Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

good price on a S/C

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Default good price on a S/C

I just bought a 2002 Monte SS 3800 and want to know what parts would I need to do a s/c swap. I found a s/c for $150 on a car at the junkyard that was crashed from behind. It's actually a grand prix gtp.Would I need the fuel rail or the heads also for this swap?

Old 01-31-2012, 08:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Yeah there's a lot of other stuff you need

-supercharger w/ throttle body
-lower intake manifold
-cylinder heads
-fuel rail w/ injectors
-valvecovers front and rear
-harmonic balancer
-idler pullies, brackets, tensioner, etc for supercharger belt system
-coil pack bracket w/ ICM and coils
-MAP sensor and bracket

plus new gaskets/fluids and wiring stuff.. May have missed a few things, not totally sure.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:05 PM

Thanks a lot man...does anyone else think he might of left something out?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:37 PM

A lot of good reading in this link:

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/en...-bumpin-24896/

Old 01-31-2012, 10:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Another thing that you're going to need is a custom tuned PCM due to many changes that come with the top swap such as the afr and having non-HD 4T65E gear ratios.

Do a Google search on "top swap" and read everything that you can on the topic. There's a lot that you need to know in order to save yourself from headaches in the future.

Btw, $150 for a Gen 3 M90 is a horrible price. I've passed on buying them for $50, let alone $150. However, if you're talking about a Gen 5 M90 (04+ Grand Prix), then $150 is a great price. Those can cost $400 used or more.

My advice is, take your time and see what you can find. You should also consider getting a turbo. Instead of struggling to get over 300whp, you'll easily make 350+whp with very few mods besides the turbo.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:38 AM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by zipper
Another thing that you're going to need is a custom tuned PCM due to many changes that come with the top swap such as the afr and having non-HD 4T65E gear ratios.

Do a Google search on "top swap" and read everything that you can on the topic. There's a lot that you need to know in order to save yourself from headaches in the future.

Btw, $150 for a Gen 3 M90 is a horrible price. I've passed on buying them for $50, let alone $150. However, if you're talking about a Gen 5 M90 (04+ Grand Prix), then $150 is a great price. Those can cost $400 used or more.

My advice is, take your time and see what you can find. You should also consider getting a turbo. Instead of struggling to get over 300whp, you'll easily make 350+whp with very few mods besides the turbo.
Do you think a turbo would be easier/less headaches than a top swap? I may be reconsidering a gen v swap... still not for sure which route I want to go and which has more potential for gains.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member

The turbo will have it's challenges especially since our cars never came with one, but if you use one of ZZP's kits you'll be fine. Going with a top swap takes a LOT of work. You're basically removing the engine except for the block, plus replacing the balancer (which is a pain but is doable), plus all of the headaches that can come from a mistake.

A turbo kit on the other hand is expensive up front, but with a little work you'll make MUCH more hp then you would with even a Gen 5 setup. The highest whp 3800 cars use turbos and easily make over 400whp. To get a top swapped car to pump out 400whp will take a LOT of time and money to accomplish.

If you're overall goal is all out power, then the turbo is the way to go. Another thing to remember though is that both setups will certainly need a built tranny. You have to pay to play.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:46 AM

3 Year Member

You have to pay to play.
X2 on that.. I'm not quite ready to pay. Going to work my a** off this summer so I can get something going. Have two jobs lined up for sure possibly another. Should be able to save up enough for a cheap ride and turbo setup.

So turbo is definitely worth saving up for? Where's a good place to get a built trans? Will the trans. need to be replaced right away.. Still going to be driving the car until I find a second vehicle so may have to hold off swap or turbo til later this summer.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member

I say a turbo is worth it if you want all out power and want to run some seriously quick 1/4 mile times. If however, your overall goal is to have a fun ride with a little power that will surprise a few C5 Vettes, then go with a top swap because it's very affordable.

The best place to get a tranny for our cars is Triple Edge Performance - Home Page. If you're worried about the tranny (especially if your Monte is your only car), then I wouldn't top swap or turbocharge the Monte until you can afford the right tranny for you. So far, my tranny has held up to the abuse, but I'm the exception. Our tranny's often fail on stock L36 power, let alone 400+hp being thrown through the tranny.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:13 PM

3 Year Member

I say a turbo is worth it if you want all out power and want to run some seriously quick 1/4 mile times. If however, your overall goal is to have a fun ride with a little power that will surprise a few C5 Vettes, then go with a top swap because it's very affordable.

The best place to get a tranny for our cars is Triple Edge Performance - Home Page. If you're worried about the tranny (especially if your Monte is your only car), then I wouldn't top swap or turbocharge the Monte until you can afford the right tranny for you. So far, my tranny has held up to the abuse, but I'm the exception. Our tranny's often fail on stock L36 power, let alone 400+hp being thrown through the tranny.
Yeah a swap or turbo isn't going to start until I get a second vehicle but it's never too early to start putting money off for turbo/swap been saving up for a few months You still have the stock tranny? How lol

I'll just pm you so I don't entirely jack this thread

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 02-01-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Quick Reply: good price on a S/C