Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Engine Ticking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 03:26 PM
3 Year Member
Default Engine Ticking Sound

Hey, my car ticks at idle but not while driving that I can hear. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what's causing it. Audio Below.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sanjay Collins; 05-16-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 PM

Couldn't really tell the ticking was really faint in the vid. Most of the time when GM's tick it's a faulty lifter. You probably just can't hear it over the engine above idle. The lifter still makes the valve open and close, but it doesn't pump oil into the pushrod like it should, and the void left inside the lifter lets the valvetrain have "play" in it. The tiniest bit of play will be heard in the sound of a ticking or pecking.

Another thing that ticks is a timing chain when it gets a little loose over time. I'm sure these cars have an automatic timing chain tensioner. It has a hard plastic strip with a spring behind it and the spring holds the plastic strip tight against the timing chain, keeping slack out of the chain automatically. As you can probably imagine, this type of tensioner goes bad over time. The spring will get worn out and break or the plastic strip will deteriorate to nothing.

Try and track the ticking down to a certain part of the engine. A stethoscope would be nice but everybody can't get one. If it's coming from under the valve cover it's more than likely a lifter. Ticking coming from the front(passenger side) of the motor, it is more than likely the timing chain or tensioner. (the front of a front wheel drive motor is the passenger side of it)

I've actually heard exhaust leaks that sounded just like something knocking bad in the motor. If the sound isn't real loud usually it's not something too bad. When your motor sounds like somebodys beating it with a sledge hammer, then you got problems.

I didn't think that motor sounded too bad, but my hearing sucks anymore. I've heard a lot of these newer GM vehicles that had a slight tick in the valvetrain, but that's due to the more aggressive cam profiles they're able to run nowadays. If you pay attention most new GM's sound like that.

BTW, how many miles does your car have?

Old 05-25-2013, 02:40 AM

what part of the engine does it sound like it's coming from? ticking can be a few different things. yours doors not sound so serious but again, the sound clip is slightly faint to make an accurate guess. I had a similar noise and it was my exhaust manifold gasket. listen closely and turn car off. if it makes that tick noise when car is shut off most likely it's the gasket.

doesn't sound like a bad lifter but like wvmontels said, it is common on these motors.

I wouldn't recommend driving it much until issue is fixed though. good luck let us know how it goes!

Old 05-25-2013, 02:41 AM

oops I meant doesn't, not doors haha

Old 05-25-2013, 11:25 AM
3 Year Member

Yeah, sorry, that was the best sound capture I could get. It's just like an aerosol can shaking sound. To me it sounds like it's come from underneath the engine on the right side of the bay (if you were to be standing in front of the car). I assumed it was something to do with valves or lifters or something because it happened immediately after I switched from conventional to synthetic oil. It didn't make the sound, switched, started it up and has done it ever since. Also, the car has 70,xxx miles.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It sounds like sticking lifters to me or excessive wear in the valve train. The next time you change oil pour a half quart of ATF in the crankcase and let the engine IDLE for about 15 minutes. DO NOT rev the engine. Then drain and replace oil/filter. Hopefully the noise goes away.

Last edited by 03SSLE; 05-25-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:33 AM

Sounds to me like the birth of a rod knock

Old 05-26-2013, 06:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it was excessive rod bearing clearance it would be a heavy knocking sound. A lighter, metallic tapping is usually associated with valve train clearance. What makes me believe it's sticking lifters is the increase in volume and tapping during deceleration. That symptom is a sign that the lifters are not pumping up/bleeding off as they should be or excessive clearance in the valve train.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:29 PM

It's a shame you're having problems, that's a beautiful car. I've seen these cars run 300,000 plus rough, neglected miles with no problems. And I've also seen people take good care of their GM car and blow a motor or tranny at 50,000 miles. I've never torn one of the newer v6's apart, I assume it has roller lifters. I know it has a roller cam. We're talking about an 05 monte, right? If it has roller lifters, I think you can get a new set for around 100 dollars. Flat lifters you should be able to find new for around 40 for the Delphi anti pump-up. You only gotta have 12 instead of 16, so that's good. But I'd make damn sure that's what it is. You can't take your valve covers off and watch the rockers while the car's running, can you? It'd probably be a big pain in the butt, if it's even possible. But that's how I determined I had a stuck lifter on my '87. It'll be the one that isn't squirting oil everywhere. Of course, my car isn't fuel injected and it's rear wheel drive so taking the valve covers off and starting the car isn't that big a deal.

Did you notice any change in oil pressure after you changed the oil and your engine started the ticking? Probably not but I thought I'd ask.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:50 PM

as others have stated, a ticking lifter is common to hear at idle and not at higher RPM. On older big blocks I have had luck by removing the valve cover, starting the engine and letting it idle; use a squirt can of type A automatic transmission fluid and squirt next to the lifters where they sound is coming from; if you get the lifter to quiet down; replace the valve cover and be sure to change oil. (trany fluid in the engine at high RPM or over and extended period of time is not recommended) ;-) Let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Sound