Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

> Help PLEASE > Trans Prob 06 SS V8 <

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 03:47 PM
1 Year Member
Unhappy > Help PLEASE > Trans Prob 06 SS V8 <

i just bought an 06 MC SS last week and after driving it a week its acting funny, it has a loud whine to it from up by the firewall under the hood and sometimes with the car in gear its will either go sluggishly or not at all i have to turn the car off and it goes fine for a bit and than start acting up again, it has roughly 86k miles on it and no warranty from the dealer. anyone have and ideas or have had this happen to them?

all replies are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Space; 06-30-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: change title to get attention + sad icon
Old 06-30-2012, 03:55 PM

Hi Cory,
Sorry to read about your problem
Do you know if your transmission has ever been serviced ?
Did you check your trans fluid level ?
Do you know if your transmission ever had its fluid & trans filter changed ?
Did you get a history report with your purchase ? Service Records ?
When you check your fluid when it's warm, smell your transmission dip stick & see if it smells burnt ? (That's a sign that there's a problem

There's also sensors, but I will let other member's that have had this problem or have more knowledge post on this subject.

I would still check back with the dealer & have a discussion with them 4-Sure...Good Luck & look forward to more information (as much as you can post on your problem to help our member's help you) Good Luck

Last edited by Space; 06-30-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:06 PM
1 Year Member

dont have any service records with it and the fluid level was good and no burnt smell to it and not discolored it was still a good shade of red took it to a friend that has a shop and said something about GM being notorious for the Torque Converter Lockup issue but he was gonna do some checking on it and call me monday morning so we will see what he says and hopefully it will help in the future incase anyone on here runs into the same issue i can help out..

Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I hate to tell you this, but the problems you are describing are very common on the 4T65-E, and when matched to the 5.3L V8, these trannies are not very durable. Sounds to me like you have tranny problems that will need a rebuild to be fixed properly. I've heard about and actually talked to several people with Monte/ Impala's and the 4T65-E tranny/ V8 combo, it seems like 80-100K is the magic number of miles for a tranny re-build on the V8 powered cars.

If you do need a rebuild/ and end up doing one, I suggest you look into some aftermarket tuning for your car. Many of the aftermarket tunes program the tranny for less slipping, firmer shifts, and they do help to extend tranny life.

Good Luck...I hope it works out for you.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

IS there a "lemon Law" in your state? if so only 1 week, wherever you bought it should fix it for free, unless you bought it from a private seller, then seems like a tranny rebuild is necessary.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:19 AM
1 Year Member

we will see what happens. i dropped it off at the shop today and they said they will look at it first thing in the morning. (fingers crossed)

Old 07-04-2012, 11:23 AM

Hi `Cory & Good Luck 4-Sure!

Did you talk to your selling dealer ? & if so, what did they say ?

What type of shop did you leave your Monte with ?
Do they have a good reputation ? I sure hope it's nothing serious or expensive...Look 4ward to your update(s)

EnJoy your 4th of July

Old 07-04-2012, 01:01 PM
1 Year Member

yes i talked to the dealer i bought it from and took it to a local shop down the road from my house and the dealer from the way they are talking to me it sounds like they are gonna cover whats going on.....we just have to see what it is first i think the tranny is good im thinking its something electrical because when it does it all i have to do is turn the car off and than back on and its fine untill it does it again than i just repeat the process, the shop is about 7 miles away and driving it down there last night i had to turn off the car 4 times to reset whatever is going on.....all i know is im gonna baby the hell out of this car cause its my pride and joy lol (next to my wife and children of course) !!!

ill keep everyone posted for sure and thank you all for your advice over the time ive been on this forum it truly is like an extended family i know i can post on here and get quick and speedy responses from all.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:11 PM

Hi Cory, & thanks for your reply
Hopefully it is just a Bad Auto Trans Solenoid..
Good Luck & we look 4ward to your update(s)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cyl 5.3L
To display parts for a different vehicle, click here.<!-- SEO Heroshot --><!-- /SEO Heroshot -->
<TABLE style="HEIGHT: 33px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(204,204,204); PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; FONT-SIZE: 12px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; PADDING-TOP: 5px">Showing items 1-15 out of 15 </TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(204,204,204); PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!--VIEWER POP-UP STARTS--><!-- DEFINE VIEWER DIMENSIONS HIDDEN VALUES--><!--VIEWER POP-UP ENDS-->2003-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Automatic Transmission Solenoid - AC DelcoPart Number: AC24225825
Manufacturer number: 24225825

<!-- /title -->More Images

<!-- /image --><!-- buybox --><!-- Properties from Endeca for SKU # AC24225825
list price : 82.92
map: 0
price: 70.27
//-->List Price: $82.92
Our Price: $70.27
You Save: $12.65

<!-- buybox/ --><!-- qualtifiers -->AC DELCOPRESS CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE ASSEMBLY PACKAGE -- A high quality, direct fit OE replacement press control solenoid valve assembly package; With 12-month or 12,000-mile AC Delco warranty.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TH>Fit Note:</TH><TD>Car</TD></TR><TR><TH>Quantity Sold:</TH><TD>Assembly</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

It could definitely be a bad shift solenoid, in which case, the labor will be more than the part. LOL. I hope for your sake, whatever it is gets fixed for good, and the dealer you bought it from covers the cost, as they should.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: > Help PLEASE > Trans Prob 06 SS V8 <