Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   Hey Keegan! GenV ???'s (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/hey-keegan-genv-s-9413/)

Nocturnx 05-07-2008 10:31 PM

Hey Keegan! GenV ???'s

I'm thinking about getting a GenV blower. What all do I need to run it? I'm guessing there's alot more involved than just unbolting the stock blower and bolting this one on? What kind of support mods should I have? Thanks!

bumpin96monte 05-07-2008 11:10 PM

RE: Hey Keegan! GenV ???'s

You'll need the L32 lower intake manifold as well- it is different from an L67. Also, you'll need some sort of throttle body- the one that comes on them is drive by wire, so it won't work- and your stock L67 tb won't bolt up (they make adaptors to do so, but iirc the L67 tb is smaller than the L32)- I'd just go straight to a N* or LS1 tb straight off.

As far as I know, those are the only things you must change, but I could be wrong.

Nocturnx 05-08-2008 07:24 AM

Thanks Bumpin! I found THIS thread which is pretty helpful. I'm just a bit confused about what to do with the EVAP sensor and PCV extension. Where did you guys run your EVAP sensor and PCV extension to? I plan on getting the GenV, L32 LIM, N* throttle body, LQ4 MAF, GenV gasket, LIM gasket, Bolts.....Am I missing anything here? Do I need an adapter plate for the GenV to N* or is the adapter plate only if your using the stock throttle body?

RocknSS04 05-08-2008 01:33 PM

Are you going to intercool it?

Nocturnx 05-08-2008 03:32 PM

No, at this point I don't want to run an intercooler. Is the GenV setup not worth it if you do not plan on running an intercooler? I was originally just going to get a ported Gen III m90 and ported stock throttle body and thought I might as well jump for the GenV and larger throttle body all at once... The price difference isn't THAT great and I was going to get a dyno tune anyway.

bumpin96monte 05-08-2008 04:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Nocturnx
Do I need an adapter plate for the GenV to N* or is the adapter plate only if your using the stock throttle body?

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=113

You still need an adaptor- click the gen 3 menu for a gen 5 option.

As for what else you need- I do not know, I'm not an expert on that specific swap.

Is the GenV setup not worth it if you do not plan on running an intercooler? I was originally just going to get a ported Gen III m90 and ported stock throttle body and thought I might as well jump for the GenV and larger throttle body all at once... The price difference isn't THAT great and I was going to get a dyno tune anyway.
Its still worth it- the same as doing a ported gen 3 is. It would of course be better IC'd, but its not a requirement at all. You should notice a nice difference with a N* TB and a gen 5.

ExplosiveSoundz 05-08-2008 04:54 PM

You should notice a nice difference with a N* TB and a gen 5.
SHOULD? Try WILL.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...key=&language=

Most informative post online about the Gen V swap.

For the record, think about where you're looking to go with this. Generation V Blowers are not any more beneficial over a ported Gen III unless you plan on throwing in a cam eventually, or intercooler.

If you plan on only doing a Gen V, and TB, just do ported Gen III. It really only pays off if you plan on putting down enough boost to make the blower work lighter, but still giving the same amount of boost.

So, in summary:

1) Read that CLUB GP Post
2) Think about where you are going to end up wanting your car (as far as HP is concerned)
3) Then get back to us and let us know what you're thinking. =)

It really is not THAT hard of an install. Might take you 5 hours, taking your time.. hardest part is trying to get the LIM to seal... after the install, you're going to have to do an oil flush and change, cause coolant will make it's way into your oil if you don't. =)

-Keegan

Hope that helped a bit...

Also, as far as buying a Gen V, GTPED @ MSN.com.

Ed Morad has a great selection, fast shipping, and very competitively priced =)

ExplosiveSoundz 05-08-2008 04:57 PM

Do I need an adapter plate for the GenV to N* or is the adapter plate only if your using the stock throttle body?
Go to https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_...=646&catid=113

Believe me, comes with everything you need, INCLUDING plate to adapt to the Gen V... just do 75 MM, cause any more only sees benefits if you plan on running 11's, which is highly unlikely for many of us on here.. lol

Nocturnx 05-08-2008 08:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I don't plan on going with a cam...but maybe 1.9 rockers eventually. I'll look at a ported gen3 again and see what the price difference would be.

ExplosiveSoundz 05-08-2008 08:32 PM

Then yah, ported Gen III is the way to go.. it will be ported to 75mm inlet, so your northstar would still work, and everything else (rockers, etc) would work out quite well. Anyonewill tell you that the only benefit to Gen V's is if you plan on running alot more power, and plan on seeing horsepower at the WHEELS above 320 or so... that is when it pays to UNDERWORK a gen V, versus OVERWORK a Gen III. But if a cam isn't in your future, then a Gen III ported is definitely the way to go =)

correction, meant AT THE WHEELS

Nocturnx 05-08-2008 08:46 PM

Ported gen 3 it is then. Know where I could get one besides clubgp on the cheap? I see zzp wants $350 and wbodystore has them for $280. And geez $450 at Intense. ZZP's looks the best, wbodys looks very good and Intenses looks like crap from the pics. Looks like I'm goin with the wbodystore one. Would it be worth it to find a ported LIM as well?

bumpin96monte 05-08-2008 09:12 PM

ORIGINAL: ExplosiveSoundz

You should notice a nice difference with a N* TB and a gen 5.
SHOULD? Try WILL.
The whp difference isn't that big, and some people are less sensitive to mods than others. I've seen people do a ported gen 3 and a tb at the same time, and not notice much difference at all. Sure the car dynos higher, and runs quicker, but I don't want him thinking it will be like adding a turbo or something. The gains are there, but not everyone thinks its a sizeable/very noticeable difference.

If you plan on only doing a Gen V, and TB, just do ported Gen III.
I'd just do whichever is cheaper myself. I'm sure a ported gen 3 would be cheaper, but I've heard of some hella deals on gen 5s from people who don't know what they have. The gains should be roughly the same between the two if thats all you did.

Would it be worth it to find a ported LIM as well?
The only way it would be beneficial is if you get a blower where they machine out that divider wall under the blower (separates the blower outlet rectangle from the area where the undersides of the needle bearings are). A lot of places machine that area out to utilize more of an intercooler core.

If you're not running an IC and don't port the inlet of the LIM, then you'llcause some turbulence right there- I've always thought it should be an optional thing. The good thing is, its pretty easy to open your LIM up yourself. When I did mine, I just used a jigsaw with a short metal blade and an SOS pad strapped underneath (so it didn't scratch)- it cuts out pretty easy, then you just need a dremel or something to cut the supports out. You can use a s/c gasket to match the new outlet to the LIM to make sure you cut the hole right.

An outlet port on the LIM would be a waste for you, and would hurt more than it would help since you have stock head ports.

Nocturnx 05-08-2008 09:37 PM

Sorry that is a little fuzy for me. The wbodystore ported gen 3 does have the divider wall removed and I won't be running an IC, so I do want a ported LIM or I don't? I don't have any tools so I would be buying a ported LIM. So I would be ordering THIS and THIS right?

ExplosiveSoundz 05-09-2008 01:43 PM

To be honest, that little divider makes very, very, very little impact. Everyone says it does, but no one has yet to prove the difference. I would go with a ported Gen 3 that has that divider still in there. If you planning on trying to throw down MAD power, then it might help, but honestly, save your money, keep your LIM, use a ported blower with the divider still in there, and then work on rockers, a TB, tuning, and eventually, smaller pulley. =)

ExplosiveSoundz 05-09-2008 01:45 PM

I'm not trying to confuse you, but honestly, it's your money, and you AREN'T going to gain any REAL WHEEL HORSEPOWER by wasting your money on a ported LIM, ya know? Just trying to save you money, and still get you the most bang for the buck =)

bumpin96monte 05-09-2008 05:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Nocturnx

Sorry that is a little fuzy for me. The wbodystore ported gen 3 does have the divider wall removed and I won't be running an IC, so I do want a ported LIM or I don't?
I would do a machined intake (or cut your own-a cheap jigsaw is only like $20) with that blower- just because you'd hate to have the blower open up to use a larger outlet, but then have to squeeze back down into the stock LIM opening. They extend the outlet a little further forward too- so you'd have the same issue up front, even if they left the divider.

Honestly, I haven't seen too many vendors leave the divider wall that doported blowers- I guess they are all optimizing for an IC (in which case it makes a difference).

and you AREN'T going to gain any REAL WHEEL HORSEPOWER by wasting your money on a ported LIM,
I dunno- if he gets a blower with the divider wall removed, and where they port out towards the front an extra 3/8" or whatever- I'd think the turbulence caused in those two areas wouldn't help flow much.

Nocturnx 05-09-2008 05:18 PM

It's actually cheaper to get the ported blower without the divider. And then I might as well put in the machined LIM while I'm in there. My thinking is that I'll already have it tore down anyway so why not? Money's not really an issue, I mean I was considering the Gen V which would have been twice as much. And while I'm switching out the throttle body I might as well put on a ceramic crossover pipe. I just want to do everything at once and do it right. I want to be able to run a 3.4 pulley easily, I'm thinking after these mods and a dyno tune I should be able to. Maybe one day in the very distant future I would like to put in the s1x cam but hey I should get this car paid off first before I go blowing it up.

ExplosiveSoundz 05-09-2008 09:15 PM

I dunno- if he gets a blower with the divider wall removed, and where they port out towards the front an extra 3/8" or whatever- I'd think the turbulence caused in those two areas wouldn't help flow much.
I'm definitely not trying to stir the pot, but prove it.

NO ONE has presented information that it's worth the money to have that extra wall CNC'd out. I don't have mine done. I have an IC, and all that happy supporting mods, and still have 336 WHP. And that is with a 3.1 pulley and moderate timing (so as to not to kill my mileage.)

Like I said, not trying to stir the pot, but people on Club GP make these statements too, but have nothing to show for it. Do a monte WITH it removed, and WITHOUT it removed, with the same mods otherwise, do a dyno pull with the same tune, and then see if it's worth it. Doubtful. Especially with only a 3.4.

Either way, I think it's still a great idea to go ported housing NocturnX, and if it's cheaper in the long run to go Ported LIM, make SURE you only get the INLET ported. The outlet will cause incredible performance loss if they're not ported to match ported heads.

And to be honest, you may want to consider both front and back exhaust mods, I.E. Headers. When I did my TOG headers, before all of the mods, I noticed a great power increase, and DECREASE in knock.

Where ya gettin her tuned at?

Nocturnx 05-09-2008 09:48 PM

I'd go to Intense for the dyno tune, 20 mins. from here and I hear Brian is the man at dyno tunes.

I already have 3" downpipe and Plog, so I think I would be out to much $$$ to switch to headers now. I hear bad things about every kind of headers for the 3800, pacesetters leak, etc. Plus I would have to pay mucho deneiro to have headers installed. Maybe I will consider headers again when I am also considering a cam.

I'm pretty sure the zzp machined LIM is inlet ported only.
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=109

ExplosiveSoundz 05-09-2008 09:53 PM

I already have 3" downpipe and Plog, so I think I would be out to much $$$ to switch to headers now
True. Although I did headers myself, it was a pain, but worth it... HOWEVER, for the time being, you're correct, headers AREN'T needed..

Let me know how they tune. I'm curious to see what they can do.... I don't think a single person on this forum has gone to them yet... I think I'm one of the only on this forum for ZZP dyno...

Keep us updated =)

Nocturnx 05-09-2008 10:44 PM

I'm ordering everything right now. Wbodystore ported blower. ZZP machined LIM, LIM gasket, N* kit, supercharger gasket. Do I need a throttle body gasket? I don't see that included in the N* kit, anything else I need to order for the install? Supercharger oil?

ExplosiveSoundz 05-10-2008 06:37 AM

You should probably get 2 bottles of blower oil ( I think it takes one and a half of the stock GM stuff, not surprised, they always do that kinda stuff to make you pay more)

I can't remember if the gasket comes with their N* kit or not.. I think it does.. because there is a specific adaptor plate that comes with it to adapt it to a Gen III casing... If Not, you could always use high-temp RTV =)

ExplosiveSoundz 05-10-2008 06:42 AM

Just so you know, once you install that TB, you're gonna want to have it tuned ASAP, as the larger TB and MAF will throw your fuel trims WAY off! Make sure you get the TPS adaptor as well.. it makes tuning it a HELL of a lot easier, and gets rid of the weird part throttle stutters that sometimes comes with upgrading TB's.

ExplosiveSoundz 05-10-2008 06:46 AM

Sorry, I see it COMES with a TPS adaptor.. so you should be good to go =)

bumpin96monte 05-10-2008 04:15 PM

I'm definitely not trying to stir the pot, but prove it.

NO ONE has presented information that it's worth the money to have that extra wall CNC'd out. I don't have mine done. I have an IC, and all that happy supporting mods, and still have 336 WHP. And that is with a 3.1 pulley and moderate timing (so as to not to kill my mileage.)

Like I said, not trying to stir the pot, but people on Club GP make these statements too, but have nothing to show for it.
I really think you ought to reread my post- you completely missed the point. What I said was if he gets a blower with the divider removed and does not remove it on the LIM, then you cause turbulence there. I don't see what is so hard to understand about that. There is nothing to prove- its simple fluid dynamics- you want a smooth transition from one part to the next, not a large gap.

Think about it for a second- you're a bit of air going through the blower- you exit the outlet of the blower towards the intake side, and if you had a blower with the divider removed- you would be able to move a little into the gap above the LIM, then you have to cram back in with the other airflow as it tries to go back into the stock opening LIM.

You said a similar thing with having the outlet of the LIM ported- the air runs into a major discontinuity in the wall by going from a bigger LIM port to a smaller stock cylinder head port- and you get turbulence. This is no difference in going from a ported blower with the divider removed back into the stock LIM opening.

To recap- I think if you get a ported blower where they don't take out the divider- then a stock LIM opening is fine, but if you get a blower with the wall removed, its best to at least have that LIM opening extended towards the intake side a little to allow smoother airflow.

They remove that divider wall for the purpose of people using an IC who are trying to get air to flow over as much of the core as possible (rather than restricting it to flowing through the stock opening).

I hope that cleared things up...

Nocturnx 05-10-2008 06:11 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I ordered everything last night so hopefully it will get here quick so I can get it put on and tuned before I move. Any guesses on how much HP to the wheels I'll gain from this?

ExplosiveSoundz 05-11-2008 02:02 AM

My guess, with ported blower, and northstar, maybe if someone can tune you in, 10-15 WHP, maybe more. WHOLE lot of variables... these things themselves don't add HP, they add the ability for someone to tune much better with larger intake, and cooler charges going into the cylinders from the ported blower. =)

Again, I may be low, may be high, but these things are all helping you to get on your way to throw smaller pulleys one without knock, thus giving you more horsepower =)

Bumpin, I get what you're saying...

bumpin96monte 05-11-2008 03:33 PM

maybe if someone can tune you in, 10-15 WHP, maybe more. WHOLE lot of variables...
It depends on who does the tuning too- even between tuners you can get a lot of variables too in tuning style. Some are more particular than others, and some prefer a safer tune over a tune running at the edge of knock. That will also make a difference.

Nocturnx 07-13-2008 08:07 PM

Well put on all my parts today. Machined LIM, Ported supercharger housing, N* throttle body. It is running horribly. I am throwing 2 codes, one code saying I am running too lean and another code saying Multiple misfires. I drove it around the block and it stalled out at a light on a hill. I really need to get it tuned, I hope Intense can get me in quick for a dyno tune. It's making all kinds of horrible sounds too.

04 Intimidator 08-12-2008 02:34 PM

Any follow up on this yet? Get that tune done?

Nocturnx 08-18-2008 03:31 PM

yup yup all done. https://montecarloforum.com/m_99707/tm.htm
Still having "Security" problems though.