Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

How do I know?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Default How do I know?

I've had my 01 SS, since November, It had a 100% anything wrong with it is fixed free dealer warranty for about 3 months, So I ran it really hard(nothing dangerous) to see if I could find anything wrong with, the only thing I noticed was at 85+ mph the check engine light comes on, but goes away shortly, considering I don't hit 85 a lot it slipped my mind, However I noticed that the shifting is off lately. It will (not all the time) but often stay in a gear for an excess of 3-5 seconds at the gears( usually 2nd. I think) peak, (Hearing that REALLY LOUD WHIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRR) for a long time, and wont go any higher, I get afraid and let off the gas and basically let her coast for a few seconds before gassing it again. This has just recently started, so I'm afraid(happy) that the tranny might be slipping. I have guardian warranty that Completely covers the Car's Innards, engine/tranny ect. I pay the first $100 of any fix, which would mean I Pay 100 for a new tranny..

My question, Is it slipping or is it something else? how do i know?

Old 02-20-2010, 07:08 PM

how do i know?
Take it to a reputable shop. If they're going to cover the repair other than a deductible anyways, may as well get it fixed before that runs out.

To me, it sounds like its not completing the shift quickly enough for some reason- and jacking up the line pressure to force it to happen quicker. Regardless- if you've got some type of warranty, I wouldn't even bother messing with it- I'd let them deal with it.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:35 PM

take it to a shop a tranny is a expencive item

Old 02-20-2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Take it to a reputable shop. If they're going to cover the repair other than a deductible anyways, may as well get it fixed before that runs out.

To me, it sounds like its not completing the shift quickly enough for some reason- and jacking up the line pressure to force it to happen quicker. Regardless- if you've got some type of warranty, I wouldn't even bother messing with it- I'd let them deal with it.
Thank you!

Old 02-21-2010, 02:07 AM

These cars trannys are only good for about a 100k. After that you are on borrowed time. They have an issue with the pressure solenoid which severely shortens the life of it. You can have them check the trans for codes like long shifts, etc.

You may have to fight with the extended warranty company though as they don't like to pay out. They aren't like factory warranties. Good luck!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 02:38 AM

you want want to also look into a faulty catalytic converter

Old 02-21-2010, 07:22 AM

...Hi Drifter, great 2 read that you have a warranty 4-Sure. Let us know what you `do & what the problem was & the results.... Hope they give you a loaner when you're Monte's in for repairs....Good Luck & we look 4ward 2 your updates : )

Old 02-21-2010, 07:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

The whirring noise you describe, does it almost sound like a supercharger whine? If so, I would guess that the pump in the transmission may be going. Thats usually what that whining sound comes from. Usually when you take it to a trans shop, if its a large chain, they will pretty much steer you toward a complete rebuild. I think its cheaper for them to just rebuild it than diagnose it, tear it apart and replace the problem. I would try and find a local place that does transmissions and ask them to take a look at it. If you think about it though, if you are going to pay someone to tear into your transmission and fix something, you may as well have it rebuilt for the peace of mind. Before I got mine rebuilt, they quoted me almost 700 bucks to replace the PCS in the transmission. For a little more than double that, they completely rebuilt my transmission and installed a shift kit.

Last edited by mrl390; 02-21-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by mrl390
The whirring noise you describe, does it almost sound like a supercharger whine? If so, I would guess that the pump in the transmission may be going. Thats usually what that whining sound comes from. Usually when you take it to a trans shop, if its a large chain, they will pretty much steer you toward a complete rebuild. I think its cheaper for them to just rebuild it than diagnose it, tear it apart and replace the problem. I would try and find a local place that does transmissions and ask them to take a look at it. If you think about it though, if you are going to pay someone to tear into your transmission and fix something, you may as well have it rebuilt for the peace of mind. Before I got mine rebuilt, they quoted me almost 700 bucks to replace the PCS in the transmission. For a little more than double that, they completely rebuilt my transmission and installed a shift kit.
It's pretty much the sound of the car at the TOP of 2nd gear it just doesn't shift up. Its BARELY got 70k so I hope it lasts that last 30k.

I drove it to classes today the problem consisted on the drive to but not on the drive home.

I double checked my warranty, and called them just to make sure, Tranny and engine are fully covered, so are the the air conditioner, electrical, steering and rental cars. Thats quite reassuring, I have an appointment with IU tomorrow to have the faulty starter removed. I figure I might be able to get it in to GM dealership by next Friday.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone! Each post is greatly appreciated!

Old 02-22-2010, 03:41 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

IT definitly sounds like a transmission going. These transmissions are fair, but they aren't renowned for their durability. Sorry it hasn't held up... it's not a good do it yourselfer job either if you don't have someone who knows what they're doing to help you out the whole way. There is a lot of hooking and unhooking involved...

Quick Reply: How do I know?