Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Fuel Pump Problem PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Default Fuel Pump Problem PLEASE HELP!

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo SS. Recently my fuel pump has been acting up my gauge has not been reading correctly so i figured the sender was going out. Well today my car wont stay on and I know its the fuel pump. I have read on the forum you can go in thru the trunk. But I have a big problem because I am not able to go thru the trunk because of the fact that my sound system is wired and I have no idea on the removal of it. I have an extra battery and everything so I was wondering can I change the fuel pump by dropping the tank from underneath the car????

Old 02-05-2012, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by StrongTakeover
I have a 2000 Monte Carlo SS. Recently my fuel pump has been acting up my gauge has not been reading correctly so i figured the sender was going out. Well today my car wont stay on and I know its the fuel pump. I have read on the forum you can go in thru the trunk. But I have a big problem because I am not able to go thru the trunk because of the fact that my sound system is wired and I have no idea on the removal of it. I have an extra battery and everything so I was wondering can I change the fuel pump by dropping the tank from underneath the car????
Yea I believe you can drop the tank and in your case I would definately drop it. You dont want to have wiring or especially a battery or anything that has a charge around when you open that little compartment for the tank. Remember, gas vapors can cause an explosion! Saw something like this happen at work with another flammable gas.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:55 PM

Yeah I was about to go ahead and replace it but I still hear it going though. Im going to try to replace the fuel filter first and see if that works. Its really stressing me out how easy is it to change the fuel filter?

Old 02-05-2012, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by StrongTakeover
Yeah I was about to go ahead and replace it but I still hear it going though. Im going to try to replace the fuel filter first and see if that works. Its really stressing me out how easy is it to change the fuel filter?
Yea try that. If you hear it priming when you turn the key to acc then its prob good. Also check the fuel pump relay (if they have one) and see if its clicking. Also check the fuel pump fuse. If all else fails and you still want to troubleshoot you can check the fuel pressure.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 AM

four things for a bad fuel pump is one the filter two the relay the pump it self or one of the fuel pressur regulators. i would go with the cheaper and easy to do things first filter see if that works if not the relay might be working intermittingly check that then it might be fuel pressure reg or fuel pump

Old 02-07-2012, 11:38 AM

Finally replaced the filter but the car is still running at a very uneven idle! I have no idea what to do and where to start!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Have you checked the fuel pressure at the rail to see if you have ok fuel pressure?

Old 02-07-2012, 12:24 PM

how do I check that?

Old 02-07-2012, 01:59 PM

hooking up a tool that guages the pressure of the fuel going to the lines. first i would swap a relay that matches with the fuel pump relay. to see if that rectifies it if it didnt sounds like the fuel pump not produsing enough pressure by doing the fuel pressure test. it also could be a fuel pressure regulator going bad the only thing to check to see if one or the other is going bad. i hope it helps but i am sorry to here you are having trouble with the wiered idel. also see if you can get it diagnosed by a computer to see if it might not be a nock sensor or anouther sensor that relates to fuel and spark. it will give a bad idel like bad fuel pressure. when was the last time you did clean or spraied a can of throttle body cleaner down the throttle body? sorry for the rant or a wiered sugestions

Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

There should be a shraeder valve on your fuel rail to hook a gauge to. Check it with the key on engine off and with the key on engine running. Should be somewhere between 40-50lbs I believe.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Fuel Pump Problem PLEASE HELP!