Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 03:18 PM
1 Year Member
Default Fluid question

Hey everyone, So a little while ago I remember reading something on a post and I can't for the life remember what thread it was on or where it was at. But anyway, I remember someone talking about how Monte Carlo's are notorious for using either engine oil or trans fluid and I just can't remember which one was being talked about. I stopped to get some stuff to finish up painting my engine cover and when I got back to my car and started it, it said that my oil was low and needed to be filled up. Which made me think of the post I had read. does anyone know what I am talking about? and if it's oil or trans fliud. Like I said, I for the life of me can't think of it. And I feel like I remember reading that there was a mod you can do to fix that problem. Hopefully that all makes sense and I'm not crazy haha. Thanks for the help

Old 04-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

From what I have read on the posts... 06 Montes where this issue of oil usage. All though I have never experianced this problem others on the form have. Seams to be specific to DOD (which I removed)

Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 AM

how often are you checking your oil? are you still running dod? oh and the car shouldnt just be low on trans fluid for no reason. if the car has the proper amount of oil in it it could be a sensor. some guy with a gxp had this problem. it was an easy fix. if its low and youre running dod that would be my first guess. this is assuming there arent huge pools of oil being left under your car everywhere you go.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You should never be using trans fluid in any car, if you are, there is a leak.

As for Monte's using oil, I don't think anything significant is normal for these cars. I have heard the V8's with DOD use some though...

In any event, if your low oil light is coming on, you should be checking more often. It takes very low oil levels for the light to come on. I'd make a habit of check once a week or so, at least till you get familiar with how much and how often it burns any oil.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Try to check your oil a little more often. If you romp on the car on the highway, someone behind you may see a little oil burn-off.

If you are constantly highway driving and kicking DOD on and off, that might be the problem.