Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

clean throttle body please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Default clean throttle body please help

hello everyone, im looking to clean my throttle body on my 2000 3400monte carlo Ls. i have a stalling problem so im guessing thats why i have to clean it. please explain to me how to do this task. also explain to me if i can put that seafoam in my car? just want to keep my car running thats all.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:41 PM
Default RE: clean throttle body please help

have you had the codes read on the car?

This would be the first step.

As far as SEAFOAM. as far as i know you can put it in any car with out harm

But you can read the can on this also.
I would make sure /

to clean the
T/B./ is nothing more then taking it off the car and useing something to get it clean and all of the moving parts moving the way they should .

WATCH OUT FOR THE MAS AIR FLOW SENSOR!!!!!! THEY ARE NOT FUN IF YOU SCREW IT UP

This will make all kinds of things act real strange LOL

But if you clena it real good and also polish it a bit it will help you with response and also sometimes fule milage.

but you can take the MAF out and set it aside so it dont get screwed up.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:46 PM

cleaning the throttle body isn't going to do anything but make the pedal in side the car smoother.
i replied to your past thread about the hesistation there is technical service bulletin on the throttle posistion sensor. just replace that. bulletin calls it a fishbite hesistation. at any where from 50mph to 60 m[h and at slower take off speeds

Old 12-07-2007, 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: lwilliam

cleaning the throttle body isn't going to do anything but make the pedal in side the car smoother.
incorrect. the build up of carbon around the throtle blade will disrupt the flow. this is where the mpg increase will come. i have seen some TB's that had about 1/8" of build up on them! over all that is a 1/4 reduction in diameter! very noticable.

if your any good with a dremal, while you have it off use the dremal to grind away at the back of the TB where you see the carbon up to the point where the metal is clean... the clean area is where it sat against the gasket and the carbon is where the surface was not. this is what is called gasket matching the TB and you will see noticable gains from this.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:03 PM

will a tb cleaner do anything to that carbon build up?

Old 12-07-2007, 07:42 PM

yes... but my fav is brake cleaner works better and faster

Old 12-07-2007, 08:31 PM

how do u take the tb out to clean it? thanx for the help by the way

Old 12-08-2007, 11:03 AM

Cleaning the TB will do wonders for your Idle, just make sure you clean the air bypass valve and port. Pull the TB from the car remove the air bypass valve clean it with CRC TB cleaner or similar spray TB cleaner then clean the TB throat and butterfly remove all the black junk and reassemble it will run like a new car! Putting seafoam in your gas tank will help clean the injectors but not the TB.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:44 PM

is there nething i should watch out for when i pull it off or just disconnect the wirin and unbolt it?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:57 AM

Just pull your elec. connectors vacuum lines and throttle cable, I don't know where your MAS is but thats the only thing you have to be careful with Don't even touch it it's very fragile. Make sure you take out the IAC valve (should be on the bottom) clean the pintle and seat. Get all the black junk with a TB cleaner when it's clean and shiney put everything back it will run like a new car. Oh disconnect the NEG. battery cable before you start, this will reset your PCM incase you dont get your IAC back in the same depth. Thats it.

Quick Reply: clean throttle body please help