Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Engine Ping (KR)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Default Engine Ping (KR)

So at WOT my engine gets the ping. I have no codes, CEL's or anything like that. I did a search through this site and the search turns up nothing- No Results. I really don't care for the search function on this forum. Anyway, I read that engine running hot can cause this- No, engine runs at normal operating temp. Fuel Octane rating low- A 3.8 should run on 87 octane no problem. Gas in my area does have up to 10% ethanol in it. And then there is carbon build up- I have ran some injector cleaner through it just recently and I used some oil de-sludging solvent as well. There is only a problem at WOT. Higher octane gas does help but I haven't used octane rating higher than 91 and I shouldn't have to.
What are the main KR problems with the 3.8?
I have done the UIM/LIM gaskets, temp sensor. t-stat, and cat recently.
Appreciate the help

Old 05-23-2010, 08:45 AM

So at WOT my engine gets the ping.
Do you mean you hear an audible ping? If you're hearing knock, something is seriously wrong.

KR is normal and common on the 3800, and pretty much any engine- especially in small amounts. How much KR are we talking here?

I have no codes, CEL's or anything like that.
KR will not throw a code.

Fuel Octane rating low- A 3.8 should run on 87 octane no problem. Gas in my area does have up to 10% ethanol in it.
Yes, it will run on 87 fine, but that doesn't mean there won't be a little KR at WOT. Could be due to age- a little overly aggressive timing for your area- but a little KR is no big deal, especially on a stock engine.

And then there is carbon build up- I have ran some injector cleaner through it just recently and I used some oil de-sludging solvent as well.
You're not going to get rid of carbon buildup with that kind of stuff- the worst carbon buildup for KR is in the combustion chamber- and nothing is going to clean off the pistons or inside the chamber.

There is only a problem at WOT.
That's the only time you should have KR- WOT, and other very heavy load situations (ie steep hills, etc)

Higher octane gas does help but I haven't used octane rating higher than 91 and I shouldn't have to.
As the engine ages- you may need to go up a step in octane of fuel to get the same performance and no knock due to carbon build up and a bunch of other things caused by wear and age.

If your KR is crazy excessive- then you may have an actual problem, but some KR is common on pretty much every 3800 I've seen.

What are the main KR problems with the 3.8?
No real problems caused by it- other than slight loss of performance- especially on a NA 3800. Now if you had a modded supercharged 3800- it would be different, then KR could chip away the pistons- but on an NA 3800, or stockish SC 3800- KR is no big deal.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:51 AM

how are you finding out that you do have knock?

Old 05-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just out of curiousity, where are you from?

Old 05-23-2010, 11:21 PM

Thanks for all the replies and help.
I do not hear a knock at WOT only the slight pinging. From what Bumpin has said I guess this is normal. The car does have 153k miles on it and I don't think that the previous owner took the best of care of it. So WOT throttle pings are normal? The pings aren't excessive and are only at WOT, I can hear the light pinging when driving the car and I am usually merging onto the highway and I got to get on it to merge. The car also has no mods Maybe someday...
And I live in Maine. I have stepped up to 89 octane for now and the pings are less noticeable at WOT but are still present.
Again, thanks to all for your replies and insight. I appreciate all your help.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've never heard any kind of KR and I had 9* of it at one point. Still, no audible pinging noise. Perhaps you have something loose under the hood?

Old 05-23-2010, 11:41 PM

I'm pretty sure that it is pinging because of the change when I use a higher octane fuel.
I'm gonna try some octane booster or 91 grade (the highest we have here in Maine that is readily accessible) and see if there is a clear difference.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Don't waste your money with octane booster, it's a rip off. Just get the highest octane you can.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sliver
Thanks for all the replies and help.
I do not hear a knock at WOT only the slight pinging. From what Bumpin has said I guess this is normal.
huh?

Do you mean you hear an audible ping? If you're hearing knock, something is seriously wrong.
By knock- I meant knock/ping- you shouldn't hear anything from traditional knock/ping unless something is seriously wrong. The engine has knock sensors, and the pcm pulls timing before you ever hear it.

That is why I said- the only way to tell you have knock/ping- is to scan the pcm. You'll see what is called KR which is the pcm pulling timing to avoid actual knock/ping.

Again- if you hear an audible knock/ping- that is not normal, something is wrong.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:42 AM

What could be wrong? If I accelerate hard I can hear pinging. The best way I can describe the pinging is like if you are driving a manual tranny car and are in a high gear and are going up a hill and instead of downshifting, you just put the pedal to the metal.

Quick Reply: Engine Ping (KR)