Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

just got back a pulled rebuilt 3.5 back

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 08:20 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default just got back a pulled rebuilt 3.5 back

well last year i puttled out a 3.5 v6 out of a impalla. i took it over to a machine shop and told them to do there magic what i mean is what i plan on putting a turbo on it to get out the most hp out of it. keep in mind it is for gigles and if some thing goes wrong with mine i will have a rebuilt one for mine. i have seen the work order when i picked it up today i spent my tax return on. they fully built it to what i understand is the honed the crank put in better berrings and a better oil pump. on the top eng they ported and polished the heads put in better valves and springs and they ported and polished the intake and put in a cam to match the spring rate and may be a turbo to complement it.i think where they got the valves and cam and springs. they seem to be the basicly the good type they put in the top end valve end seals and gaskets. right now i am waiting for my day off for them to dyno stand the engine to see what the hp is so i will do the math on what the rest of the power train will delete from. what i mean is the hp raiting and where the hp drains from and do the math. when i get the money i will think out and plan out what the next step is get a trans from tripple edge and just put them in together. also keep in mind i have a engine square stand that i had my mustang engine on whenn i built it. i will be able to have it sit on that for a week or two when i can trans plant the engine. the bright side i have a extra raidiator to hook up to it so i can have it sealed in a way to have it not rust the inlet. bright side i cant wait to see what the numbers are for it i also could sell it to some one who needs a engine. sorry for the long post i wanted to see what us 3.5 guys need to do to squeeze out the most out of the engine.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:55 PM

i have seen the work order when i picked it up today i spent my tax return on.
A full engine build and turbo setup off the money from a tax return- jeez, ever think about reducing the amount of tax money they take out of your checks so you don't get such a massive return back? No reason to let the government have an interest free loan all year- especially if its a large amount. Mind saying about what it cost to build?

they fully built it to what i understand is the honed the crank put in better berrings and a better oil pump.
Just out of curiosity- but why did they machine the crank and upgrade the bearings? Are the 60* engines known for bearing issues? If it had a spun bearing, why not just pick up another short block- I'd imagine they're pretty cheap like 3800s, rather than spend all of the money to machine it?

While they had the bottom end apart, did they put in lower compression or stronger pistons or anything?

put in a cam to match the spring rate
Specs on cam?

and may be a turbo to complement it.
I'm confused- so you had them add a turbo or not yet?

right now i am waiting for my day off for them to dyno stand
With the turbo or without? I imagine if they did true 'turbo' build, that its not going to make decent numbers without the turbo, right? I mean heads ported with forced induction in mind, low compression, and a turbo spec cam is probably going to make for a pretty crumby NA run I'd imagine, since that isn't at all what it is designed to do.

i will be able to have it sit on that for a week or two when i can trans plant the engine. the bright side i have a extra raidiator to hook up to it so i can have it sealed in a way to have it not rust the inlet.
I wouldn't bother hooking it up to a radiator outside of the car, especially if it is only for a week. If you're worried about junk getting in the cooling system- just leave the coolant in the bottom end, and cap off the coolant connections.

i also could sell it to some one who needs a engine.
So you're thinking about selling the new engine, or the old one from your car?

The other question I had- if the goal was to do a turbo build, wouldn't it make more sense to pay the shop to weld up turbo plumbing and mount a turbo on your engine, rather than paying all the money to rebuild some other engine? I'd just imagine for the price of what you paid for this one- you probably could've had them just install a turbo system straight up on your car as is.

Any pics?

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-18-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

x2^

Old 05-19-2012, 09:28 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

it was for three years for that one and they are doing the pluming for a turbo that i pulled off of a vw jetta some one that didnt get to have a chance to pull it off or there dad got ride of it before he or she tutched it. i know it is the t2 type and i pulled off the blow off valve and every thing i could that didnt need to be moded for pluming. i am thinking about selling the old engine to be honest the shop told me they are doing a normal warm up and heat up befor the test and they hooked up the turbo and the blow off valve. they are just waiting for tuesday to have me see it run befor it gets installed. i saved majority of the money for it i just think i should have paid the rest off of my car first the total of the engine and what has been done is the same amount i owe. about 4,500 total. it is not bad to be honest the shop said they were more doing it for there experence as well as helping me because they have done the 2.8 4.3 and the 3800 type 2 and 3 engine builds. the owner said he wants to say that his techs can do what they say. more and less put there foot where there mouth is with out putting out smoke. the owner did say becare full of the trans he knows about tripple edge perfomance he has one in his buick that he built into a sleeper. ironically i didnt know he did that till i seen him blow past me like i was sitting still. i will be getting the specs for every thing including the cam. the engine i got came out of a rear ended car that had i think 190k on it. the most engines i came across most of the salvage yards wanted more for them due to the fewer miles on them like 65000 to 79000 on them they wanted 900 to 1500 for them. the work i had them due i had been saving for so i could be happy with it i know i could have a ls4 and drop it into it but i wanted some thing different the same setup but custom unique. be able to sya it is the 3.5 with a turbo and have a true car person who knows what there looking at will know it is built. one of the guys has a monte with the same engine he said he is pluming his and doing a templet for others who come to them to do the same set up . there is anouther set up templet for the ss 7 th gen as well they have but it will be the same price. about 1500 to install. right now i need to set the funds off to the side for the y pype and headers they made for that turbo i picked up also the hoses for the blow off valve. i am going to wait and see what the numbers are with and with out the turbo and see how much really the inter cooler setup is going to be when i get the engine in. and go from there do it peace by peace to get it right with out problems.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:18 AM

they are doing the pluming for a turbo that i pulled off of a vw jetta
Just curious, but why go with such a small turbo? I'm no VW expert- but aren't the highest power stock turbo jettas only getting mid 200's to the wheels? Just seems like a stock turbo for that small of an engine would choke out pretty quick on an engine nearly double the size of what it came on. Just seems like for all the money put into it- that it would've been better to stick a nice midsize aftermarket turbo on there.

i think 190k on it. the most engines i came across most of the salvage yards wanted more for them due to the fewer miles on them like 65000 to 79000 on them they wanted 900 to 1500 for them.
So all of the machine work labor and rebuild parts + the cost of the 190K mile engine cost less than the $900 that a low mileage engine would have?

about 4,500 total.
Just curious, but wouldn't it have been cheaper to just have them do a turbo kit on your engine/car without going through all of the hassle of rebuilding a different engine and swapping that?

Definitely post some pics, and dyno charts- should be interesting to see what it makes on that tiny turbo!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:02 AM

daring to be different is often costly and ends up with mixed results. it could be a monster or make less power than a bolt on ls4. i'm going to go with the latter. dynoing this thing without the turbo is going to be pretty pointless. i'd be surprised if it makes the power of a stock 3500. then again, i could be totally wrong. these posts are often difficult to follow and being filled with tons of spelling and grammatical errors makes it worse.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:34 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

My head hurts, but I can't wait to see results.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

sounds cool I wat to see pics if you get it going together.
@spelling and grammar have no place on a public forum.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
sounds cool I wat to see pics if you get it going together.
@spelling and grammar have no place on a public forum.

might want to check yours also..... sorry Lou, I try and make sure everything I say also looks correct......

Old 05-21-2012, 06:57 AM

[QUOTE=lougreen03
@spelling and grammar have no place on a public forum.[/QUOTE]

well if people cant make out what you're trying to say seems pointless to even waste time posting at all. then again perhaps it gives you something to do.

Quick Reply: just got back a pulled rebuilt 3.5 back