Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

I NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Default I NEED HELP

ok so i got a 2001 monte ss with40 flows, k and N intake cut rez and shaved the throttle body pluse a 180 stat but i dont know what to do next its a daily driver so i want to stay away from cams and rockers and headers. im thinking bigger throttle body high flow cats, or porting the headsand im also looking into the ram air hood not sure if its worth the money for it though. anyway it be great if u guys could give some suggestions.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:26 AM
Default RE: I NEED HELP

do a reprogrammer or even a mild cam wont hurt you on the streets to much.

but i would love to knwo more about the throttel body your talking abou there or how you figured out how to do it etc... I hav e a03 SS i would liek to do soemthign to . want some more throttel resonse out of it.

and somthign to give it a bit more grunt.

Oh also if you havent done it yet do the "U" bend delet. and a down pipe . those seem to make a pretty good diffrence also.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:05 AM

imcant remember if your SC'd or not mickey.... but im guessing your NA still

to get the most street-able power out of an NA car this is what you need to do... get the air in and out much faster/easyer:
-Cold Air Intake. i have yet to see an off the shelf CAI that can beat the performance of a properly made FWI. and they dont cost much to make. if you have the filter you can build it for under $50 for a near perfict design

-Ported TB:there are some restrictions in the TB's on the 3800's the SC'd guys upgrade to a north star TB but this is too much for NA in most cases. some light home porting with a dremal can deff help

-HV3 intake manifold from ZZPerformance.com its an improved spacer that goes into the intake manifold. i have a few friends that have used them and they did see a nice increase in power.

from the sound of it you dont want to do cams or rockers... but i would personally recomend a set of 1.7's or 1.8 rockers.

-PCM tuner. above any other mod! tuning the car should be priority #1 no mater your mod level there is power to be gained from tuning. even as the weather changes over a month there is performance gains you can take advantage of! its also not only for power! it is to keep the car runing safely and you can greatly increase MPG which is very important for a daily driver car.

also removing weight is a good trick to add some acceleration to the car... also wider tires for better grip off the line.

stiffer engine mounts will also help the engine from rocking when launching... i have a poly upper engine mount and a lower trany mount. with them and my wider tires, my Tq steer is non-existent! i can take my hands off the wheel and launch the car and it will go straight!

other things to consider is just general maintenace... new plugs wires, fuel filter, trany service, oil change,....making sure all the ground wires in the engine bay are clean and good w/ no corrosion... no point adding a mod if your not getting the most out of what you have!

Old 01-20-2008, 08:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Hey pheonix, do you know where I can get poly engine mount bushings? I am looking for onesfor the upper mount (dog bone).FFP is no longer in business and I cant find any other place that would have them. Any suggestions?

Old 01-20-2008, 09:07 AM

nah i wish i could have gone with the S.C. but im not that rich LOL

but if it counts i missed the 04SS with the S.C. by like a week when i bought mine. I guess this is wha ti get for not doing more reserch on my new car , but honestly it was part a need for a new one and part a impulse by. we happen to get adeal neiterh of us could affored to walk away from it.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ORIGINAL: mrl390

Hey pheonix, do you know where I can get poly engine mount bushings? I am looking for onesfor the upper mount (dog bone).FFP is no longer in business and I cant find any other place that would have them. Any suggestions?
Keegan, ExplosiveSounds, has a set of slightly used Intense poly motor mounts for sale. They are stiff, like my ZZPerformance set, and you will feel the car shake at a low idle. But he has a set for sale

Old 01-23-2008, 05:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I noticed the link in his sig the other day butI dont think 3.8 motor mounts work on the LQ1. I have the dogbone style motor mount with round bushings and the 3.8s have different mounts with square bushings. Thanks anyway.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:28 AM

i have heard something about "flipping" the front mounts helps more power get to the wheels how do i do it and what tools and time is needed?

Old 06-01-2008, 09:06 AM

if i understand "flipping" correctly it just stiffens the mount and doesnt let the engine rock as much when launching but it will b a slightly rougher ride with the mounts flipped

Old 06-01-2008, 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: kweef

if i understand "flipping" correctly it just stiffens the mount and doesnt let the engine rock as much when launching but it will b a slightly rougher ride with the mounts flipped
You won't notice it in the car as far as the ride is concerned. Flipping does help a bit when launching but doesn't compare to a poly mount.

Quick Reply: I NEED HELP