Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Computer Re-Learn

Old 10-21-2010, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Computer Re-Learn

I have a question for those in the know on the computer re-learn process after a power disruption.

The skinny: My battery died, being stupid I removed the battery and did not put the new one in for at least 5 hours. The rub is I have a high flow cat with an O2 emulator that has passed inspection for the last four years, although I show no codes and no CEL the inspection report shows the evap and O2 systems are not ready.

What I have done so for, pulled emulator off-line and plugged the O2 sensor back up, let it throw a code (50-60 miles), put the emulator back on-line (cleared the O2 code), drove it for 150 miles, no DTC's or CEL but the inspection report shows these two are still not ready.

The question is, does the O2 sensor have to communicate with the computer for any length of time to make the computer happy? I am just about at the point of replacing the CAT with stock, any help will be mucho appreciated.

2003 Monte SS 104K All in all I have around 600 miles on it since replacing the battery.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:27 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I unhook my battery in my 03 when I store it over the winter. I don't have any performance mods on it though (only a u-bend delete and a CAI). I went to get my emissions checked a 1/2 before I re hooked up the battery - I failed the test as I didn't have the battery hooked up long enough. I drove the car around for the next week - not too many miles - and I got retested and I passed.
Your computer should have recognized the O2 sensor after 150 miles - sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the info! I have a feeling that I am going to have to go back to the stock CAT (which I tossed).

I guess the old saying of you play you pay has come to visit me.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:04 AM

Great to see one of our founding Moderator's of the MCF return to his Monte Carlo Family.

Hi Moderator Montejass `Todd,
Great to read that you got your Monte Carlo S.S. back from the Mrs : )

I hope one of our expert tech's can help on your question, but Amy did what I would have done if confronted with that issue...

Look forward to seeing you online more often.
Let us know what you are planning on doing with your Monte Carlo, and how life is in the Great State of Texas....

Old 10-22-2010, 11:57 AM

After installing my high flow cat, I got the p0420 code, and we have ob2 emissions so I ended up getting a zzp pcm which eliminated the code and it allowed me to get my sticker. I think this would be your cheapest way to pass emissions if you can't get the monitors to reset without throwing a code

It generally takes a car 70-100 miles after the code is cleared to complete all the monitors so you can get a sticker.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the info Lab.

I am not throwing codes, the computer simply shows the O2 as "System Not Ready". The emulator that I have that is from ZZP is doing the same thing. I get the O2 code when I plug in the OEM sensor and get rid of the code when I re-install the emulator.

I will hold on to the idea of getting the ZZP chip though if nothing else works.

Does anyone know if the PCM communicates with the O2 sensor during the re-learn process and is it looking for variances to complete the system test? Would the emulator or chip interfere with the re-learn process?

Old 10-22-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by KidSpace
Great to see one of our founding Moderator's of the MCF return to his Monte Carlo Family.

Hi Moderator Montejass `Todd,
Great to read that you got your Monte Carlo S.S. back from the Mrs : )

I hope one of our expert tech's can help on your question, but Amy did what I would have done if confronted with that issue...

Look forward to seeing you online more often.
Let us know what you are planning on doing with your Monte Carlo, and how life is in the Great State of Texas....
Thanks Space!

The Monte will be my play toy for a while it seems, my plans are to go supercharged, trans swap and Razzi body work stuff. All said and done though I will probably get away with an air freshener to hang from the rear view mirror.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Hey Todd!

Great to see ya again!

Old 10-22-2010, 07:56 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know enough about the computer relearn process to be any help... But I LOVE the signature!

Old 10-22-2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
Hey Todd!

Great to see ya again!
You too!! Glad to see that your hanging around to keep the site going.

I don't know enough about the computer relearn process to be any help... But I LOVE the signature!
Thanks Miller.... The sig has a colorful past and was used to ward off trouble makers.

I traded e-mails with ZZP today regarding this problem and it seems that my problem may run deeper than the high flow cat and/or emulator. I am going to pull the power again to allow the computer to reset again and try the re-learn all over again. If that does not work it will have to go to the shop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Computer Re-Learn