Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Crankshaft position sensor help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Crankshaft position sensor help

Wasssuuppp MCF!! Its been a good while....

long story short... ive been working 60 hours lately with this new job i got. i barely have time to do anything and get home exhausted so that explains why i rarely get on anymore im still here though, have a few mods coming soon for my monte so i'll update you guys on that

but for now i need some help lol
lately my monte has been randomly shutting off on me, and sometimes wont even start at all. i got 2 codes for the crank shaft position sensor so i need to get that replaced, but have a few questions first lol
how difficult is it to replace? (i do know i have to remove the crank pulley to get to it first )
also will i need to have a relearn procedure done? i ask those question because i want to tackle this challenge myself and save some $$$ :p

any help/tips will be greatly appreciated guys

Old 04-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's not very hard. You may want to see how to do a case relearn for your car though. Take off the crank pulley, remove the sensor, put the new one on there, reinstall crank pulley and you're done.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:52 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
It's not very hard. You may want to see how to do a case relearn for your car though. Take off the crank pulley, remove the sensor, put the new one on there, reinstall crank pulley and you're done.
does sound very easy!

i mainly want to know if i do or dont need a case relearn

Old 04-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would say yes. Better safe than sorry.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:21 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
I would say yes. Better safe than sorry.
yea i guess youre right
will the car turn on after i install the new sensor? that way i can drive it to have it relearned

Old 04-22-2012, 10:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Frank good to see you online. I found this maybe it will help. How to Align the Crankshaft Position Sensor in a Monte Carlo | eHow.com

Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by lougreen03
Frank good to see you online. I found this maybe it will help. How to Align the Crankshaft Position Sensor in a Monte Carlo | eHow.com
Thanks Lou

I'm going to get a quote hopefully tomorrow after work and if it's reasonable I'll just take that route lol

Old 05-31-2012, 09:19 AM

2011 Monte Of The Year

I finally got my CPS replaced! :p lol and best of all i didn't need a relearn procedure done
Before i got anything done i got a pretty good hello from my rotor thats what i get for trying to rush things

Bolt is a PITA to remove! My impact wasn't budging it all so i used the "redneck" way and it worked great >>> Removing a harmonic balancer bolt on a Buick 3800 V6 - YouTube <<<

after that I was stuck for a while trying to figure this out, as you can see there is no visible threads for the 3 bolts that are used on the puller

after some research i found my answer, the threads are actually inside of them holes so i had to run down to home depot for some grade 8 1/4" x 3" bolts and washers because the ones that come with the puller kit wont work :p came out pretty easy after that

i also went ahead and replaced my crank seal (old one in pic) while i was there, seems like my oil pan gasket is leaking a tiny but thats something i'll worry about when/if i replace my trans :p i cleaned up some of the mess it made

here you can see where the bolts go inside the holes

and what it looks like from behind

after all that was done i went ahead and replaced my sway bar end links which were in pretty bad shape :p

and my mess......

Last edited by Franks 03SS; 05-31-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:01 PM
Default Low Key Jealous

Good to see you were able to get your crank pulley off to change the crank position sensor. My mechanic was not able to remove the pulley. Too bad your not in L.A. I would hire you to change mine.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:30 AM

Sorry I missed this one I could have saved you the time and sent you straight away to buy those bolts. Same thing on my 2000 Bonneville SSEi when replacing my crank sensor.

Glad to see you got it all replaced and going again though! Good looking car by the way.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft position sensor help