Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Centrifugal supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Default Centrifugal supercharger

Hi, i don't know much about cars, but I have a 2005 Monte Carlo ls with cold air intake, dual exhaust with headers and I was wondering if I would be able to put a centrifugal supercharger on my Monte, keep in mind I only have the 3400

Old 09-26-2011, 02:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sure you can. Whether or not you can do it easily depends on your fabrication and tuning skills.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:49 PM

well I would buy the part and get my local mechanic

Old 09-26-2011, 03:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is most likely something that your local mechanic can not do.

This is something that is going to require a lot of custom fabrication, supporting modifications, engine tuning, etc.

If you know a local speed shop, perhaps it is something they can do. If you are going to pay a local mechanic per hour to do something that isn't in their books, this will be EXTREMELY costly. In fact it would probably be cheaper to sell your car and buy a car that is already supercharged.

Let us start with the basics.

Is this your first car? Do you have a lot of mechanical ability? Do you have a budget? Do you have goals that you want to meet?

Old 09-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Easy answer...No. Difficult way too expensive for the outcome answer...Yes.

Boosting a 3400 would be pretty pointless if you want my honest opinion. You would be much better off wallet and horsepower capability wise to just yank the motor out and swap over to an L67.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:23 PM

My questions would be why do you want the supercharger? Don't get me wrong I love my Supercharged Monte, but that being sai the speed limit where I live is mostly 55/60 as in highway, highest I've seen is 75 on the bigger roads. No real need for a supercharger on an everyday car which brings me to the next ? If it is your dialy driver what use would it be? Again not to be rude but If its your DD and you liek the way it looks and are satisfired with how it runs why throw that much money into it? I've traded off a lot of vehicles and gotten to what I have now (a nice 01 Ram sport and an 05 Monte SS Supercharged) and I think its time to slow down, what I mean is if you want a nice showy car save up for one while you have your DD once you have the car you want then put money into it to make it special hope that wasnt too long or rude

Old 09-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Monte04LS
My questions would be why do you want the supercharger? Don't get me wrong I love my Supercharged Monte, but that being sai the speed limit where I live is mostly 55/60 as in highway, highest I've seen is 75 on the bigger roads. No real need for a supercharger on an everyday car which brings me to the next ? If it is your dialy driver what use would it be? Again not to be rude but If its your DD and you liek the way it looks and are satisfired with how it runs why throw that much money into it? I've traded off a lot of vehicles and gotten to what I have now (a nice 01 Ram sport and an 05 Monte SS Supercharged) and I think its time to slow down, what I mean is if you want a nice showy car save up for one while you have your DD once you have the car you want then put money into it to make it special hope that wasnt too long or rude
Who wouldn't want a quick DD?!?!?! :p

Old 09-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Who wouldn't want a quick DD?!?!?! :p

Yeah good question. I DD mine, and I wouldn't have it any other way but quick......except for when I have to hit the gas station more frequently than I used to.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:56 PM

HAHA ok point taken still my LS got me where I needed to go with good gas and looked good, I just think it'd be an awful lot of work on a car (where i live anyway) which would be driven in the winter and get much wear a tear from daily driving. but again good point guys

Old 09-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Like already mentioned, it's not practical on a 3400, and it's almost isn't practical on a 3800, lol. It's fun though. But it really doesn't sound like you should do this because you said you would take it to your mechanic. If it's just a normal mechanic, he won't know where to begin with installing a CSC on your Monte. Being that there is no longer a CSC kit available for the 3400 market, the mechanic would have to design and machine a mounting setup, and let's not forget tuning the PCM. Does the mechanic also have a dyno to get the most hp out of the setup?

If you have the money and ability to do it, go turbo instead. Or L67 swap (easiest option).

Quick Reply: Centrifugal supercharger