Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

anyone read my tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation anyone read my tune?

if you guys can help me read my tune and correct any issues it has, im basically seeing too much KR and weak gains, so my mechanic emailed it to me and i sent it to zzp also, but just to see you guy's input. i tried to post it, but its too large and i cant compress it. if your interested in seeing it, let me know and i'll send you it through email. if you dont wanna post up your email, shoot me a PM with it and i'll send it to ya. thanks guys for your help in advance!

also, my mechanic had an idea today. he popped open my pcv valve and it had oil in it. he told me that could be the reason my KR is so high, as the oil is reducing the octane as it mixes with my fuel causing premature detonation. any way to keep the oil out? anyone had this happen before?

Last edited by 2003supersport; 08-13-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:21 PM

i tried to post it, but its too large and i cant compress it.
Get it in a regular format and post it to scandepot.com so we can all see it.

If you have it in some oddball format; what do your fuel trims look like, what are your WOT O2s, and how much KR are you talking. There is really no reason that you should have KR unless there is something wrong with the car.

he popped open my pcv valve and it had oil in it. he told me that could be the reason my KR is so high, as the oil is reducing the octane as it mixes with my fuel causing premature detonation. any way to keep the oil out? anyone had this happen before?
You're always going to have oil in the PCV valve- you have a lot of oil mist in the crankcase, and your PCV valve takes crankcase air and puts it into the intakte- so naturally the oil will deposit itself along the walls because it can't make it through the turns and over sharp edges without falling out of suspension with the air.

If you ever notice- a lot of the turbo imports and stuff use a catch can to prevent this. They unhook their PCV line, and put an inline strainer in it to separate out the oil into a can, but allow the air to still flow through. For example, on my buddy's SRT4, he had oil laying in the piping at the bottom by the IC- then he added a catch can to keep that oil out.

The problem is, on the L67- its entirely internal- so a catch can is impossible. Your options are: A) fab up something for an external PCV (its been done, search on clubgp- looks ugly, and seems like a kinda tough job) B ) delete it/block it- you'll need a breather for your oil car but this isn't a great solution IMO C) live with it.

Personally, I'd go with C; if your PCV valve is in good working order, there are a lot of guys making big power with the PCV still intact; the little oil that gets in through normal operation isn't enough to make a big KR problem.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:39 PM

bumpin is corect about that about the pcv colecting little oil and what the pcv valve does. rolle with it if you see alot of smoke out the reare then worry and replace it

Old 08-14-2009, 06:40 PM

besides im a bad speller aka went to school in d.c. schools there worry about numbers not education to stay open

Old 08-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

well from the dyno, after i figured out how to read it, it shows the very last entry at 6300 RPM my A/F is 11.13 and my boost is 9.11

my mechanic is gonna try to pull the tune off HP tuners and send it to me so i can see KR and such. this was just the dyno pull.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:00 AM

well from the dyno, after i figured out how to read it, it shows the very last entry at 6300 RPM my A/F is 11.13 and my boost is 9.11
Sounds a bit rich, but otherwise ok.

my mechanic is gonna try to pull the tune off HP tuners and send it to me so i can see KR and such. this was just the dyno pull.
We can't do anything with the tune- what we need is a scan of the sensors- ie KR, fuel trims, etc

Just looking at the tune doesn't do any good because it doesn't tell you how the car will perform with that tune.

im basically seeing too much KR and weak gains,
How much KR do you have? If you're over a couple degrees, I hope you're not going WOT. If you've got more than 2-3* KR, I would unplug the BBV solenoid to limit boost until you do more mods or fix the problem.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

update:

so zooomer sent me a response email today, give me possible scenarios.

he thinks the cold start issue could be solved by him reflashing the pcm.
he also thinks that the fuel pressure could be causing the KR, as he thinks maybe a bad fuel filter. after i replaced the fuel filter about 2 months ago, thats when i noticed the KR. before that, it was fine. so thats maybe what im hoping for....or praying for actually haha.
hopefully i'll have a response tomorrow from him seeing how he wants to go about doing this.
i bought the zzp high flow fuel filter, im assuming they would replace it for me if it was bad, only 2 months old.
i'm still waiting on my mechanic to send me the o2 levels and such.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:41 PM

What is your fuel pressure at right now? If your AFR is 11.13 than I really don't see your knock issues being caused by a dirty fuel filter, or lack of fuel, period. That's pretty rich.

Honestly, 9 PSI of boost might just be too much for your car on the high compression L36 block- I hate to say it, but rolling back to a 4.0 pulley might net better results for you.

Was checking out a local guys top swapped Grand Prix a few weeks ago- VS cam, PLOG, catless downpipe, tuning, and running a stock L67 3.8 pulley and he'd been fighting KR for over a year.

Mine is running pretty good right now on the 4.2- great low end power and pulls decently up top- I'm seeing ~2-3* of part throttle, medium cylinder density, 1800-3500 RPM range KR that I'm still trying to tune out, but I honestly think it's just a matter of removing some mid-table timing.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

well, i made a decision after talking to turbo tim.
im gonna go ahead and swap out my fuel pump. and then in about a week, intercooler is coming.
the thing is, with my setup before i changed the wiring harness for the pump and the fuel filter.....i didnt have knock. only when it shifted then it immediately went away. so something is up.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:03 PM

Well good luck- maybe you gave them more information than you gave us; but there definitely isn't enough info here for any of us to give you any real help.

As said above- if you're 11.3 AFR at the shift point, I don't see how you could be running out of fuel- due to the pump or filter. If you were starving for fuel for some reason- that AFR should be going leaner (ie heading towards 13s, 14s AFR at WOT).

But like I said, we can't help you with the little tiny bits of info posted here.

Quick Reply: anyone read my tune?