Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

can we save this supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Default can we save this supercharger?

I went to my local pick and pull junk yard in search from some wheels for my other car, and I came upon a grand prix gtp. I popped the hood and it had the supercharger intact. The thing is it looks like the engine caught on fire when it was crashed or whatever. I twisted the pulley on the supercharger and it spun. Heres a picture of the engine bay. What do you guys think? oh and the people at that place wanted 8 bucks for it. Take it or leave it??

Here is a link to the picture of the engine bay of the car.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...gzen34/gtp.jpg

its a harsh scene.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

MY EYES!!!

I couldn't even begin to tell you if its good or bad, but i would atleast try to take it apart there and see if there is any internal damage.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

in my mind it is DOA

Old 06-04-2009, 10:24 PM

$8? seriously id take it. even if it is internally damaged u lost $8 and got to learn about a supercharger

Old 06-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

very true, i went straight to the picture without reading the whole post, you can learn a lot from a dummy or maybe a supercharger!!

Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 PM

Im definetly going to get it. Im going back to the junk yard and pull it out of the car. Like kweef said if it doesnt work at least ill have some knowlege on the supercharger. thanx guys.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:28 PM

See if they'll sell you the whole top end.
If they only want $8 for the blower, I can't imagine that they'd want much more then for the heads, lim, icm/tensioner bracket, and the balancer pulley.

You'd have a complete top swap that way, and most likely the only thing that would have been damaged by that fire would be the supercharger coupler and maybe the valve seals (both of which would be cheap to replace).

A couple hours of work and fifty bucks in parts and you'd be able to sell the top swap for close to $500 if you didn't want to use everything yourself.

-Riggs.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

The teflon seals on the rotors will be toast. Not sure it's worth anything other than as said the experience of finding out what;s going on. The parts that ARE good are worth more than $8. The manifold should be good, bearings probably not.

And then you never know. Maybe the heat was just superficial and never got into the case and everything is good. Personally, I'd try to buy the whole engine, tranny, and axles. The engine is rebuildable, as is the tranny. Cores are worth something.

BUY THE ENTIRE DRIVETRAIN!

Old 06-06-2009, 10:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

8 bucks would be worth satisfying my curiosity about the condition of the supercharger inside. IMO it looks like a puddle of aluminum but I cant tell in the picture.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:19 PM

As said above, I'd take it for $8 just to play around with, but I'd never intend to put it on a car. It has been done before, but really- a gen 3 M90 is dirt cheap nowadays anyways for one in good shape, so IMO there is really no reason to go through all the hassle of making sure that one is ok, and replacing the coupler/fluid, etc.

IMO it looks like a puddle of aluminum but I cant tell in the picture.
I'd bet its not- it takes a good deal of heat to melt aluminum, and usually underhood fires don't produce enough heat. Warping is a possiblility, but full on melting would be pretty strange. I think the reason it looks like that is from the engine cover melting into the grooves- it looks like the front part of the cover melted and dropped forward, but the top just gooed up on top of the s/c.

Quick Reply: can we save this supercharger?