Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Idiot of the week goes to?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Idiot of the week goes to?

Sorry. You did not win. I however am the idiot of the week. Maybe even the idiot of the year.
Been working on my newest 1980 Monte Carlo. Redoing my interior. Decided to go with SS Cluster and move the shifter to the floor. Got me a new B&M Hammer shifter fresh out the box with instructions. I never use instructions but I do look at the pics. This time around Ive read the instructions front to back and still couldnt get the shifter shifting rite. I almost had to get on here to ask for help trying to get it adjusted rite.
Out of the box the shifter is set up for a 3spd trans. Just remove a c-clip and pin and its ready for a 4spd trans. Done that rite. Now to adjust cable gotta put shifter in low and trans in low and make sure cable slips in hole easily. Done that rite. Then put both shifter and trans in park and tryed gettin cable back in the hole but I was comin up 1/4 inch short. I pissed and moned for two days tryin to figure out. Even tryed 3 differant new cables.
Why I deserve Idot of week award.
My SS Cluster has DD21. My original cluster had D21. Any body see my problem? How did I miss that? After setting my shifter up for a 3spd it works great now. I guess thats what I get for buying a car and only driving it one time befor takin it all apart.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:04 AM

Hi `Bob,
We live & sometimes we learn from our mistakes...I seem to have to make many mistakes to learn some lessons...

That's what is great about automotive forums is that we can learn a lot of information & learn from others mistakes on their vehicles....& hopefully not repeat them!

When I read your thread topic, I thought maybe I was getting another reward...
Some of the member's sent me the below award

I'm so proud of it 4-Sure ~>

Attached Thumbnails Idiot of the week goes to?-award.jpg  

Last edited by Space; 01-18-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Sometimes the simplest things get overlooked, especially after working on a particular part for a long time. Just one more story to add to the overall completed project. The story's are what makes it so much fun.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:26 AM
10 Year Member

Nice award man. Im self taught at everything. Im gonna mess up or just not use my head from time to time. Problems aint problems for me. They just issues that need tweeked a lil.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011

HA! nice

Old 01-18-2012, 11:20 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Ive made dumb mistakes like that before, usually have a good laugh after it all lol

Old 01-18-2012, 11:26 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Haha that sucks, but now you know more about your car

Old 01-18-2012, 07:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thats funny but not......the frustration is emmense! And intense.....sometimes its the little things that mess with us the most.....glad you found the problem!.....i usually sleep on it...and in the middle of the night i wake up and say to myself...dave ur an idiot! Why didnt i think of that right away....daaaaaaaa !!!! But hey thats just me !!! 2 thiumbs up for getting it resolved!!

Old 01-19-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Ive made dumb mistakes like that before, usually have a good laugh after it all lol
yep or the phrase that you come up with when your working on something, like just the other day when i was working on this civic for my buddy, and i couldnt get the head of the motor off and i was like "Come on you two dollar w***e"

Old 01-21-2012, 09:46 AM
10 Year Member

Got to test out the shifter yesterday. Man it makes drivin way more fun. Put almost 20 miles on her. Cant wait to get plates and insurence on it so I can go farther. Really only went five miles but spinning tires racks up extra miles. Gonna finish up interior today and later this week swap my 305 for a 350 befor I get the Monte back out. Better take my z28 out one last time befor I take its engine for my Monte. Think Ill swap my 3spd trans for one of my 4spd trans while Im swaping parts around. Gonna have to do some painting as the z28 engine is painted purple. Ill take pics as I go.

Quick Reply: Idiot of the week goes to?