Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   i feel a "bump" and or "jerK" when i first accelerate (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/i-feel-bump-jerk-when-i-first-accelerate-26084/)

brandonmac000 02-14-2011 03:43 PM

i feel a "bump" and or "jerK" when i first accelerate

Yo:eek:,

I first begin feeling this about six months ago. I describe it as a jerking, and or stutter like feeling when i accelrate from a stopped position. I went to the GM dealer when it first happened and they replaced the CAT. When it continued, they told me it was my custom CAI, so they put they stock airbox in. When it continued, i took irt back and actually rode with the technician while he showed me that it wasnt throwing any codes on the reader. Now here we are, and it continues. I was told by my dad it could possibly be the motor mounts. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

Jomao_o 02-14-2011 03:51 PM

What's the mileage?... look into the transmission. It may be 'slipping' ...on the way out. :(

ChibiBlackSheep 02-14-2011 04:02 PM

Most likely is a shift solenoid if it's jerking you like you say it is.

brandonmac000 02-14-2011 10:00 PM

wells that the thing, i have had numerous transmission services, flushes, and even had them go inside the tranny to look around they said i was all clear. And to chibi it use to only happen on hills, but it doesn't happen when i having rolling start acceleration if that makes a difference

brandonmac000 02-14-2011 10:03 PM

o and to answer jomao's question im at 83,514mi

brandonmac000 02-14-2011 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 296532)
Most likely is a shift solenoid if it's jerking you like you say it is.

and what exactly is that?

Jomao_o 02-14-2011 11:37 PM

Part in the Transmission.

Here's a good read on the transmission
Very reputable business among the 3800 engine community.

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/

brandonmac000 02-15-2011 08:40 AM

so im guessing if it is the solenoid, it wouldn't throw a code?

ChibiBlackSheep 02-15-2011 09:56 AM

When my transmission started to go at 140K miles I had no codes, but my 1-2 and 2-3 shift solenoids were shot. It got so bad that I started getting a headache with how much my car was jerking me at red lights and on some shifts

Jomao_o 02-15-2011 10:32 AM

It's a start, if that doesn't help or fix the issue, a rebuild may be in order.

brandonmac000 02-15-2011 11:27 AM

o ok, so when i take it for service, il tell him to go ahead and check my solenoids. Would it be a waste of time to get the mounts checks as well?

Pretty00Pace 02-18-2011 12:50 AM

I have a 2000 3.8L monte and mine was doing the same jerking u are talkin bout, mainly wen shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear. The local aamco transmision said the EPC solenoid was a common problem on that car. Not sure about ur yr tho. Have them check it out, if they reccomend changing the solenoid and it doesnt work, they will prbobably credit that toward a rebuild

brandonmac000 04-07-2011 12:04 AM

hey everybody had to post this asap for everyone to hear!!!! So i took it to my GM dealership where i bought the car for them to have a wack at it one more time. After being fed up with all the representatives i went straight to the service director to handle my issue. Turns out he gave me a complete transmission overhaul for, $0.00! Im guessing this may have been because i bought it in for this problem previously about 6 times, and spent over $700 on things they thought it was but essentially never fixed my issue.

BlownUptoHigh 04-07-2011 06:31 AM

Have them also check your engine motor brackets. That jerking you feel from a stop could be your engine rocking when you try to accelerate. I just had my top two replaced and i dont get that kicked in the rear feeling anymore. While the long shifts are still there probably due to the solenoid its not as bad as it used to be.

MillerMonteSS 04-07-2011 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by brandonmac000 (Post 313578)
hey everybody had to post this asap for everyone to hear!!!! So i took it to my GM dealership where i bought the car for them to have a wack at it one more time. After being fed up with all the representatives i went straight to the service director to handle my issue. Turns out he gave me a complete transmission overhaul for, $0.00! Im guessing this may have been because i bought it in for this problem previously about 6 times, and spent over $700 on things they thought it was but essentially never fixed my issue.

Congrats! That sounds like good service. Too bad they couldn't figure out what was really wrong with it in the first place though.

Sparky-88 04-07-2011 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by brandonmac000 (Post 313578)
... Turns out he gave me a complete transmission overhaul for, $0.00! Im guessing this may have been because i bought it in for this problem previously about 6 times, and spent over $700 on things they thought it was but essentially never fixed my issue.

Wow! Good deal for you! So are you good to go?? Did the trans overhaul fix the problem?

ChibiBlackSheep 04-07-2011 08:29 AM

I was thinking in the beginning that this service department sucked (blaming your CAI, really)???

but they redeemed themselves. All is well now?

brandonmac000 04-08-2011 06:55 PM

so far so good. the "kick in the rear" if you will is gone. They diagnosed the issue saying that i had a bad valve body, dont know what that is, but to fix the problem they would go ahead and overhaul me. The shifts all ALOT smoother, and i dont get that stutter at all.

nighthawk626 04-08-2011 10:06 PM

wow this is why i never go to the dealership. CAI??? really? really CAI makes ur car jerk? thats awesome knowledge

iMSeRiOuS 04-09-2011 09:54 PM

everyone seems to get this problem =\

flaw in the design GM needs to fix all our cars!