Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Is this the Evap Vent Solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Is this the Evap Vent Solenoid?

Good Evening MCF.
I don't have pics, I'll get a couple during lunch tomorrow. In the meantime I'll discribe what I think is the Evap Vent Solenoid and it's location.
It sits on the back of the motor just under the strut tower and right, facing the car, of the alternator. It is rectangular in shape, has 2 Vacuum lines coming from the drivers side and an electrical connection on the passenger side. Although the connector and the Vacuum lines are in good condition, the part itself has been burned to the Point were there is burn damage on the fire wall insulation.
I have to assume that this part is cause some kind of problem But not knowing anything other than it has something to do with Vacuum prevents me from getting a replacement part.
When I got my EGR valve replaced I asked the mechanic what it was, he didn't know. One of the Vacuum lines goes into a splinter, then one hose goes into the EGR Valve, the other goes to the Throttle body.
Does anyone have an idea what this part is? I think I need it Bad!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That sounds like what I would call the evap purge solenoid...could be the same thing....I accidently got that replaced b4 haha

Old 10-07-2013, 10:33 AM

There is a "Vapor Canister"........... not sure of it's location but I think it is near the fire wall and is feed from the "Canister Vent Valve". The Vapor Canister contains and releases harmful fuel fumes from the fuel tank to the engine.

There is a "Canister Vent Valve with Solenoid" that is located next to the gas fill neck and purges excess pressure from the gas tank to the "Vapor Canister". If this fails the valve fails to "open" and you will get a code for a mass vacuum leak.

Last edited by KCFITZ78; 10-07-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:36 AM

Also here is a "Canister Purge Valve".... maybe this mounts to the "Vapor Canister"????

Old 10-07-2013, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member

I made a mistake. The Vacuum line goes to the fuel pressure regulator. I have a pic in my phone. I will post it when I get home. Can't post pics from the phone.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:48 PM

if it goes to the FPR and attaches to the BBV, then it is the BBV solenoid. I found this pic on google. it is the yellow circle.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member

OK, this is the part I need

Here is a Bigger view so you can see the Vacuum Lines

From the "T" connector it Goes to the Front of the motor

You can see the second "T" connector
Here is the Full View.

As you can see, the vacuum comes from the TB. and if you look at the last pic, behind the part on the firewall there are Burn or Scorch marks. I took the last pick about 3 weeks after i got the car, April 2012, so it's been that way all this time. So I'm not worried about another fire. But I do want to replace this Whatever it is called. Of course knowing the name of the part would really HELP!
Thanks Guys

Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 PM

Seriously those vac lines are all sorts of ........ Up! I see a 4way fitting and another t fitting upfront and a bunch of others... Is there a reason you have so many junctions? It can't be good for the system

And it looks like an evap solenoid.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member

Actually, there is a Very good reason. I bought the car that way. I've been working on cars for 33 years. I would like to fix it But there is No Vacuum line diagram that I can fined. And No n/a SS near me so I can't use another car to guide me!

Old 10-07-2013, 07:43 PM

Ask and you shall receive....

actually #1 is acc and #2 is the brake booster.

Quick Reply: Is this the Evap Vent Solenoid?