Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Opinion Needed: advice on NOS

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 06:09 PM
Default advice on NOS

does anybody here have a monte running on NOS? how safe is it and what upgrades do you need to support it,i don't want to have much running in it and don't really know how it works,i thought about running it on an l67...would this be a good Idea? I don't want to blow the car up

Old 05-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wanted to do NOS, but the shop that built my car said they did not think it was something I would really want to do. They run dragsters and such, yet don't use NOS. Guess it is a big learning curve to know bottle temps, pressures and such, plus the random solenoid failure and POP. Don't have the money to rebuild a custom engine. Perhaps a stock L67 would be cheap enough to experiment on...

I think a stock L67 could handle NOS without any mods. How long? Who knows, buy top of the line equipment and it may survive for a long time.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:44 PM

Weren't you going to do an engine swap? I definitely wouldn't mess with nitrous until you get that done.

With that said, there is a lot of information on the net about nitrous. The nice thing about nitrous is that it is completely independent of the engine it is installed on, so you don't have to only focus your research on 3800s.

It works just fine and is quick and easy power. There are really a few downsides though:
-It is easy to get carried away with power. The difference between a 50hp shot and a 250 hp shot is a few dollars in jets and 10 minutes. The bigger the shot, the harder it is on the engine/trans, and the more likely to break stuff / run out of fuel on the top end, etc.
-While it may seem like a cheap power adder, it adds up quickly to build a good kit. It's easy to get lured in with a $500 bare bones kit, bit those typically have few-no safety features. Also, the accessories get expensive too- progressive controllers, purge kits, bottle warmers, remote bottle openers, NANO kit, etc. Plus, if you're going to use it often over a long period of time, you can end up sinking a ton of money in nitrous refills alone.

IMO, there are only a few good uses for nitrous:
-To aid in spooling a big turbo. You can run a little shot and cut it off once you're into your powerband, so it can be a simple kit, a small shot, and won't use much nitrous.
-As a major power adder for a car that you don't plan to keep a long time and don't want to go through all the custom work and expense of properly adding power. The kits are very easy to take out and leave no trace that the car was ever modded when you go to sell it.
-As a hidden system for trying to hustle people at street races. There are a lot of tricks to conceal the equipment, and it takes a much better trained eye to spot it than a big supercharger or turbos.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:54 PM

that's exactly what im looking for a small cheap hidden trick up my sleeve,im doing the l67 swap and plans so far is 1.9 rockers,ported throttle body and supercharger,CAI,downpipe and a few other things that will aid in acceleration,im not a big to speed guy,i like to have a lot of tourqe and get up and go,thats why I wanted to get an opinion on a small shot of nos,i seen nitrousexpress.com for $500 but like you said it has no safety features on any extras

so my question now is how well does the l67 handle it? if things go good in the future I might think about getting better heads that's why im taking it slow on this project

Old 05-02-2015, 11:13 PM

IMO at your mod level, I'd rather see you put that $500+ into a cam or an intercooler. Sure, you're not going to get 100+ hp like you could from nitrous, but at least the power would always be there and you wouldn't have to worry about running out. It would be different if you were close to maxing out your setup, but what you are proposing is just minor bolt ons, so there is still room to easily add power.

As for how well the 3800 handles it, power is power. There are guys running 500+ whp on a stock bottom end with turbo setups, so it'll handle spray just fine assuming no malfunctions and a properly tuned setup. It is true that nitrous comes in hard, but if you start getting into the larger shots, youll probably be wanting to run a progressive controller anyways for traction/transmission reasons. One difficulty in running a huge shot, especially with the l67, is that it is much more difficult to plumb a direct port setup since there is so little runner exposed for each cylinder. A few people have used NOSZLE setups under the injectors, but your options are limited.

Honestly, nitrous isnt particularly popular on 3800s. NA guys tend to gravitate to top swaps or turbos for more power. L67 guys have lots of mods available to add a huge amount of power for reasonable money. People who aren't satisfied with that, stick on a turbo, and those can be set up to make more power than you could ever reasonably hook on street legal tires. So there isn't really a big gap that nitrous can fill.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-02-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:27 PM

I just need something to make me run with all the v8's around here,theyre not quick or anything but they do have a lot of torque,i don't want to get put to shame by all these 17 yr old girls driving v8 mustangs either lol,i had that problem in my eclipse

Old 05-02-2015, 11:30 PM

I wouldn't use the nos until I had to line up with something I know I couldn't run with,but if modded rockers+cam+other mods(any ideas?)=an unexpected powerful monte then I would go for that,thats the main reason I want the l67 theres much more supports for it

Old 05-02-2015, 11:59 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by KingWord
I just need something to make me run with all the v8's around here,theyre not quick or anything but they do have a lot of torque,i don't want to get put to shame by all these 17 yr old girls driving v8 mustangs either lol,i had that problem in my eclipse
I feel you here, that's why I built my Monte, tired of always getting shut down by most everyone and everything...

Old 05-03-2015, 12:03 AM

is it fast now? I don't want to make mine a dragster or anything I just want to show these kids how its done lol

Old 05-03-2015, 12:32 AM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by KingWord
is it fast now? I don't want to make mine a dragster or anything I just want to show these kids how its done lol
Last time out it was a 12 sec. car. I ran against a newer Mach1 and ate him up. A Gt-500 took me by a fender at the track. Takes out enough and makes most others earn their victory. 499 whp. It has earned it's respect around here from the young (who usually like the build, to the old who hold me in disdain because it's not a 55 Chevy or 68 Camaro etc...

Quick Reply: Opinion Needed: advice on NOS