Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Help needed fellas.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:01 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Help needed fellas.

So yesterday tragedy struck, my leg nuts broke off the car and a tire flew off on the highway. Got the lug nuts fixed nd all, but now my car wont shift into gear and it wont start. By what i mean not starting, they key turns, all lights work, but as I turn the key theres no engine sound or nothin, just lights flash on the dash like ok im turning on then uhh nothing.

While the guy was fixing my leg nuts, I took my aftermarket radio out, car was still on, so im not sure if I broke a fuse or a electrical issue but there is power in the car, but the windows and door locks wont work and shifter wont shift. Air bag check up light came on, but no air bag deployed.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:32 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

And also no code reading on the dash. Forgot to mention that.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:02 AM

first of they are called Lug nuts. did you replace the rotor or any other part damaged from sliding without a wheel? if your power windows and locks don't work, did you check their fuses? check the fuses in the car and in the engine bay.

do the lights dim when you try to turn it over? have you tried jump starting it just in case there is not enough amps in the battery to start it? With you not being able to shift the gear selector and not start i'm leaning toward an issue with the ignition switch.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:08 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Lights dont dim, I have not checked the fuse box, I had to have it towed from the side of the road, the roter is flattned a little, but not by much, it didnt slide crazy like. Im assuming I may have blown a fuse but the car is at the dealer's shop currently. And yeah lug nuts, sorry im at work and I typed it in a hurry. Its like when I turn the key over, I dont hear a tick noise, but the display on the dash lights up, but cuts out then lights back up like it wants to but not going to. The brake is REALLY hard to push in. It shifted fine before the mechanic replaced the lug nuts and took off everything.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:12 AM

there is nothing in the wheel area that would stop the shifter from moving. it is possible with the brake pedal pumped up so high that you are not depressing the brake release to let the shifter move. :edit: also a neutral safety switch could cause the car not to start as well.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I would assume that that is it, because I can barely push the brake pedal down. He said pump and he had me move the shifter into neutral while doing so, to change lugs. And from what I know the car recongizes it as in neutral still from the gear display.How do I get to those? This is a 2006 monte carlo ls by the way. And thanks for your help

Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I just hope its not the tranny or engine, which i highly doubt it.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Can't really help with any input. Without the car starting it's hard to tell if you have a vacuum leak or a bad valve. With a bent rotor perhaps the caliper was also damaged and is not letting the piston travel back into place. Glad your okay from this incident, had to be pretty harrowing. Makes me glad I have chosen to have all mine replaced while my cars in the shop. Wow bro it was a close one for you....

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 04-16-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:20 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks zip and yeah man, Dude thats what I was thinking may have happened because before he put everything back on, it was working and shifting fine, now its like turn key, lights come on, wala works but no start up or ticking sound so i know the tranny wasnt damaged. 2nd, The only electrical thing that works in the car, IS the radio, locks and windows dont work so Idk if i blew a fuse or not.

I didnt get time to check because I was on the side of the highway for 4 hours freaking out because my car is screwed and that is a trade in car, so now the deal might be eff'd up in some way.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:54 PM

By any chance, does the security light stay on?

Quick Reply: Help needed fellas.