Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

coolig issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Default coolig issues

Has after market water temp. gauge which is off by about 20 degrees. Checked cylider compressions and they where good. Took off thermostat housing and there wasn't one so i installed a 160 degree one. Upon accident I found all 3 of my radiator fans run off a toggle switch. The guyI got the car from told me only one ran off the switch, go figure.The monte was boiling and pushing stem out the reservoir when it was turned off. Should I try checking the temp off the radiator again or take it for a spin and see how it acts when shut off? I'm assuming I shoul run the fans all the time?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Default RE: coolig issues

Hi `Chad,
Sorry to read thatyou are having problems.
Is your radiator orignal ?
Has it been flushed ? How is the core ?
Have you replaced the Rad Cap ?
Have you had your Radiator Pressure Tested ?
Sometimes a new thermostat can be bad ?
Malfunction of a thermostatin a coolant circulating path is detected from an engine side coolant temperature in consideration of the following behavior of the coolant temperature. When an open-malfunction occurs, the coolant temperature becomes different considerably from that in the normal time in the temperature range in which the thermostat is to be normally closed. When a closure-malfunction occurs, the coolant temperature becomes different considerably from that during the normal time in the temperature range in which the thermostat is to be normally opened. Alternatively, the malfunction may be detected from a difference between the engine side coolant temperature and a radiator side coolant temperature.
Please be patience, and I'm sure one of our expert member's
will add suggestions/solutions to your problems.
Good Luck, `Space

Old 11-15-2007, 01:04 PM

Really need more information on car and problem.. but sounds like there is some issues going on if there are 3 electric fans running off of toggle switches.. Were they all on when it acted up?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:12 PM

Hi `Chad,
Maybe the below information may help some : )
[:-]
MCF 101
[:-]
How Car Cooling Systems Work [/align]by Karim Nice[/align]

Inside This Article[/align]1.[/align]Introduction to How Car Cooling Systems Work [/align][/align]2.[/align]The Basics [/align][/align]3.[/align]Plumbing [/align][/align]4.[/align]Fluid [/align][/align]5.[/align]Water Pump [/align][/align]6.[/align]Engine [/align][/align]7.[/align]Radiator [/align][/align]8.[/align]Pressure Cap [/align][/align]9.[/align]Thermostat [/align][/align]10.[/align]Fan [/align][/align]11.[/align]Heating System [/align][/align]12.[/align]Lots More Information [/align][/align]13.[/align]See all Under the Hood articles[/align][/align]Although gasoline engines have improved a lot, they are still not very efficient at turning chemical energy into mechanical power. Most of the energy in the gasoline (perhaps 70%) is converted into heat, and it is the job of the cooling system to take care of that heat. In fact, the cooling system on a car driving down the freeway dissipates enough heat to heat two average-sized houses! The primary job of the cooling system is to keep the engine from overheating by transferring this heat to the air, but the cooling system also has several other important jobs.
The engine in your car runs best at a fairly high temperature. When the engine is cold, components wear out faster, and the engine is less efficient and emits more pollution. So another important job of the cooling system is to allow the engine to heat up as quickly as possible, and then to keep the engine at a constant temperature.

Diagram of a cooling system: how the plumbing is connected

In this article, we'll learn about the parts of a car cooling system and how they work. First, let's look at some basics.

[/align][/align]NEXT [/align][/align]Inside This Article[/align]

Old 11-15-2007, 03:13 PM

I ran the car 15 mins. or so today fans on. No bubbling or steam. I had not been using the fans cuz the guy told me only one ran off the switch.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the info.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:26 PM

3cooling fans?? [sm=wtf.gif]

I don't reacall any Monte with 3 electric cooling fans

Anyway aftermarket water pump and no tstat. Make sure it is the right water pump, serpentine belt systems use a reverserotation whileV belt systems use standard rotation. Can easily be mistaken they look the same.

Check for good coolant flow through radiator, just through the cap but be careful!

Good antifreeze mixture for your area.

Radiator cap holds proper pressure.

Check the radiator core for air flow obstructions.

Look for white sweet smelling exhaust.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:49 PM

I just got back from a drive with the new thermo. in and the fans running and am having no bubbling or steam out of the motor. The monte has an aftermarket radiator in it with one fan infront sucking in air and the other two in rear blowing. I also noticed way better shifting since the thermo. i put in and the fan running. Would the thermo. effect that for any reason?

Old 11-15-2007, 04:14 PM

That was great info. I'm new to all this so it helped alot. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:32 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The monte has an aftermarket radiator in it with one fan infront sucking in air and the other two in rear blowing.

Say what???????????

One fan infront sucking in air.
Two fans in the rear blowing air.

Through the radiator? This car has ZERO cooling capacity. The fans are cancelling themselves out if all are in operation.

Why would a car need 3 fans on it?

I know a guy on Chevy Talk commented a guy he knew had his electric fans hooked up backwards and instead of pulling air through the radiator, they were pushing the air from behind and this car owner couldn't figure out why his car ran so hot?

Quick Reply: coolig issues