads in the first place.

Are you guys happy with the swap?
Personally, I did the complete L67 swap- but it really depends what you want to do. If your engine has decent, lower mileage and is in good shape- then a top swap is a much cheaper option. However, you have to understand that you can't swap it with the stock SC pulley (3.8") and not have knock. Many L67's have a little knock stock on premium, and you're talking about adding almost a full compression point. So IMO if you plan to do a top swap, you really should either look into using ZZP's 4.2" pulley- or look at doing some supporting mods with the top swap (something like rockers, a DP, and a PLOG would make nice cheap upgrades you could do while you're in there that will pick up some pretty good HP)- or even some cheap headers.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:29 PM

or u can do like i did and do and ssm90 swap with a custom lim from zzp and u dont have to screw with the heads saved alot of hassle imo i but the twin belt drive on from a gtp and i diddnt have to screw with anything major on my engine

Old 12-23-2009, 04:01 PM

or u can do like i did and do and ssm90 swap with a custom lim from zzp and u dont have to screw with the heads saved alot of hassle imo i but the twin belt drive on from a gtp and i diddnt have to screw with anything major on my engine
Here's the problem with that:

on a budget
The required fuel logs alone are $450 (and out of stock now too)- entire top swap setups have sold for little more than that (granted with higher mileage). Then add to that $175 for supercharger work, $175 for the lower intake, $110 for the pulley- and you're talking a good chunk of money. Sure the install is a good deal easier- but for someone on a tight budget, its much much cheaper to do a top swap.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:57 AM

i only have about 500 bucks in my complet set up and the furl logs arnt required if you have any fabricating knowledge mine are cut with an fitting brazed on and braided stinledd line inbetween cost me 15 bucks and all u have to do is watch club gp there is alaway somone selling a kit hell im thinking about selling mine b4 to long and goin turbo

Old 12-31-2009, 04:20 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Dont forget about how much it costs for all the gaskets...

Old 01-03-2010, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member

alright i feel like i have left out some info.

I own a 1998 Monte Carlo Z34

well at the moment my car sits on 160k and runs like a dream

and according to the swap section alot of the 98 z34 parts such as the tranny and all that stuff.

My end result is a nice show car, not over the top racing. Like the member (Bumpin96monte) that had the nicely polished superchager. I saw that and i wanted it.

Haha Bumpin it was u that had the blower i wanted lol

Last edited by gothkid; 01-03-2010 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:44 PM

i only have about 500 bucks in my complet set up and the furl logs arnt required if you have any fabricating knowledge mine are cut with an fitting brazed on and braided stinledd line inbetween cost me 15 bucks
I was refering to people who buy the SS kit for its ease of install as a bolt on- assuming they need the extra ease of install because they aren't as familiar with mechanics (and fabricating) to do a full top swap- obviously a lot of stuff can be done much cheaper with self-fabrication.

Like the member (Bumpin96monte) that had the nicely polished superchager. I saw that and i wanted it.

Haha Bumpin it was u that had the blower i wanted lol
Thanks for the compliment! I definitely miss having the polished blower look with my new all black whipple- I may end up polishing it eventually. I used to get all kinds of looks rolling around with the hood off, and the big polished blower sticking out of the top

Now its sitting in a box in my bedroom- still not sure what I'm gonna do with the polished M90. My plan before I traded my old 99 gtp in was to stick it on there, but that idea is shot now. Still toying with the idea of top swapping my impala- but I think it might be kindof a waste with such an otherwise relatively boring looking car. Who knows....

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 01-04-2010 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: L36 - l67