Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Idle Cylinoid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 03:55 AM
Default Idle Cylinoid?

Hey guys, quick question. . .I have a friend here at work that has a 95 MC Z34. Now the car is in almost perfect condition, with one minor problem.

On cold starts the car will idle really high for a few seconds and then drop really low in RPM's to even dying sometimes. . .But once the car gets to operating temp, its idle's fine. So we ran it by the shop and they said they had no idea. . .well we ran it to another shop and the guy said that the idle cylinoid is bad. . .now I know some of you here have Z34. . .and do you guys know where the Idle cylinoid is located and what it looks like? The guy said it should be somewhere around the intake??? We have no idea. So we were wondering if we could get some help. And how hard would it be to replace it???

Even then, if you guys might think its sometime else, please let us know. Since its winter time and its so cold here, it sounds really bad when it revs so high, then drops so low to almost dying, sometimes even dying. Much thanks in advance for the help.

MonteriderLS.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Default RE: Idle Cylinoid?

if it was the idle air control valve (not called idle solonoid on these cars) it would have the prob regaurdless of if the engine was warm or cold.

from my experience, it sounds like a vac leak. these engines are prone to leaking at the lower intake manifold gasket. this site has writeups on how to replace the gasket. it is a very common problem with the 3.4L DOHC

im not sure where the valve is on the 95 engine, but on my 96 (different throtle body) it is shapped like a roll of film and its opposite of the throtle cables on the TB.

deff check vac lines, but since the prob goes way after warm up, that is a dead ringer for inake gasket leak cause as the engine warms up the parts expand and close the leak.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:39 AM
Default RE: Idle Cylinoid?

ORIGINAL: monteriderLS

Hey guys, quick question. . .I have a friend here at work that has a 95 MC Z34. Now the car is in almost perfect condition, with one minor problem.

On cold starts the car will idle really high for a few seconds and then drop really low in RPM's to even dying sometimes. . .But once the car gets to operating temp, its idle's fine. So we ran it by the shop and they said they had no idea. . .well we ran it to another shop and the guy said that the idle cylinoid is bad. . .now I know some of you here have Z34. . .and do you guys know where the Idle cylinoid is located and what it looks like? The guy said it should be somewhere around the intake??? We have no idea. So we were wondering if we could get some help. And how hard would it be to replace it???

Even then, if you guys might think its sometime else, please let us know. Since its winter time and its so cold here, it sounds really bad when it revs so high, then drops so low to almost dying, sometimes even dying. Much thanks in advance for the help.

MonteriderLS.
I've got the same exact car (year/model with 105K miles) with the same exact problem. I am in the middle of replacing my intake (upper and lower) gaskets to solve this problem, and am also replacing my timing belt as it is original.
BTW, my upper intake gasket was the problem (cracked), the lower gasket appeared fine, but I'm changing it anyways.
Here's a link to a step by step upper and lower intake gasket replacement: http://60degreev6.com/showthread.php?t=24977
Good luck,
jogasz28