Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Engine Codes (Misfire, Crank Sensor... sigh...)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:07 AM
Default Engine Codes (Misfire, Crank Sensor... sigh...)

Here's the other thread I said I would make, to keep my engine and tranny problems separate from each other. My car is a 20o0 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L V6.

I am currently experiencing some really odd issues with my car. They're listed below:

1) When I can on the highway, it feels like everything locks up for a second then goes right back to normal. It makes the car jerk pretty hard, and I've not noticed any other "problems" that this symptom has caused.

2) I am getting an almost constant P0400, which is because I have a secondary air pump that's supposed to be hooked up to the back of my exhaust manifold, but it appears I am missing some vacuum line. Any way to stop this? I am not in an emissions testing region.

3) I am also getting (I forget the code #) a 1st Cyl. Misfire code, confirmed (not pending). I have an app on my Android phone that connects to my ELM327 BT adapter to read the codes, so I can usually get the codes pretty quickly. I clear them all the time, though, becuase the engine light is obnoxious.

4) My newest issue is a P0336 code, which is something about the circuitry of the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Since I am not exactly sure WHY this is happening, are there any common things I should look for?

I really hope that someone can help me try to keep my baby running. I've put so much blood, sweat, and energy into this car that I really hate to see her sad like this.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:57 AM

if you know were the vacuum lines supose to go then pick some hose up and throw it on. Misfire could be plugs/wires, icm, or just a coil pack. What have you all done to your car and aprox. how many miles ago? To test if its a coil pack switch 1 for another and see if the misfire switches cylinder. 2000-2002 has a known problem for catylitic converter failure wich may be the fix to problem 1. For the last issue did the code read something about low input? If so there's a good chance its just sensor failure, or if it has seals they may be damaged.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by mwjames
if you know were the vacuum lines supose to go then pick some hose up and throw it on. Misfire could be plugs/wires, icm, or just a coil pack. What have you all done to your car and aprox. how many miles ago? To test if its a coil pack switch 1 for another and see if the misfire switches cylinder. 2000-2002 has a known problem for catylitic converter failure wich may be the fix to problem 1. For the last issue did the code read something about low input? If so there's a good chance its just sensor failure, or if it has seals they may be damaged.
Yes, the code did mention low input. It was a "yellow" code (means pending on my code reader). The last time I found this code, I didn't experience any symptom, but often times, when I get this code, the situation in Problem 1 in my OP occurs.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:38 PM

i agree i would do a tune up to see if the plugs are worn. just when you are there you can replace the wires nocking out two potential comon might be problem with the miss fire. after that it could be a missfire with the poticular coil. the reason why i said replace wires and plugs they are a little cheaper than the coil packs. with the error with the crank sencor i would replace the whole thing and the ceal that comes with it to make sure it does not come up with the same code again. with the cat problem i would find some hoses to hook back up to it to make it run better. might get a little more life out of the original but it is the most comon problem with the 3800. if it didnt i would get a aftermarket high flow one from magnaflow or a whole complete down pipe frome zzperformance or anouther 3800 place that also makes it have a straighter pipe with cat

Old 04-17-2012, 03:39 PM

I'd say your to do list is 1. Plugs/wires (don't buy the super cheapys) I usually buy the lifetime belkin wire set from napa 2. Replace that crankshaft sensor that's a vital sensor to engine life and the code being set off is most likely telling you the sensor is shot 3. Replace the vacuum from the air pump, its there to feed gases into the intake manifold, w/o that hooked up your pcm can't run the car like its programmed to 4. Bring your car to a mechanic and have the cat checked. I agree with monte07 if it needs replacement get a magnaflow, or downpipe with cat from zzp (nice little upgrade) my magnaflow cat costed $100 and $75 to have welded. I received close to $75 for my old cat. And let us know how everything goes good luck!

Old 04-18-2012, 03:29 AM

I'll definitely look into the magnaflow cat if I can't get the issues resolved another way.

Here's an update on what I am experiencing with my monte, though.

Last weekend, I went to a junk yard, and stumbled across another car with the same air injection system that my monte has. I took photos of the one on the car in the yard, pulled all the vacuum lines, and got them all figured out on my car. I do not get any engine codes related to my secondary air injection system any longer.

I am getting more and more codes regarding my crank sensor though as well as other items. I'm not the most fortunate person here right now, so I can't spend much money at all on the car, but I've found an oil leak that's got my crank sensor soaked in oil, and the source of the leak, i believe, is actually from a sensor that slides into the timing chain cover and only accessible by removing the harmonic balancer. So, I will be repairing that very soon. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress. Also, once I retrieve my codes that I saved to my phone, I'll post them here, too.

and, zzp?

Last edited by whitemonte; 04-18-2012 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 PM

Can you post a pic of the leak ? I wouldn't replace the sensor until the oils done dripping on it. Zzp is a site aftermarket parts site, with tons of goodies! I think its ZZPerformance - Go Fast... Not Broke | 3800 | Ecotec | Sonic/Cruze. I'm interested to see the new codes

Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 PM

Can you post a pic of the leak ? I wouldn't replace the sensor until the oils done dripping on it. Zzp is a site aftermarket parts site, with tons of goodies! I think its ZZPerformance - Go Fast... Not Broke | 3800 | Ecotec | Sonic/Cruze. I'm interested to see the new codes

Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 AM

Once I pull the balancer, I'll snap a couple pictures so you can see what I am seeing.

I replaced the crankshaft seal about 45 days ago and it didn't fix the oil leak at all. I looked around the oil pan to see if i had anything obvious where the gasket is, and nothing. Somehow oil is splashing onto the belt, being launched all over the place. This is why I am going to check that sensor that's behind the balancer to see if it's leaking. All that holds it in position is a screw and an o-ring, so maybe the o-ring went bad.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:23 AM

I plan on fixing the oil leak this week, once I get done with my work for the week.

One thing I noticed, though, is that since I installed the vacuum lines that were missing (read the thread for more info) I have only gotten 1 engine light since, and that was while i was driving my Monte the next day, i believe. Since then, I haven't had to clear any codes (that's not to say there aren't any pending, just no light yet).

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Engine Codes (Misfire, Crank Sensor... sigh...)