Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Gen 5 from an 06 regal top swap question!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
Default Gen 5 from an 06 regal top swap question!

I'm looking at a Gen 5 top swap from a junked 06 or 07 (can't remember, lol) regal to install it in my 02 monty, but should I install the whole engine or just do the top swap? What about the tranny? Should it be exchange as well? Or just do the top swap and call it a day?

Old 10-23-2009, 07:09 AM

I'd probably top swap it if i were you.
That way you retain the higher compression of the n/a engine (9.4:1), which will make more power at the same boost levels compared to the L67/L32 (8.5:1) compression.
Only thing to keep in mind is that you can't run as much boost mod-per mod (although you will be making more power with less boost overall).

Keep your current tranny as well (assuming it is in good shape).
The only difference between the standard and HD transmissions is the differential, differential cover, and the passenger side axle.
None of these components are prone to breaking under normal use (i.e. not doing 1-wheel burnouts).
The non-hd transmission actually has a higher gear ratio than the hd transmission, and many people actually convert to the higher gear ratio when they do any sort of internal transmission upgrades (you get better acceleration with the taller gears).

Only thing I wonder about is......
which 06 buick came supercharged? Never heard of any honestly, and they stopped production on the regal in '04. I'd double check that info and make sure you know what you're getting.

-Riggs.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know a lot of people love the newer Gen 5, but price-for-price and the amount of aftermarket I don't see why you shouldn't do a top-swap or even an L67 swap instead of the L32.

Yes the Gen-5 is powerful, but a well ported Gen-3 will perform just as well for a lot cheaper.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:59 PM

I'm looking at a Gen 5 top swap from a junked 06 or 07 (can't remember, lol) regal to install it in my 02 monty,
I thought only the 04+ Grand Prix's got the gen 5? That is interesting info...

but should I install the whole engine or just do the top swap?
Its up to you, research both ways (there is lots of info on here) and decide which you want to do.

What about the tranny?
We don't have enough information- the mileage and condition of your tranny determines what you do about this. If its old and beat up- and the new one is significantly lower mileage, then swap it.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

IMHO, if the motor and tranny have less mileage than your current motor and tranny, just swap everything out.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:21 PM

Yes the Gen-5 is powerful, but a well ported Gen-3 will perform just as well for a lot cheaper.
Not necessarily, and nowadays you can get a gen 5 blower for pretty cheap. Much cheaper than having a gen 3 fully ported.
As far as the aftermarket......
The blowers use almost all of the same parts, the aftermarket is the same.
I honestly can't think of any part of the top of my head that you can't interchange (aside from the intercoolers, but a gen 5 can use a gen 3 style intercooler, but not vice versa).

-Riggs.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member

I could be wrong about the year! It could be an 04, but I can't remember. I will be going down to the junkyard where the car is tomorrow with a friend to make sure everything is ready for pick up and I'll know for sure. The engine has only 21,000 miles on it and it's missing the TB, but everything else should be cool.

My tranny is good to go right now! It seems that the top swap would be the way to go. The gen 5 runs more efficiently, as well as cooler than the gen 3 (from what I've read).

Last edited by Wilco; 10-23-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:55 AM

The engine has only 21,000 miles on it and it's missing the TB
You wouldn't want the TB off an L32 anyways, its drive by wire- and you need an mechanical TB.

Also, how many miles do you have? If the setup only has 21,000 miles and its cheap enough- I'd strongly think about swapping everything over- you'd almost have a brand new car again.

The gen 5 runs more efficiently, as well as cooler than the gen 3 (from what I've read).
A gen 5 = a ported gen 3 (assuming it was ported by a reputable place and not joe schmoe in his garage)

Old 10-25-2009, 12:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The Regal GS never came with a Gen 5. It was only available on 2004+ Grand Prix's.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member

Like I said, I wasn't totally certain about the year. Lol, memory is starting to go I guess. My car has 89,000 miles but the engine/tranny was rebuilt around 55,000 miles by the previous owner, a cop out in Yuma, Arizona. It runs strong and has no leaks or codes. I've had it since 67,000 miles and it has served me well. I knew about the TB needing to be replaced for the swap. I'm still undecided about the swap. I drove to the yard and turns out the engine is missing more than the TB. I'm gonna wait and see what I can find up here in Oklahoma City. I got my brother in Philly doing a search for me as well.

Quick Reply: Gen 5 from an 06 regal top swap question!