Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Engine and Transmission Replace (Need Help/Advice) >PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Arrow Engine and Transmission Replace (Need Help/Advice) >PLEASE

Hello everyone, so long story short I have to have my transmission rebuilt and my engine taken apart and cleaned due to a carbon build up. I don't personally prefer rebuilt transmissions over new ones and the Transmission Shop wants to charge me $2,500 - $2,800 to rebuild the one that is in my vehicle now to repair the damage. The cost to have the engine removed and have the carbon build up cleaned out and engine put back inside of it will cost me about $1,100 around here in the DFW area of Texas.

I can get the engine removed and replaced as well as the transmission dropped out and new one in for free. So price to do it this way would be cheaper than paying someone else to do it.

I got to thinking that maybe I can get the new engine for similar or near same price I would rather just get a new one. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me which engine models would fit in my vehicle without modification? Following that I would need to get a new transmission to have put in as well that would be compatible with the new engine.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you very much!
Cody

Last edited by Space; 08-21-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: added some things 2 get attention from member's : )
Old 08-21-2013, 03:28 PM

Hi `Cody,
Sorry to read about your Monte Problems...I was going to ask you what engine you had, but found it in your profile...It will help our member's help you or advise you the best way for you to `go for the $'s..

> 2000 Monte Carlo LS 3.4L V6 <

How's the body/interior of your Monte ? How many miles on your present 3.4 L...What is your budget ?

Please post your answers to above & it will help our member's that have had the same or similar problems....Good Luck 4-Sure

Last edited by Space; 08-21-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:37 PM

Right sorry in my mind I know forgot you guys don't! Yes my vehicle is a 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo with stock 3.4L V6 with ~142k miles. The interior is actually looking pretty decent, the driver leather seat is only thing a little worn, rest of interior isn't bad. Fairly good condition for what I got it in.

I am looking at about $3500 budget or so for engine and transmission. I saw some stock engines online for about $1,100 with shipping and honestly not sure how much a transmission would cost. As long as it is a clean swap with no modifications needed I don't have to stick with stock engine.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:44 PM

Hi `Cody & thanks for your reply...We have several member's that have replaced their engines & transmissions, so keep checking back & I'm sure when they see your thread that they will post & help

You may want 2 explore the below link
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/of...-finder-36852/
Click it & Explore....There maybe a salvage yard in your area that might have a 3.8L with a transmission that in good running shape ? Nothing Ventured, nothing gained > Good Luck 4-Sure
Junk Yards, Auto Recyclers, Salvage Yards
Click above link - Enter you zip code - it will provide the
location/infor in your area.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:02 PM

Thanks Space, i've already started to look around for parted out Monte's. Even if it is another stock part wouldn't mind. Just wouldn't hesitate to turn this bad luck into something good with an upgrade if not too costly. I am not even sure how realistic a budget like mine is or not. Will check out those 2 links when i'm done with phone calls to some local salvage yards!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:16 PM

Hi Cody,
Have your consider looking for another Monte Carlo ?
Have you checked Craigslist in your area or other online auto sites...?

I hope you are patience & can wait for our Member's to see your thread & post their thoughts on what is the best way for you to `go..

Find Your Car: Chevrolet Monte Carlo Listings Near Mesquite, TX 75149 - AutoTrader.com
Check out a few Monte's in your area Click above link

> Click > dallas cars & trucks - by owner classifieds "chevy monte carlo" - craigslist

Last edited by Space; 08-22-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:35 PM

Yeah I have definitely considered that possibility. I just got this vehicle in February so it is sad to see this happen! I seem to have bad luck with vehicles ever since I got my first one. I have been checking out local auctions and craigslist and other sites. I am a patient person, and I know that the members time here is voluntary and believe me, much appreciated!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:46 PM

Hi Cody,
You are wise to consider all options...Is your Monte running ? Can you still drive it ? Beside the carbon build `up, what other issues were you having ? ? Did you check your `cat to see `if it's clogged or bad ?

How many mechanic's looked at your Monte & told you what is wrong ? Did you trust them ? (they are in business to make $'s, & don't seem to want to make friends : )

Post as much infor as you can about all your Monte Carlo problems & it will help our professional tech member's when they read your thread problem...

Good Luck 4 U & I hope it all works `out...We learn as we travel this journey called `life > some lessons just seem to be more expensive then others 4-Sure

Old 08-21-2013, 06:13 PM

Yes it runs but the transmission was having issues after I got an check engine code about long term adaptive shifting or something of the sort. As well as EGR Valve problems Took it to a couple mechanics here and they all told me the same thing. Very hard shift now, that just started out of nowhere, had it in shop 1 hour later. Has a lot that needs to be replaced inside the transmission from what the shop was telling me. ~$2,500 is what they quoted me. Engine did start to misfire which is when I got it checked originally, then 2 hours later had the transmission problem out of nowhere and had it in shop 1 hour later. All problems very sudden and no warning that I could tell.

If need any other info just let me know! All help appreciated!

Old 08-21-2013, 10:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry, I have not read everything (so if I missed something, I apologize).

The 3400 v6 you have is a VERY common engine for GM. To my knowledge you can get a 3400 from any GM you can find it in (depending on the donor car, you may need or want to mod the belt routing, such as the belt configuration on a 3400 in a grand am differs from one in a Monte).

You can upgrade to a L36 (Series II 3800) or an L26 (Series III 3800). You can even go with the super charged 3800s. Those require some PCM work and different wiring harnesses.

As for the transmissions.... I'm of limited help. But you need a 4t65e. But the 4t65 has different gear ratios in them. The 4t65e was used mor eon w-bodies (Montes, Grand Prixs, Regals, Impalas to name a few).

The Grand Ams and Aleros for example used a different trans (even though they have compatible engines).

Depends what your end goal is.

I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Engine and Transmission Replace (Need Help/Advice) >PLEASE