Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

GXP paddle shifters in a Monte Carlo SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:16 AM
1 Year Member
Default GXP paddle shifters in a Monte Carlo SS

Hey everyone so I was coming home from the movies last night and I thought about how it would be pretty cool to have paddle shifters. I like a manual more but I think if there is a way to do paddles then that will be a good route to go as well since I assume it will be a lot cheaper then doing a manual conversion as well as have a lot less headaches. Does anyone know if there is a way to make the paddles off of a Pontaic GXP work? Or are there any aftermarket kits that will work on our cars?

Old 10-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by iMuf
Hey everyone so I was coming home from the movies last night and I thought about how it would be pretty cool to have paddle shifters. I like a manual more but I think if there is a way to do paddles then that will be a good route to go as well since I assume it will be a lot cheaper then doing a manual conversion as well as have a lot less headaches. Does anyone know if there is a way to make the paddles off of a Pontaic GXP work? Or are there any aftermarket kits that will work on our cars?
Hmmm, sounds like a neat idea. I get lots of these ideas and they generally get me in trouble. You would probably have to re-tune the PCM and run the wiring but other than that it might work (while you were at it I would grab a gxp tranny too?) You gotta figure its the 4t65e transmission but might have some extra wiring for the paddle shift. This is based on general knowledge but pretty much anything is possible. I think that would be pretty cool to do.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:39 AM

Transmissions are the same between the 2006-2007 monte carlos for v8s of grand prix gxp.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:50 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Hmmm, sounds like a neat idea. I get lots of these ideas and they generally get me in trouble. You would probably have to re-tune the PCM and run the wiring but other than that it might work (while you were at it I would grab a gxp tranny too?) You gotta figure its the 4t65e transmission but might have some extra wiring for the paddle shift. This is based on general knowledge but pretty much anything is possible. I think that would be pretty cool to do.
Like Hiroska said, the 06-07 Monte Carlo SS has the same trans as the GXP. Which is why I think it may actually work. I have seen some kits (not for our cars) that you have to get an aftermarket steering wheel since they don't work with air bags. I wonder if I could just get a whole steering wheel from a GXP and change the pontiac badge to an SS badge as well. I like the look of the GXP steering wheel WAY more then the Monte Carlo SS steering wheel. Hmmm....the more I think about it, the more I want to do it lol

Old 10-21-2013, 10:04 AM
1 Year Member

Like Hiroska said, the 06-07 Monte Carlo SS has the same trans as the GXP. Which is why I think it may actually work. I have seen some kits (not for our cars) that you have to get an aftermarket steering wheel since they don't work with air bags. I wonder if I could just get a whole steering wheel from a GXP and change the pontiac badge to an SS badge as well. I like the look of the GXP steering wheel WAY more then the Monte Carlo SS steering wheel. Hmmm....the more I think about it, the more I want to do it lol
Haha I assumed sixth gen. Dumb me. I was just thinking maybe the wiring could be slightly diferent. To set the transmission in a shiftable mode. But maybe its all computer based. I don't think the pcm's run on a bus system. Haven't learned as much about the 7th gens though. Haha.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:10 AM
1 Year Member

Haha I assumed sixth gen. Dumb me. I was just thinking maybe the wiring could be slightly diferent. To set the transmission in a shiftable mode. But maybe its all computer based. I don't think the pcm's run on a bus system. Haven't learned as much about the 7th gens though. Haha.
Yea, when it comes to electronics I'm pretty much lost lol. It may not be possible, but if it is, it would be something I would like to try to do. Even if the paddles didn't work, the GXP steering wheel would still look a lot better then the SS steering wheel. I'm just not sure if the badge on the steering wheel can be taken off or not. If it can't then I probably won't do it anyway just because it would look a little funny with a Pontiac badge in a Monte Carlo lol.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:21 AM
1 Year Member

Yea, when it comes to electronics I'm pretty much lost lol. It may not be possible, but if it is, it would be something I would like to try to do. Even if the paddles didn't work, the GXP steering wheel would still look a lot better then the SS steering wheel. I'm just not sure if the badge on the steering wheel can be taken off or not. If it can't then I probably won't do it anyway just because it would look a little funny with a Pontiac badge in a Monte Carlo lol.
I'm more electronically inclined. I don't want to stear you wrong but mostlikely you would have a harness from the steering wheel that would run to the pcm.(into a budle of course but you would have to di it yourself. Lots of splicing and re-wiring now that I think about it) I also believe the floor shifters usually have a position to put the transmission in a shiftable mode. First step would be too look at a wiring diagram. I judt use the 1, 2, 3, D to control my shift points. But thats only for upshifting I guess.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:28 AM
1 Year Member

That makes sense. Now what if I got the shifter and everything, minus the transmission, and swapped all that in? that essentially should make things a little easier shouldn't it?

Old 10-21-2013, 11:07 AM
1 Year Member

That makes sense. Now what if I got the shifter and everything, minus the transmission, and swapped all that in? that essentially should make things a little easier shouldn't it?
Probably. But once againe beace its electric you would have to see what extra wiring is in it. If ita data bus then it all runs on one harness and It can carry whatever data you want so you would just need a pcm reprogram. But as far as I know only the bmw's and other euro cars are a databus system. But maybe the 7th gens are. That's gonna be your make or break point. If its analogue single point wiring or a databus. Standard wiring will probably be a lot of work.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:27 AM
1 Year Member

Probably. But once againe beace its electric you would have to see what extra wiring is in it. If ita data bus then it all runs on one harness and It can carry whatever data you want so you would just need a pcm reprogram. But as far as I know only the bmw's and other euro cars are a databus system. But maybe the 7th gens are. That's gonna be your make or break point. If its analogue single point wiring or a databus. Standard wiring will probably be a lot of work.
Ok so working on the plane and reading the fault system I realized OBD2 is a databus system, so electronically you would need a pcm tune and a harness for the paddle shifters. As long as nothing mechanically different is going on in the transmission.

Quick Reply: GXP paddle shifters in a Monte Carlo SS