Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

HELP PLEASE >2000 SS Trans Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 09:35 AM
1 Year Member
Question HELP PLEASE >2000 SS Trans Problem

Hi guys I am new to this site. I have a 2000 Monte ss with a 3.8 ( non turbo ) and am having trouble figuring out my Trans problem. My brother used the car the other day and got stranded. He told me he was making a turn and the trans just went out. I had the car towed back to my house I started it and put it into drive and it went no where. Reverse isn't working. I tried using lower gears to manually shift it. But with no luck the car isn't moving. My brother told me when he was turning he heard a loud " Pop " come from under the car. The CV shaft seems to be intact. Also when I start the car and put it into gear I hear a kinda scrapping sound. Like when you have your brake rotors shaved. Could it be one of my sensors is gone bad? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Space; 07-27-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: few changes 2 get attention from Member's
Old 07-27-2013, 10:14 AM

..Sorry to read about your transmission problem.

How many miles on your Monte ? How long have you owned it ?

When was the last time your transmission was serviced ?

How has it been driven ? by you ? by your brother

Look 4ward to your reply...It will help our expert tech member's help you with your problem...Also use our forum's search engine for same & similar problems...Wish you Good Luck 4-Sure...

Old 07-27-2013, 11:16 AM
1 Year Member

I have had the car since 02/2005. The trans wouldn't go into 2nd gear once, But after shutting the engine off and waiting about 10-15 mins it ran fine. ( That was about 3 months ago ) The dealer that I bought it from said it was serviced when they got in in. The paper work he showed me said 12/2004. I have neglected it through the years ( I know bad move ). It has 150,000 miles on the odometer. One other thing is that the dash cluster and window switch lights went out about 4yrs ago. I was told that it was the Body Control Module. Other then that the car ran great with no other major problems. Thanks for your advice.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:02 PM

^ Thanks for your honest reply. The transmission on the Monte Carlo is one of it's weak point, especially `if it has been neglected & not serviced . Have you pulled out your transmission dip stick & checked your fluid & it;s color ? It should look a clear red color, it shouldn't look BLACK. Smell the fluid on your dip stick & see if it smells burned 150 K is good for a transmission that has been neglected or abused...

Keep checking back on your thread to see what our other member's post on your problem when they check your thread. It's possible, but not likely that it could just `be a bad connection or sensor If you pray, now is a good time to pray to the Monte Carlo Gods & hope it's not totally thrash...

Wish you the best in resolving your problem > Good Luck 4-Sure

Old 07-27-2013, 12:18 PM
1 Year Member

Funny you mention about praying. I just told a friend I am not a praying man . But I guess you have to start sometimes. lol. I checked the dip stick and the fluid is black. I guess I should start with a filter change and flush?

Old 07-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Bob
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry that you are having problems with your transmissions, as space stated, the trans in are cars are a weak point. It sounds like your transmission this went south, the grinding sound you are hearing are metal parts that may have broken off, and with 150,000 miles on your transmission i would say you need a rebuild. If your not catching any gear 1,2,3,4 or reverse it is finish. your looking at around $1900 to $2600 for a rebuild. If you run the car hard put better upgraded parts in the trans. that will run the cost up.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Where are you located?

Old 07-28-2013, 07:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Haywood Banks, "Ya Toast!"
Sorry to hear about your "toasted" tranny. Been there, done that in my '01 SS LE. Same thing.
This reminds me it's time to do a tranny service on the Intimidator SS again. I'm at 175K now. It needs doing. I've developed a "whine" in mine. It's scaring me.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:38 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks for all the info. Going to look into having a rebuild done. I guess while I am at it I'll do the entire engine. Will give me a chance to clean and detail the engine compartment.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:03 PM

Sorry to hear about the trans. My Monte was 8 years old with 42,000 miles on it when it died. I was so pissed I called Chevy,complained and said this is why so many people are going foreign(warranty at that time was 3yr /36,000). It took some time but Chevy worked with me & they replaced.I have less than 37,000 on this one.Good luck

Quick Reply: HELP PLEASE >2000 SS Trans Problem