Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

I know this is repitive but....

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Default RE: I know this is repitive but....

ORIGINAL: dustybird3

06MC, I see that Castrol makes a high milage oil. Would that be the better one to use?
Thanks for the info.
I don't know much about "high milage oil" but my guess would be more additives and thats not good, the more additives the worst the oil is in my opinion. I would stick to Castrol GTX in whatever wt. you have been using.

GM just removed Castrol GTX from their approved oil list.
They are back on the list My guess was to hawk mobil they dropped castrol but they are back so no warranty issues. Castrol and Valvaline are the only dino oils I would use. But they don't even come close to synthetic. Just not practical or cost effective in some cases.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:32 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

To be honest I have no idea what's in it now. The GM dealership changed the oil when I bought it (bought used). It just has a sticker in the window saying "GM parts" and when the next oil change is due which was in 3K. No warranty left on mine anyway, so that part isn't an issue, I just want to use the best I can in it.

Also while I was waiting for them to change my defective cat, I heard one of the service guys on the phone. Evidently the person on the other line was asking about the oil life monitor. He told them that just because it said you could go longer on the oil change than 3K, thattheyrecommend it still be changed at3K because they've seen what it looks like inside even with the monitor. My mom just bought an '08 truck and the salesperson at another GM dealership told her to go by the monitor. Supposedly the monitor goes off of the rpm's and such from what I understand. Ot course that's with regular oil, not synthetics.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:51 AM

CONVERTS LMAO!!!!!!!!! man we sounf DIRTY LOL

actually the thing i do is change at the same as if it was the fossil oil. i just try to make it stay clean or at least try it

Old 12-23-2007, 11:20 AM

Synthetic oil is the best dustybird3 hands down, Just not cost effective in a daily driver. Unless you have mickeys money[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 12-23-2007, 12:05 PM

my money LMAO!!!!!!!! Man i wish i had money.
but now you have me curious, why is it not cost effective in a daily driver?

the cost part of it is defently not fun to pay for but if you like your car and wan tto keep it around it is worth it. That monte is the car that my daughter will get when she grads from school (if she makes it) but she dont know this yet :-p

so with this said i want to keep it around and in good shape if i can. If it sales then i will have to find something else that she likes and that i can agree to buy.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Photobucket

Actually, I don't drive that much so I'm not too concerned about the cost, but I don't want leaks (don't have any now). I've done a lot of driving this past month only because my son got an MIP and lost his license for 30 days (got it back yesterday, yea), I had to take him to work on the other side of town. My studio is on my property so I just walk to work, the whole 25 feet, LOL. I just want it to last, I have no intentions of ever parting with it (it was love at first sight, LOL)

Old 12-23-2007, 01:21 PM

So. I guess, if the Previous Owner oiled this car with Mobil-1 then it's a good idea to continue with the Synthetic because the Synthetic is vastly superior to just regular oil. What is the most advantageous interval for changing the Synthetic.
Before, with the Honda, we'd take it ti Jiffy Jube and they'd put a sticker on the windshield and send you a reminder card when it was time for a change. How do you determine when the Synthetic Oil has had its time and is ready for a change.

There's some kind of Monitor in my Monte that is supposed to do this but I don't know if it was ever reset or got reset recently when I had to have my Check Engine Light reset at the AutoZone.

Can you program the Oil Life Monitor for different Brands and Types of oil? Will it know what you put it and determine the next change interval for you?

Old 12-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Photobucket

ORIGINAL: RickCoMatic

So. I guess, if the Previous Owner oiled this car with Mobil-1 then it's a good idea to continue with the Synthetic because the Synthetic is vastly superior to just regular oil. What is the most advantageous interval for changing the Synthetic.
Before, with the Honda, we'd take it ti Jiffy Jube and they'd put a sticker on the windshield and send you a reminder card when it was time for a change. How do you determine when the Synthetic Oil has had its time and is ready for a change.

There's some kind of Monitor in my Monte that is supposed to do this but I don't know if it was ever reset or got reset recently when I had to have my Check Engine Light reset at the AutoZone.

Can you program the Oil Life Monitor for different Brands and Types of oil? Will it know what you put it and determine the next change interval for you?
If that's what they were running, that's what I'd stay with. I wanted to change mine over but since I'm reasonably sure mine was not on Mobil 1, I guess I won't for fear of leaks.
I do not think you can program the monitor for different oils. You should reset it when you change oil and it's "supposed to" know when your oil, whatever kind, is getting weak. My monitor is reset through the radio.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:00 PM

My Oil Life Monitor is also programmed through the Radio, along with functions for the doors and entry options. I'd like to get it so that when I use the Clicker to Unlock the car ... the passenger side door gets unlocked too. I've tried the many options and the Pass. side door stays locked ... so, I surmise that getting that door to unlock automatically isn't going to happen.

I've been reading-up on the Oil Life Monitor. I think it operates on a Miles or Time (which ever comes first) to remind you to change the Oil. I really don't think there's any true sensor sampling the quality of the Oil. What I'd like to have is an Oil Pressure Gauge and a Low-Oil Level Kill. But, since I'm going to check the Oil everytime I gas-up and always before taking-off for a trip of any length ... the Low Level Sensor might me overkill.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Photobucket

I have to click mine twice to get the pass door unlocked.

Quick Reply: I know this is repitive but....