Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 01:18 AM
Default K&N Air Filter

Hey, I am 17 and just got my first car, a 2006 Monte Carlo.

I was wondering how good are the K&N Filters and what makes them stand out.

If you guy's could give me any more ideas to start add stuff to it I would be thankfull.

Oh and by the way I make $250 every two weeks, so it has to go with thatbudget.

-Tanner

Old 06-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Default RE: K&N Air Filter

Welcome to MCF Tanner.

KN is a great filter and will help improve your gas milage and HP. It allows more air through than a stock filter and uses oils to catch the dirt.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:02 PM

for the economy minded, the K&N is a reusable air filter as well, wash and re-apply the oil and it's good as new...
Some will say that using Royal Purple oil will regain HP lost to friction, but it's been a while since I looked into it. You will probably find yourself looking at exhaust components in the near future too. it's a vicious cycle

Old 06-30-2008, 08:07 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

what engine is in it... what trim package? LT, LTZ or SS?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:55 PM

I will be posting pics tommorow. It is the LT model, has 30,000 miles on it and its silver.

So what do you suggest I start on after the K&N air filter?

Old 07-01-2008, 12:08 PM

I agree with the exhaust suggestion. Think of the engine as an air compressor, the more air you can get in and out of it the better it is. So, plan on a new exhaust system next.

But then, you'll need more fuel to burn along with the increase air flow, soyou'll have to getbigger injectors to flow more fuel, and a bigger cam to open the valves further to let the increased fuel/air mixture into the cylinders.....more spark to ignite the fuel/air mixture so you'll need better coils and plug wires.......higher compression pistons to really pack the fuel/air mixture so itslams a solid punch when fired.....and of course, you can only get so much air/fuel into a naturally aspired engine, so you'll need a turbo or s/c to pack it in......then the trans won't hold up so you'll need to upgrade it.....then the suspendsion/tires won't put all that HP to the ground.....the brakes won't stop it quick enough now that you're going faster.......IT NEVER ENDS!!! Get out while you can!!! Onceyou catch car fever, you're in it forever!!! You'll spend every dollar you can get your hands on and every waking moment on that car. Family and friends won't be able to help you. Maybe you can go on Dr. Phil's show for some help......but that's no guarrantee. The only thing you can safely do is sell the Monte and buy a Prius. Make it a white one. It's hard to catch car fever in a Prius. But then again, it's hard to make friends or get a girlfriend if you drive a Prius. Oh, well, you can't have it all.

Thaks for letting me rant. Do the exhaust next.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:09 AM

What kind of exhaust do you recommend. I do want something that can keep the same gas mileage I already have is possible.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:35 AM

Do a search on here. There has been several threads on exhausts. Just read what everyone else has and make your choice. Any exhaust will probably increase gas mileage simply by increasing your car's efficiency. Unless, of course, you like the extra power and keep your foot in the accelerator.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:00 PM

Oh, for the people who wanted to know the engine and the trim here you go.

My dad is using his camera at work.

http://www.janzengmc.com/VehicleDetails/965702924

Old 07-02-2008, 06:21 PM

nice car....you're selling it or is this identical to yours?

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter