Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Changing oil for storage? yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Default Changing oil for storage? yay or nay?

If your oil has maybe 2,200 miles on it, with lucas and you start it every 2 weeks, is there really any point changing the oil before storage? I've read and heard that your suppose to change it before...But as long as you start it every two weeks it shouldn't matter as long as you let it run for about 30 mins, with heat on etc and stretch the legs often?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:08 AM

i would have oil is cheap it breaks down in time i wouldn t start it at all stablizer in gas tank un hook battrey an wait 4 summer everytime u start it ur scarin the pistions an roten ur mufflers after 2 weeks ur oil is all in ur oil pan that s what i do anyways ur choice

Old 01-20-2010, 07:38 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yep - that's what I do - a clean full tank of gas (the good stuff), Stabil in the gas tank, and battery unhooked. Then I change the oil a little time after I get my car out of storage. My once a year oil change!

Old 01-20-2010, 07:48 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would change the oil AFTER leaving it in storage so if the oil is breaking down over time, you're not wasting your money. And make sure you do the full tank of gas with stabilizer. Otherwise, condensation can form in the empty space and cause your tnak to get rusty on the inside, clog up the fuel filter on the end of the pick up tube, and then your sitting on the side of hte road wondering why your car won't go anywhere.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would agree, change the oil AFTER you take it out of storage. And stop starting it every two weeks, all that is good for is keeping the battery charged, but you are doing more harm than good to your engine.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by AwsomeSS
Yep - that's what I do - a clean full tank of gas (the good stuff), Stabil in the gas tank, and battery unhooked. Then I change the oil a little time after I get my car out of storage. My once a year oil change!
Agreed.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:33 AM

As cheap as an oil change is, I would do it before and after. Used oil has acids and such in them that can damage the seals. It just seems penny wise and dollar foolish to take the chance.

I agree that putting a full tank of gas with Stabil is a good idea as you don't want the tank to accumulate water or the fuel to become varnish.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:04 PM

Otherwise, condensation can form in the empty space and cause your tnak to get rusty on the inside,
I thought our gas tanks are plastic? /shrug
I'd just change the oil when you take it out of storage. Since it's all going to drain to the bottom of the pan shortly after you shut the car off, fresh oil isn't going to make a difference if it's sitting for a few months. I could be wrong, but I think starting it up for a few minutes every few weeks could cause moisture from the exhaust to collect in the mufflers and rust them out from the inside.

-Riggs.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:07 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Are they? I've never really payed much attention to it. That would make a whole lot of sense for it to be a hardened plastic..... you're fuel can still have condensation which will make your car run weird though.... I'd still leave a full tank of gas in it.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:06 PM

I'd just change the oil when you take it out of storage. Since it's all going to drain to the bottom of the pan shortly after you shut the car off, fresh oil isn't going to make a difference if it's sitting for a few months. I could be wrong, but I think starting it up for a few minutes every few weeks could cause moisture from the exhaust to collect in the mufflers and rust them out from the inside.
x2, my monte has been in storage just over a year, and I left the old oil in it. I also don't go out and start it often either; I roll it forward/back every couple months to keep the tires from getting flat spots, and I've started and drove it around about twice- but I let it fully warm up before I put it back.

Quick Reply: Changing oil for storage? yay or nay?