Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

A few goodies arrived for the Monte today

Old 04-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default A few goodies arrived for the Monte today

The Monte has been down for over 2 months now while I accumulate parts for the freshening of the engine set up after I lost the turbo from the exhaust manifold debris. So while we have a new turbo Matt thought now would be a prime time to upgrade the Mass Air meter and he wanted to use the Abaco Digital Mass Air Meter. He feels with this new component and turbo we can really dial the motor in to run at it's very best. While I could have used the smaller DBX85, I would have to redo all my piping and such, get it all coated etc. So I opted to save a few dollars and use this larger unit and my existing piping. Matt feels we will eliminate low end acceleration issues and cherry out our drivability. Looks pretty B.A. DBX review follows:

At the SEMA Show we first saw the Abaco Performance line of Mass Air Meters and were immediately impressed with the innovative design, potential for improvement in drivability, and overall flow rates. In addition, the Abaco meter's ability to internally scale and rescale the signal output at the flip of a switch gives these metes unrivaled versatility. We had been looking for a high quality meter for our turbo kits for some time and had experimented with various OEM meters without finding anything that really impressed us. Upon returning from SEMA we placed an order for a DBX 97mm Meter with Bell to be used with our 4" intake option on our GT35R turbo kit for the Subaru Sti. Once the meter was fitted and properly scaled the difference in drivability between the Abaco MAF and the Ford meter we were previously using was astonishing. All the low throttle (low flow rate) stumbles that were apparent with the Ford meter were gone and we still had significant voltage headroom for more boost or additional power adders. We were thrilled with the results and so was the owner of the car. After our initial success with the DBX 97mm Meter we wanted to bring the same unparalleled drivability to our standard 3" intake kits as well so we placed an order for the DBX 85mm Meter to be fitted onto a '08 Sti. Again the difference in drivability between the Abaco meter and the stock Subaru meter was immediately apparent. The car's power delivery was as smooth as glass. It was truly a testament to the engineering behind this Mass Air Meter when we saw how stable the MAF voltage was all the way from idle to wide open throttle. Due to the impressive results we've seen with these meters we will continue to use the Abaco line of Mass Air Meters with all of our turbo kits.

Also have new wheel bearings to give me peace of mind as I feel the OEM ones with the way I have drove the car, don't have so very much longer to live. Were also going to remove the wheel studs and install ARP studs before these go on. More peace of mind..

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 04-16-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Very cool Greg!
Let us know how and if you get the gains your looking for!

Old 04-15-2013, 11:00 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Looks pretty sweet

Old 04-16-2013, 12:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

How is that going to hook up? And does it come with a table for it to be programmed or what?

Let me know how that rear bearing goes. I heard they are a PITA.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

Sweet Greg! Always making your Monte top notch!!

Old 04-16-2013, 04:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's awesome buddy!!

Old 04-16-2013, 05:29 AM

Hi `Greg, always doing your best to make it better I hope that your mod improves your performance in all your RPM's...

Thanks for posting/sharing your find & your updates

Old 04-16-2013, 05:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Very nice!

Old 04-16-2013, 08:09 AM

I never heard issues with needing this type of MAF. the LQ4 should be more then enough. wheel bearings are not that bad. I have done them on my monte a twice now. having 230,000 miles there is little i have not done.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Hello again, thought most of us here could appreciate nice parts being utilized on our never ending quest for the most optimized build. It will be exciting to see how this new meter will effect the motors performance. I don't know which meter I have on now, obviously it's not the OEM one, but we did go through 2 different ones during the build. Seems like there has always remained a low end stumbling and Matt after finishing Sam's Monte told me the way we will get rid of it is with this meter. So being the trusting soul Iam said lets get her done. So I guess Z34 I will find out what I have on there now and then maybe your never heard of situation will finally have manifested itself.
Pacer I will get back with you on the tables and how to connect explanation. It does come with a software disc, and I ordered in a connector cable from Summit that is built Abaco. It is a special order and will be here by April 24th. Thanks everyone for your positive input. Should be fun to see what it will do with in conjunction with the new Borg Warner 8374 Turbo and bad azz new turbo exhaust manifolds from Cartuning. Looking to be back behind the drivers seat sometime by the end of May

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A few goodies arrived for the Monte today