Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

gen III or gen V

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Default gen III or gen V

ok so i found a top swap kit and i was wondering would it be worth it to go with a gen V supercharger (600 extra) or just stay with the genIII m90 supercharger what is the diffrence?

Old 05-08-2009, 06:13 PM

600 is a good bit extra to pay for a gen 5.
I mean 600 is a decent price if it's almost brand new and has some work done on it, but if that's on top of what the price of the gen 3 would be then it's a bit much.

Is it just a basic stock gen 5?
How much is the top-swap kit total?

Most top swap kits that I've seen are only going for about $500-$600 total, so an extra $600 would double the price.

On the other hand, the Gen 5 is capable of putting out more power, but whether or not you should upgrade to a gen 5 will depend on what you ultimately want to do with the car.

-Riggs.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Old 05-08-2009, 06:20 PM

this is the site that i was going to order it from but now that looks a lil high on the price sheet

Old 05-09-2009, 02:54 AM

Jesus, yeah that's expensive.
Mike Milzy knows his stuff, but if you want to do a top swap you're better off sourcing the parts yourself.
Hell, if you look around some of the busier forums that have more L67 cars you'll find people selling top swap setups fairly often and the going rate starts at about $500 (any upgrades, or low mileage/new parts add to the cost).
If you have a pick'n'pull nearby and you're hand, you could get everything you need from a wrecked car for cheap. You can also find all of the parts fairly often on some of these forums.
Good luck, and keep us updated on how everything goes.

-Riggs.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:05 AM

i will have to look al lil harder i have like 7 months to find it so there is no real rush on it i just want to have it to do by the time i get home thanks for the info

Old 05-09-2009, 03:13 AM

Yep, if you're not in a rush then I'd hold out to get the best deals I could. If you are actually willing to fork out the money that the Milzy kit costs, there's no reason that you couldn't put together a super sweet setup right off the bat.

-Riggs.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:10 PM

I too am looking to do the swap as well. Anyone know if there is any problems with the fuel rales or any reprogramming you need to do, or is it just pull the old one and put the new one down. I have taken it off befor so thats not a problem. I would say go with the Gen 4 blower i seen them new for 650.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:12 AM

Anyone know if there is any problems with the fuel rales or any reprogramming you need to do
What problems would there be? You must use L67 fuel rails (the L36 injectors are in a different location on the engine). Also, you must use an L67 pcm tune (be it reflashing your current pcm, or swapping the pcm out completely)- the top swap switches you to a 2 bar map, different size injectors, and a different MAF calibration due to the different throttle body- so you must run an L67 tune.

I would say go with the Gen 4 blower i seen them new for 650.
Gen 4 M90 does not exist (although yes, I have seen that one oddball on clubgp that could technically be considered a gen 4 because it had design aspects from each)- gen 3 M90s came on L67's, gen 5 M90's came on L32's.

Forget that, $1400 is steep. If you can't find the parts at a local junkyard- then go on clubgp.com to the classifieds, top swaps go through there frequently for cheap.

would it be worth it to go with a gen V supercharger (600 extra) or just stay with the genIII m90 supercharger what is the diffrence?
Here is the real question- would you ever plan to send your supercharger out to have it ported? If all you plan to do is basic bolt ons (ie pulley, rockers, exhaust, etc)- then you'd be fine doing a gen 3. If you plan to go further (maybe a cam, IC, etc later)- then definitely do the gen 5 up front because it will save you time/money in the long run from having to get yours sent out to get ported later.

If you plan to go much further (ie heads, cam, IC, etc etc)- think about doing a turbo instead.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:22 AM

I too am looking to do the swap as well.
Are you talking about swapping a gen 5 blower onto your Intimidator?
If so, then you would need a throttle body adapter (the L32 uses a fly-by-wire TB), and you would have to re-route some of your vacuum lines (evap and the pcv fresh air source).
You would want to keep the L67 fuel rails, as the L32 engines use a completely different fuel system (they are returnless style on the L32).
As far as the tune: You wouldn't have to reprogram the PCM settings at all if you didn't want to, but I don't think it would make sense to upgrade the supercharger and not tune the car for the changes.
Also, the air inlet on the L67 LIM (the square part that the boosted air goes through) is slightly smaller than it is on the L32's. So, if you bolt a Gen 5 to a stock L67 LIM, you would be blocking part of the air outlet from the supercharger. You would want to either open up your L67 LIM to match the Gen 5 pattern, or just use an L32 LIM. Most people sell the blower and LIM together anyways.

-Riggs.

EDIT: Although there is no Gen 4 M90, was there a Magnuson Gen4 MP90? Or did the naming conventions for the Eaton superchargers really go from 3 to 5 with no 1,2,or 4? It looks like the M45 and M62 have gen 4 versions, but I haven't seen much info about the different variations of the M90's besides what is available for the 3800's. What were the version on the T-bird supercoupes?
-Riggs.

Last edited by biggriggs; 05-10-2009 at 02:58 AM.

Quick Reply: gen III or gen V