Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Engine smoke--did i lower the cradle too far?

Old 02-21-2017, 05:33 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Engine smoke--did i lower the cradle too far?

Just finished replacing the leaking steering rack in a 2002 MC SS 3.8. First time I ever lowered the engine cradle, service manual doesn't specify how low it can go, doesn't say to disconnect the pipe to the cat, so i didn't. Found a source online that said to lower no more than 3 inches,so I was careful to stop short of that.

Now when it's running, a thin cloud of white smoke rises up around where the pipe from the cat joins the manifold. I can't see any hole or rip. The exhaust system doesn't sound any different.

There's been power steering fluid, transmission fluid, and brake fluid around back there, but I don't see any liquid there to smoke.

Did I bend or tear something when i lowered the cradle?

Would it likely be at the clamp between the pipe and the manifold? Or the manifold itself?

Thanks.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Might still be a petroleum product burning off causing the white smoke. Is there white smoke coming out the tailpipe?
There is a gasket where the down pipe connects to the manifold that might have gotten tweaked. Check for leaks by moving a lit cigarette or similar around the joint with the engine running and see if the smoke gets blown away.

Search this Thread