Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Kick Down Cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Kick Down Cable

I got a pic here. I hope you all can help me out with somthing. I hate the "lag" you get when you floor it and it takes that good second to switch into the lowest gear. My question is, can you adjust this thing so it will switch sooner? It looks like it is threaded so I think it is in fact adjustable. If anything, I hope I can at least tighten it to where I dont have to push the gas down so far to get it to switch and also, Im thinking, if it will switch gear sooner (with the gas pedal down less) that by the time it is floored, it will change gear, thus making it get into lower gear sooner>>
I really hope somone can help me here, and thank you.
Kick Down Cable-kdca.jpg

Old 06-16-2010, 07:18 PM

I can't view the pic at all- however, we don't have a kickdown cable. The only cable going to your transmission should be the shifter cable. Everything else is done within the PCM.

If you want it to downshift with less throttle, then you need a tuned pcm to make those changes (much nicer with the GTP's having the performance shift so you can do two separate table sets). Only thing that will make it quicker is decreasing the shift times (don't remember if there are downshift times?) in the pcm and upping the line pressure to make the actual shift happen quicker.

Not a whole lot you can really do about it though, its an automatic- so it has to wait until a certain input threshold is crossed before it will command a downshift.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:40 PM

pretty sure that cable is for your cruise control anyways. just like bumpin sayed. get your shift points changed mine are changed.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:12 AM
10 Year Member

IDK if its for the cruise? It could be for sure though?? But Im very happy with the shift points/shift firmness that are tuned from MMS, its just the time it takes... Say Im going 35MPH and I wanna floor it to get it into 1st, the time between the 2nd to 1st is what I dont like, there is like this lag. I mean, the time it takes to go from 2nd to 1st is almost a second and Im wanting it to shift into lower gear quicker. The pic I posted is somthing that goes down to the lever on the transmission, thats why I thought it was a kickdown cable. Did I explain this good enough?? Its not the shift points or the shift firmness Im concerned with (I love the firmness and higher shift points) it the lag that there is when Im wanting it to get into lower gear, From the time I put the pedal to the floor and the time it actually shifts into a lower gear is about 1 sec. As I speed up though, the higher the gear that it is shifting down to, that time isnt as bad as 2nd-1st. Another thing I wanted to mention, the thing I posted a pic of is adjustable via threads>> when you tighten it, it tightens the cable that leads to the lever on the trans?? IDK, it just might be somthing Im stuck with huh?? i just dont understand why that thing has threads. Whatever, Im getting my GTP in a few months and that is what im gonna be worried about making fast. Im just grounding my monte and putting some different rims on (MB motorsports drifters:chrome 18")

Old 06-17-2010, 11:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

40mph WOT lag is common, a good street tune is the only thing that can help you. We know you have higher pressures and everything, but that's just with a canned tune from Milzy.

If you want it gone, you need a real tune. Electronic controls will always have a lag to them though, it's just how much you can minimize it.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member

So what exactly would a real tune come from?? Like somone with a tuner do custom stuff to my PCM?? Instead of the "one size fits all" kinda thing Mike does?

Old 06-17-2010, 03:09 PM

15 Year Member

Yeah, someone with tuning software sits with a laptop plugged into your OBDII port, and you drive around and they monitor what's going on. Make changes, flash your PCM, drive around some more, monitor various things, change things that you want changed. etc. etc.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member

How hard would this be for me to do?? Is it simple enough to learn, or do you need to know a little more about engines and such.
Anyway, thanks. I guess Im probably gonna have to find somone around here to do this huh?

Old 06-17-2010, 03:34 PM

15 Year Member

It's not the easiest thing in the world.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member

Alright then, Im gonna start my search for somone who can do it for me. Thanks though

Quick Reply: Kick Down Cable