Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

eaton M62 on 3400?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:28 AM

but with supporting mods, i might expect a little more, and its not common,
If you're talking with other mods, then we can't really tell you unless you tell us what mods you're talking about.

I think even a 80hp gain is too high if you do an M62 like above- remote mounted. First off the 3800's only make 240hp with an M90, and only did like 225 with an M62 (granted it was a different version of the engine)- but still, they were only seeing a 40 horsepower gain or so over non-supercharged. It would take a good bit of supporting mods to get you up to 80 hp gain. Not to mention, you'd have more parasitic loss from having such a long and heavy drive shaft for the supercharger.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:45 AM

Sorry, my mind was stuck on the M90. Even then though you would have a hard time getting 80 huh?? With your PCM and intake I would say you're looking at maybe 50. But who cares, you would be one of the VERY few with a supercharged 3400.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
If you're talking with other mods, then we can't really tell you unless you tell us what mods you're talking about.

I think even a 80hp gain is too high if you do an M62 like above- remote mounted. First off the 3800's only make 240hp with an M90, and only did like 225 with an M62 (granted it was a different version of the engine)- but still, they were only seeing a 40 horsepower gain or so over non-supercharged. It would take a good bit of supporting mods to get you up to 80 hp gain. Not to mention, you'd have more parasitic loss from having such a long and heavy drive shaft for the supercharger.
thanks, gave me a more reasonable expectation haha, im thinking if i get it ill have to get rid of my wizaired, and go FWI, but i would probably be getting mostly everything ported, tog headers and stuff, probably something similar to the guy in the cardomain, ill plan on dropping somewhere around 10-12 grand

Old 05-15-2010, 12:46 PM

well if your dropping that kind of cash, why dont you just go with a turbo then? ive heard you can get more hp out of a turbo then a supercharger. and you said you wanted something different, a turbo would be that. not too many of those around on our cars i would think. just my 2cents

Old 05-15-2010, 01:22 PM

tog headers and stuff
I didn't know TOG made headers for the 3400? I know they make 3800 headers though.

ill plan on dropping somewhere around 10-12 grand
I'll say this before you start buying things. You need to seriously consider doing that before you start making purchases. Make a list of the prices of everything, and what all parts you want to go into the build. Then post up on the various forums and see if you can get a ballpark on what kind of power you're looking at, and compare your options.

I will say, if you're looking at that kind of money- I'd definitely go with an M90 (or MP90 or yella terra snout if you do a remote mount)- its not that much longer, and is otherwise about the same size. I don't know what the most power anyone has made on an M62, but I'd imagine its a good bit less than the M90's. Honestly, the big power 3800 guys are spinning the M90 way out of its efficient range- it'll be even worse with an M62. IMO the M62's are better suited for mild mod'd, low boost V6's- or for 4 cylinder applications. I also agree that with that kind of money, a properly sized turbo would blow either setup out of the water.

The other two things you've got to think about dumping that much money into your car are: 1.) Traction- if you end up spending that kind of money and making what the 3800 guys do with the same kind of money, you should be well over 300 whp- and traction starts to become a real issue on street tires. You'll end up getting beaten on the streets by lower power RWD cars because they can run wider tires, and have the weight transfer advantage. 2.) How fast it will be compared to what you could get- for $12k, you could easily pick up an LS1 Camaro or Firebird- and you could use your car as a daily driver while you mod the LS1, or sell it for modding. Even stock, an LS1 manual car would be able to easily outrun an M62'd 3400 with basic bolt on's, and they have tons of mod potential. Plus, they're a lot more driveable with higher power levels due to better traction of wide tires on RWD and due to a much stronger transmission.

I'm just saying from experience- I have that kind of money in the engine in my monte- and the thing is pretty much useless on street tires. Sure I can put some slicks on it for the track- but then I'm worried about the transmission and axles and such (even on a built trans)- that's why I'm gathering parts for a RWD conversion. I'm tired of having no traction, and I don't want to worry forever about the trans coming apart.

Just something to think about.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-15-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member

Well the thing is I want to do this for more of a show car and I'm not a big fan of turbos but is the m90 the huge thing on top of that car that was pictured? I don't want something huge and I'll have an 07 ss by that time or at least something else for a daily driver While the work is being done and after

Old 05-15-2010, 05:00 PM

Well the thing is I want to do this for more of a show car
If its mostly just for show anyways, why not just have your upper intake manifold polished to a mirror finish, and dress up the rest of the engine bay? That's going to be a lot of money and custom work for something that is mostly just for show.

I'm not a big fan of turbos
Just out of curiosity- how come? Only reason I ask, is I hear a lot of people say they don't like turbos because of 'turbo lag'- and then you put them in a car with a modern, properly selected turbo setup- and they're blown away. If its because they look messy with all the extra piping and tubing- I do definitely agree. The bad thing is, if you plan to race it at all- you're going to be embarrassed by spending so much money and having the turbo guys still put out 100hp over you with the same engine- you know?

but is the m90 the huge thing on top of that car that was pictured? I don't want something huge
Yes- the two superchargers above with the supercharger stuck on top of the intake manifold are M90's (gen 3's off of an L67). The thing you have to understand- is when you get down to the actual supercharger core size, they're both very similar in size. The M90's look bigger because they have an extended area cast in for the TB mount- and they have the TB connected as well, plus they have a heavily reinforced snout- so they look massive. Only reason people use them is because they're dirt cheap- I've seen some M90's go for $100.

Where do you plan to get your supercharger from? I'm not sure if you can even find an M62 kit like the one posted above. I don't hang around the 60* forums at all, but being that I've never seen one for sale, and only a random pic of one here and there- I can't imagine they're all that common.

I'd imagine you'd probably end up having to buy a head unit from magnuson unless you're planning on trying to pick up a used one off an early 90's car.

If you did buy one from magnuson, here are the sizes:

So just looking at the case itself (ignoring the snout)- they're both the same length, the MP90 is 0.4" taller, and is 1.05" wider. Definitely not a huge difference- they're both almost the same size. Plus, the pictures showing just the base head units (without the manufacturers added on stuff)- gives you a better base for comparison purposes.

Then obviously you'd have to buy a modular snout to get the pulley over across the engine bay. Manguson and Yella Terra both make them:

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/drives.htm

http://www.yellaterra.com.au/product...goryIdentity=5

Eaton does have a 'simulator' on their site. I tried playing with it, but its kindof a pain- and you have to have hp vs rpm points to make a hp curve:

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...gers/index.htm

(its on the bottom right)

You have to have not only the dyno chart for your engine, but also the VE values at each rpm point (which you wouldn't have without looking at your pcm's data).

I'll have an 07 ss by that time or at least something else for a daily driver While the work is being done and after
I'd just hate to see you dropping $10k into doing an M62 (or MP62), and having it make the same or less than the 07 SS does out of the box, you know? That would be pretty frustrating.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:23 PM

Yeah man, I just wanna know. (and your liking is YOUR liking) why dont you like turbos? It is really the best "bang for your buck" as far as forced induction. I mean like I said, its about what you like. But, if you dont throw on this giant honking turbo, you wont really get the dreaded lag. The bigger the turbo, the harder it is for the exhaust to get the turbine spinning. Or is it that you just like the idea of a supercharger? I can definetly understand that.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:26 PM

Also, if you're looking to drop so much money, have you though about doing a custom CSC?? I mean, it gonna be a pretty custom job to do the supercharger anyway. Now I dont know any numbers or gains with this but I do know it is an efficiant way of boosting. Just a couple thoughts to think over though, not trying to talk you out of what you want or change your mind. Whatever you do is gonna be badass for sure!!! Its gonna be a forced induction 3400, HELLYEAH!!!

Old 05-15-2010, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member

i guess i just like the supercharger whine more, how much would a turbo be with decent supporting mods? id assume a little cheaper? i think mike at milzy has one now? now you guys have me second guessing haha

and for the show thing, i think its kind of a, wow thats a 3400 MC and its turboed or supercharged, thats awesome.

either way i would prefer to keep this car, any ideas on supercharging or turboing the 5.3s? because im looking at getting one of those after college but either way i also wanna supercharge or turbo one or the other

Quick Reply: eaton M62 on 3400?