Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Coolant flush and change

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Default Coolant flush and change

I have just bought my 07 SS a week ago and going over the service records and talking to the service advisers at the dealership where the car was bought and serviced there is no record of a coolant service. The car only has 41,000 kms on it but is six years old. I hope there is some room to over extend the life of Dex-Cool antifreeze as I have read some horror stories of this product. My recovery tank has a small amount of brown residue around the top of the filler neck and orange-brown liquid in the tank. I have read that Dex-Cool does not like air so it would stand to reason since the tank is not air tight that this might be considered as normal. I am going to clean the tank by flushing it with clean water today then on Tuesday take it to my GM dealer for the service. Hope all is well with this car.
Regards, Moe

Old 09-06-2013, 11:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I hope you have a better experience than my parents did.

It literally took 5 hours for the shop to hook up the machine to their 06 SS and flush the coolant. We were going to do it at home, and could not figure out how this system works for a flush.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i have read somewhere that you could just take a hose to the high rad hose and open the lower hose and it would flush that way or something similar to that matter

Old 09-07-2013, 06:44 AM

To do it properly you also have to backflush the heater core. So figure out what direction the pump turns will tell you how to do it.

Find the output from the w/p that goes to the heater core and take that line off and put it off to the of the engine or somewhere that it won't get into any wiring (precautionary only). Take the upper hose off, and do the same thing. back flush it with a clean source of water (water hose, etc) until it runs clear out of the port on the pump. Use your thumb to plug off the heater core hose so that it forces the water to go through the radiator and out through the top hose and through the engine.

After it runs clear, put the hoses back on and drain the radiator. Before you start you should already know the total system capacity for the cooling system.. then take that number and divide by two (50/50 mix) Then fill up to the "cold fill" area, and run the car until gets heat in it while checking for leaks and while adding coolant as needed.

There might be steam ports to undo (be careful, they are brass and will break (been there done that))

Worst case you can call over to your dealer and have them print you off the shop manual procedure on how to do it, most are pretty cool when you ask for stuff. They can possibly fax it to you if you have a fax (old school i know)

That's how I do them at the Ford dealer I work at.. There's probably some differences obviously but for the most part they're all the same