Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

ALMOST FINISHED RACE MOTOR FOR THE 3800II

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ALMOST FINISHED RACE MOTOR FOR THE 3800II

Hello, just stopped into look around at the posts. Figured to let peeps in this section know I had some custom one of a kind "Billeted Rods" made for my engine. I'm told they are one of a kinds, no others in the world like themas all the other rods available are either cast or powder metal. A shop in Las Vegas "Lawless engines" suggested I have these made to insure no failure at high hp levels so here they are. Hope I can post a picture of them. Dropped $1,600 on them. Also had a new virgin crank brought in and then shipped it out to have it "Cryo-treated" as they only come in a "cast" configuration. Could not believe it when I found out that no cranks for the 3800 motors are forged, even for the Supercharged cars.

Crap I cant load them it keeps saying "File to Large" You cansee my car and the parts I'm using by clicking on the link below.Have dropped a butt load of coin on the mods. We are expecting a 11.50 second car from what's been done at the Salt Lake City altitude where I live,perhaps a 10.5 in Vegas.

Added a 8 point cage,new Sparco seats,Methanol system,full built race motor, etc. Scope it out, I expect to have the build finished by 14 July 08,then Brian from Intense Racing in Ohio will fly out to Dynoand Tune the whole assembly. Can't frikin wait, I have been with out my car for 8 months now waitingforall the mods to been completed. GRRRR!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2579093 LINK TO MY CAR

http://www.lawlessengines.com/ SHOP THAT MADE THE RODS AND MACHINED MY MOTOR , GOOD OPERATION HERE

Old 07-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Default RE: ALMOST FINISHED RACE MOTOR FOR THE 3800II

ok....first off crazy props for spending that kinda cash.

I have a problem though...well ok, i should rephrase. its not a problem, its a question. What made you think you were going to need forged rods when there are 2 gp's running 8's on the L32 rods, and even a bunch running 9's?

Just curious, its def. cool to see new products for the market, I was just really surprised that you shelled out 1600 or whatever for a part not really necisary...but, hey what the hell right? Your helping the community in the long run i guess.

Car looks pretty good so far, I cant wait to see what you put down for numbers. With that setup, I am guessing 26lbs of boost with meth, and a 10.90 You can run all the friggin boost you want on that bottom end.

Too bad you couldnt hold out like 2 more months lol. C.O.M.E. in australia I believe is releasing there billet crank and stroker kit (4.2l)

NASTY build though man. Keep us posted.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Hey, back at you. Hell I don't know why the rods needed to be so strong. Lawless builds $100,000 motors and they said in their opinion the powder metal rods wont hold up in the long run. So me being the kind a guy who wants to do it right said okay lets build em. Alot of peeps said I didn't need them,but again these guys build high hp motors and they said if one came apart it would look like someone sand blasted the inside of the motor. So for all the money the motor,fuel system,transaxle,electronics and such $1600 wasnt that much more, if the other rods came apart , I was told parts could bind up and cause other components to sieze up. Hell, I don't do this for a living and figured they do so I listened to them. So now the bottom end is very strong. see how much it can handle pretty soon. The rods took 13 weeks to make and actually cost $1495 plus s/h so almost $1600 for them. The crank was $850 plus $225 to Cryo and $200 shipping, everyone had their hands on my money. I did not know when to reasonably to say NO!, so up went the mods. LOL, to funny in one way.

Oh sure now they come out with a billeted crank, again, too funny, thanks for the update though,Nice to know bout them.

The boost should be pretty high I reckon. Brian from Intense had me add another spring to the wastegate to be able to tune it to handle up to 30 lbs boost. He says he knows how to milk every bit of power out of the 3800 setup. Can't wait for him to do his magic.

Thanks for the props bud, I was hoping other Monte owners would appreciate the efforts being exerted here. Trying to do us all right. To many times before I had to just sit and watch the EVO's, WRX's, Chargers and such just roll up on me and not even try to get away as they are just gaining on me and I'm pedal to the metal. So now, it's time for opening a few eyes.

Take care, I will keep the community posted after the car is on the road again as to how it dialed in and such. Thanks for the input. Best regards, Greg Hubbs

link to the methanol system being used. Good system

http://www.coolingmist.com/

Old 07-04-2008, 11:35 PM

Wow, what a setup. Gotta see these numbers!!

Old 07-05-2008, 07:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Thats one sick ride. I think I looked it over once on cardomain before, but you didnt have quite as much done at the time. I like that you kept the outside reasonably stock. Its gonna be one hell of a sleeper.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:37 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

that dude must be charging a fortune to fly out from ohio to tune your car. i'm just making assumptions, but i assume it will be trailered to the drag strip? if not, you got a MEAN street racer.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:49 AM

Judging by the tires, I think it's a street driven car, a trailer queen would have race tires I would think.
When you spendthat much on the engine and other components, what the hell, why not fly out a guy to dyno tune yourcar.
As Mr. T said "I pity the foo" who pulls up in their stock.....well, most anything....lol

Old 07-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Hey guys good news it will be a street driven car,thats what I wanted to make something for us out here in the real world.Kept the exterior pretty stock,cept for the hood,probably will end up pulling the turbo badges off it,they may look kinda cheesy, what do you all think?Of course it will see the track to get a time slip just so we all know where it stands, but she will be on the road waiting for some other ride to roll up on me and then start some trouble with em. I have been with out this car for so long now,it eats at me to see all the nice cars out there zipping around and me being in my pickup chugging along. But the day of reckoning is close.

Intense Racing is having Brianfly out on their dime to do the dyno & tune.I bought Intense's owner Scott Cooks motor from his 9 sec. Pontiac and it had issues which escalated intothe full blown engine build we now have and so Intense is ponying up the dyno time coin and labor.I just have to pick up the air,hotel,rental car. We think in 2 days the dyno session will be done. So it will be about $1000 from me, not bad after all the coin dropped into it now, just want it to run impeccable. Will drive it back from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City, yeehah!! Okay enough rubbing my hands together, just pray everyone involved in the build did their job properly.

By the way I'm pleased to be in touch with you other Monte lovers. It's comforting to know there are other's out here who enjoy their Monte's and have fun with them.They are great looking cars, and are what they are. We can enjoy them for that. Some of my friends into the Stangs and such say it was the wrong platform to build on but hell we don't want to be like all the other cookie cutter Stangs out there. No matter how much money you put into a Mustang they still look cheap. Well I will admit some of the very new ones look trick. I was at the Carroll Shelby factory in Vegas and saw the new "Super Snake" ouch guys, these are poisonous!! They will be so frikin bad out there.

I will take it to Super Chevy in Tulsa, Ok in October hope to turn a few heads with the passes it makes. I was registered for NOPI here in Salt Lake City to run in the FWD 1 power adder class but they cancelled the Colorado & Utah events due to funding issues. GRRR!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 09:19 AM

Beautiful car.

Couple of things. First if you want to post pics here, in the insert pic tab, just enter the web address for the picture you want to post. I had the same problem when i first started posting here.

Second. Ok you have all this mad power, suspension, and so forth which i completely appreciate, but what are you using for brakes?? I own a brake and suspension company here in San Diego and I can't tell you how many times i have seen gorgeous cars wrecked because there was no brake upgrade performed. Just curious.

Tom
Frederico Performance
MovIt Brakes USA

Here is one of my rides done just like yours->http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ala/index.html

Old 07-05-2008, 09:21 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

haha, out to make a sell... lol

but he is right.. do need a big brake kit for that car...

Quick Reply: ALMOST FINISHED RACE MOTOR FOR THE 3800II