Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Dreaded P1811 code

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Dreaded P1811 code

So it appears as though I have a P1811 on my newly acquired used '01 Monte Carlo with 122K. Had an auto repair garage check the code and they said "the transmission is worn out". I find that hard to believe. I just the tranny go out on a '96 Olds Cutlass with 263K on it. Hopefully this Monte will last as long.

I have a buddy that can do the transmission for a case of beer. Yeah I know gotta love cheap labor.

Should we replace just the shift solenoid valve? Or with 122K should we do a rebuild on it? If a rebuild is recommended I'm reading good things about Triple Edge Performance but what kit should I be looking at? I don't even know what transmission this thing has in it. Its the 3.8 Series II engine I know. If its a rebuild I'm not looking for any high performance stuff just a regular rebuild kit will be fine. I see they have a couple kits on the site. What's an "overhaul kit" and what's a "master kit"?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd fully rebuild if it cost me a case of beer for sure. Would he do one for me for a case of liquor? lol

Old 06-06-2013, 05:57 AM

I would do a rebuild. When I had my first car which was a 96' ford thunderbird that had 106K miles on it. And it slipped gears from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th. I got a rebuild kit (don't remember exactly what it was) and took the car over to my girlfriends house, seeing as her dad has every tool known to man. And him, my dad, and me took the thing out and rebuilt it and put it in. Took about a day to get it out, 2 and a half to put it back together and then a good full day to put it back together. The clutch packs in the car were all burnt and the trans fluid was black (previous owner never changed it). I have to say, if you ever have an opportunity to see inside a transmission, and I mean more then just the solenoids, do it. It's really awesome and how perfectly cut and smooth everything is. Anyway, Long story short, yes do a full rebuild lol.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:50 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by PacerSS
I'd fully rebuild if it cost me a case of beer for sure. Would he do one for me for a case of liquor? lol
LOL he does like his alcohol.

I originally called him to see if he could do an exhaust manifold gasket as the same garage told me it was leaking. Had a problem of REALLY sucking through the gas and was throwing a couple codes. He said "Hell I just did the heads on a 3.4 so yeah I'm sure I can". LOL

But after driving it back from the garage it didn't use a drop of a gas wheres by on the trip there it had used an 1/8th of a tank (for a 20 minute drive). My buddies reasoning is that instead of the gasket needing replaced it was probably leaking from the bolts being loose and they must have tightened the bolts up. I'm gonna keep monitoring the gas consumption. I don't know the full MPG yet as gas is $4.30 a gallon here.

Originally Posted by iMuf
I would do a rebuild. When I had my first car which was a 96' ford thunderbird that had 106K miles on it. And it slipped gears from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th. I got a rebuild kit (don't remember exactly what it was) and took the car over to my girlfriends house, seeing as her dad has every tool known to man. And him, my dad, and me took the thing out and rebuilt it and put it in. Took about a day to get it out, 2 and a half to put it back together and then a good full day to put it back together. The clutch packs in the car were all burnt and the trans fluid was black (previous owner never changed it). I have to say, if you ever have an opportunity to see inside a transmission, and I mean more then just the solenoids, do it. It's really awesome and how perfectly cut and smooth everything is. Anyway, Long story short, yes do a full rebuild lol.
That is what mine is doing. Hard shifts into 1st, 2nd and sometimes into 3rd and 4th. Sometimes slams me into 1st from a stop but not very often. I suspect whoever owned this might have been racing it. Nothing wrong with that as long as you do the maintenance on it and have the deep pockets to keep it on the road. This guy I don't think did that however.

Yeah John estimates a day or two. He's got a hoist, impact wrenches, big bottle neck jack, and like your g/f's dad every tool known to man. Only one draw back dude has MS so its hard for him to get around but he loves working on engines and cars. And he knows his stuff most importantly.

So any idea what kit? They have several listed under the rebuilds: "banner kit", "overhaul kit" and "master kit" which would I need and what is the difference in these?

Old 06-06-2013, 08:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Generally these transmissions start showing sign of age around 80,000 and up... it all starts with shifting issues....almost like it has a shift kit in it...
Theres a soft rebuild.... which is basically ...hot flushing the system...
Lines,radiator resvoir etc.... Then changeing out all the steels clutchs etc...

Or a hard traditional rebuild where not only do you hot flush the system,change out clutchs and steels, But also solenoids,drums,gears torque converter,valve body etc....... and all the hardware within the transmission... Thats worn,burnt,cracked chipped etc....

Of course its not usually a choice you can tell them(The Trans Shop) until they get it out,tear it down and see whats what... A complete trans rebuild (depending on the shop) Can run as little as $1000.00 to as much as $1600.00 or more!

Personally.... I have never heard of a "Master" rebuild!

Old 06-06-2013, 02:49 PM

I bought the Monte with P1811 on it! Previous owner said there were problems with the transmission. Check this link: Peoples Transmission: P1811 - Maximum Adapt and Long Shift Mode Chevy, Pontiac, Saturn, and Buick Front Wheel Drive Vehicles I guess your options are a flush or a rebuild, and if it was for a case of beer, then maybe you should really consider that as the best route!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member

Well the plot thickens gentlemen.

Although my buddy is pretty good at repairs he lacks the diagnostic equipment to actually diagnose. So I took it to a transmission shop that offers "free" diagnostic with a scan tool and free test drive. The guy told me not only does it need a PCS but will also likely need the "clutch plates" replaced. So it looks like a rebuild is the way to go. He said the kicking you into the 1st gear from a dead stop is indicative of worn clutch plates?

I'm thinking if my buddy is willing to tear this down on a weekend and really get into it than we might as well rebuild it. We may try a flush on it first to see if that corrects anything. The fluid looks like its in pretty good shape.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by michelob
Well the plot thickens gentlemen.

Although my buddy is pretty good at repairs he lacks the diagnostic equipment to actually diagnose. So I took it to a transmission shop that offers "free" diagnostic with a scan tool and free test drive. The guy told me not only does it need a PCS but will also likely need the "clutch plates" replaced. So it looks like a rebuild is the way to go. He said the kicking you into the 1st gear from a dead stop is indicative of worn clutch plates?

I'm thinking if my buddy is willing to tear this down on a weekend and really get into it than we might as well rebuild it. We may try a flush on it first to see if that corrects anything. The fluid looks like its in pretty good shape.
If the fluid is the correct color without smelling burnt...a flush fluid filter change more than likely wont change anything... its worn out...
The trans shop sounds like he was speaking of the "Soft" rebuild! (Did they do a trans fluid PH test?)

Would be kinda pointless doing a flush fluid filter change only to have to tear it down and to do the rebuild anyway? IMO.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
If the fluid is the correct color without smelling burnt...a flush fluid filter change more than likely wont change anything... its worn out...
The trans shop sounds like he was speaking of the "Soft" rebuild! (Did they do a trans fluid PH test?)

Would be kinda pointless doing a flush fluid filter change only to have to tear it down and to do the rebuild anyway? IMO.
He hooked up a big orange box looking scan tool to it and went on a drive for about 10-15 minutes. One thing noted is if I turn off the car and restart it the shifting is normal until it is driven for about 15 minutes or so. Don't know if this makes a bit of difference?

I was wondering about doing the flush. Can you supply me a link to Triple Edge Performance and the correct kit recommended?

Thanks.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member

Well my friend is having cold feet now about doing the rebuild on this. He is worried about his eye site failing him. With his MS he doesn't see like he used to. So rebuilding is not an option now.

So would a "shift kit" help this problem and if so where would I get one? I'm reading about Transgo and Thrasher and ZZP or something? I know it may not be a cure all but the forums I'm reading on where people have installed these they have worked miracles.

Thoughts and comments?

Quick Reply: Dreaded P1811 code