Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Camshafts

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Default Camshafts

Well, I blew one of the head gaskets on my 95 Z34. I'm in the process of replacing it, and while I'm at it, am going to put in larger injectors (19 lb) and would like to put in better cams, ones basically at a "Stage I" performance level. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes them already? Also, has anyone went with an other than stock head gasket (i.e. thicker or thinner), and if so, what changes were noticed? I'm planning on putting in a stock thickness head gasket, I'm just asking out of curiosity. Last question, where is a good place to look for a better transmission? My Monte (when it runs that is lol) is right around 300 bhp, I would say, give or take 15, and with the larger injectors, and porting on the head, I'm gonna guess it'll be a bit closer to 350, and I don't really trust the stock Z34 transmission to plant that much power with out problems. Thanks for any help you guys can give me with any of these questions.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Default RE: Camshafts

first off what mods do you have right now. and why do you think you need bigginer injectors?

as for the trany, zzperformance.com

for the head gasket, deff stay at the stock thickness. these are interferance engines and you will bend a valve if you go smaller.

for the Cams... no one makes aftermarket cams for us. but you can readjust the timing of the cams. they have the writeups over at 60degreev6.com

Old 05-17-2007, 06:09 PM

Well, I want bigger injectors because I can use them, as for other modifications done to the car, that's not really something I'm advertising just yet, not till I'm finished. Let's just say that at this point, pre-injector/P&P it's running mid 14's. When I get done with everything else I'm going to do to it, I'll scan a timeslip for everyone to see, should be low 14's, maybe even high 13's when all is said and done (keeping fingers crossed on that one). Now, there is a site that has performance cams listed, I just can't remember which sight I saw them on, but it deffinetly was the only place I've ever seen them, and I also don't remember what the specifications of them are. One more question arose though. I've been researching these engines as of late, and read that the runners on the intake manifolds for the 96+ LQ1 are shorter than the ones made in 95. Has anyone else read anything about this? And thanks a ton for that website, lots of goodies there.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:31 PM

ever been to milzymotorsports.com? thats where i get all my stuff for my 04 LS. very satisfied