Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

ENGINE FLUSH

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 02:24 AM
Default ENGINE FLUSH

since i had my car almost 5 years now,i had changed my oil with lots of different brands and i think it woukld be good to give it a flush and stick to basically one brand (mobil 1)so if i take it to a dealer and they do it, what is the process like what do they use to flush it with?and second question is there anyway to tell if you have engine sludge though pretty sure i dont.is there a way to check for it?thanks

Old 12-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Default RE: ENGINE FLUSH

Dude you need to stick to 1 brand and 1 wt. oil, If its mobil1 run it 2500 miles change it and never look back, the only other thing I would do is make sure you change the filter every 3-5K. No flushing

Old 01-11-2008, 05:35 PM

i would still like to know what they do to flush the engine.is it recommended

Old 01-11-2008, 05:50 PM

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone flushing an engine... maybe to get rid of coolant from a leaky gasket, but all they do is change the oil to synthetic, run it for 15 min, and change the oil again.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:04 PM

Nope nope nope! Never do an engine flush!What happens is they force water through passages, some of those passages have one way valves, the water and solvent will still force its way through it. This could cause damage to something, you may not notice it till down the road. A mechanic friend of mine said never to do one, you'll rarely see a dealer even offer the service... it'll mainly be places like Goodyear or other shops that'll offer it. Not the best thing for it.

Like everyone else said, stay with one wait and one type and you'll be fine

Old 01-11-2008, 06:31 PM

i would also not recommend an engine flush. type i'm familiar with uses an oil filter adapter and pumps solvent through your engine... seems like a bad idea to me.

if youre worried about having a clean engine, i'd say use mobil 1 and change the oil at 3000miles or less.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:49 PM

Engine Flush NOT Recommended:

http://autotechrepair.suite101.com/a...hing_necessary

Old 01-12-2008, 01:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Nathan

you'll rarely see a dealer even offer the service... it'll mainly be places like Goodyear or other shops that'll offer it. Not the best thing for it.
Ahh that is why I never see them. I never use those places so I never heard of it.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am AGAINST using ANY kind of high pressure flushing machine. What we are talking about here is a can of Lucas oil flush, or a similar TOP notch product, used per recommendation before switching to synthetic oil.
IMO, a high pressure transmission flush does more harm than good, as it basically destroys the filter from the pressure, and puts all the junk back thru the tranny, and NEVER cleans out what's in the pan.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:23 PM

The only thing I flush is the toilet. [8D]

Closest thing I get to a flush when it comes to automotive is a motorvac (professional injector flush).

I agree with the responses so far, stay away from engine flushes, stay away from tranny flushes.

Quick Reply: ENGINE FLUSH